Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-12-09, 06:00 PM   #1
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Rise of Flight Demo Confirmed

http://wwiaircombat.com/articles/ris...demo-confirmed

So it begins.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 06:30 PM   #2
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

The answers to questions #3 and #5 will unfortunatly keep me from being a customer.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 06:47 PM   #3
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter
So it begins.
It so ends in my case,
seeying those answers and their policy of purchasing pairs of aircraft...

HunterICX
Old 03-12-09, 06:53 PM   #4
Kratos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I was really looking forward to this game as well ah well another few quid saved for a rainy day.

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 07:34 PM   #5
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Checkout the screenshots. Since I have FSX Deluxe Gold I'm getting this and the two mission packs.

WWI Missions game.

http://www.abacuspub.com/default_fs.html

Old 03-12-09, 09:20 PM   #6
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
The answers to questions #3 and #5 will unfortunatly keep me from being a customer.
Pity, especially since #3 is very common for today's games (most require an Internet connection) and #5 isn't that big of a deal (just fly a training mission or a SP mission).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
It so ends in my case,
What was your problem with their answers? Oh- could you also give a link to their purchase policy.
Old 03-12-09, 11:43 PM   #7
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Oh well....

ROF, RIP...
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 01:08 AM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Hi SH I just won't buy a game I have to connect to play.

I have a good friend who is between jobs and can't afford internet.

He'd be screwed now.

Old 03-13-09, 03:48 AM   #9
BilboSmeggins
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

I am subscribed to the iracing service, which is also internet only. At first it is a big deal, but in the end you live with it. Bottom line is - if it's quality you will succumb in the end.........
BilboSmeggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 04:56 AM   #10
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:

Quote:
It so ends in my case,
What was your problem with their answers? Oh- could you also give a link to their purchase policy.
Well, if my ISP is doing something and I don't have internet for a while it seems I can't play ROF.

I know many games have this new DRM, but then you wont need to insert the disc as long your connected to the internet, if it fails well you have to insert the disc and voila I still can play the game. And what about if their server is down or having issues...you cant play your game either, so its harsh to not include an offline mode.

and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFT
10/16/2008 11:28:19 AM

1) Yes, we are preparing full missions’editor for the release. It will be available soon, that’s all I can say by now 2) Free: Newport 28, Albatros D5. Also you will be able to get two new planes at the day of release for additional payment - Spad XIII, Fokker DVII. Further we plan to let out 1-2 new planes in a month (preliminary) 3) We do our best to make game ready by 2008. Under specific circumstances it may be ready by first quarter 2009.
http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/Octobe...spx?lang=en-US

look in the comments.

HunterICX
Old 03-13-09, 05:19 AM   #11
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

I don't actually care about the internet connection required to play, what really kills the game for me is the limited plane count and the limited campaign (I mean, 1917-1918 with only the Germans or Americans playing with 2 planes?)

Can't see any reason why this one would top a good modded RB3D in any way except the graphics
Old 03-13-09, 05:51 AM   #12
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

What do I do if the company goes belly up in the near future and shuts down it's server? Shall i throw my copy of ROF in the garbage bin then?

Thanks, a no go for me.
Besides two planes to start with is redicolous.
Old 03-13-09, 03:30 PM   #13
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well, if my ISP is doing something and I don't have internet for a while it seems I can't play ROF.
Same case for a lot of other games since most today require an Internet connection. Why do you need to play ROF right at that moment? If your ISP is updating something and has shut down, then go watch a World War I movie, listen to some music, read a book, or talk with some friends for a few hours.

Quote:
I know many games have this new DRM, but then you wont need to insert the disc as long your connected to the internet, if it fails well you have to insert the disc and voila I still can play the game.
The difference between this system and DRM is that DRM gets in and screws with your registry files. Once it gets in, it's incredibly hard to get it out. I learned that the hard way when I bought SPORE.

It's either that Draconian software BS or a required Internet connection. Take your pick.

Quote:
And what about if their server is down or having issues...you cant play your game either, so its harsh to not include an offline mode.
Their main center has many servers (look at their staff photos and they have some pics of how many they have). If one fails, you've got plenty more. If they fail, you've still got backup servers. It's pretty much the same kind of deal for Relic's and THQ's Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFT
2) Free: Newport 28, Albatros D5. Also you will be able to get two new planes at the day of release for additional payment - Spad XIII, Fokker DVII. Further we plan to let out 1-2 new planes in a month (preliminary)
I've got new information, though, that says otherwise (from February 27, 2009):

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_400a.html

I quote:

There were 4 planes and 4 missions available to select in this build version (but there will be many more in the final shipping version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
I don't actually care about the internet connection required to play, what really kills the game for me is the limited plane count and the limited campaign (I mean, 1917-1918 with only the Germans or Americans playing with 2 planes?)
Again:

http://www.simhq.com/_air12/air_400a.html

There were 4 planes and 4 missions available to select in this build version (but there will be many more in the final shipping version).

That comes from a February 27, 2009 report from Doug Atkinson (and I have trusted his reviews for a long time). Hunter's source comes from October 2008. It seems their original plans have been changed (I'm guessing you'll still get to purchase new planes, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
Can't see any reason why this one would top a good modded RB3D in any way except the graphics
No other mod out there for RB3D simulates all that ROF has to offer, not even Full Canvas Jacket (and I LOVED my Full Canvas Jacket back in the day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder
What do I do if the company goes belly up in the near future and shuts down it's server? Shall i throw my copy of ROF in the garbage bin then?
Do you by chance have STEAM? If so, did you ever ask that same question about their games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder
Besides two planes to start with is ridiculous.
First off, I've already supplied, twice now, a February 27, 2009, SimHQ review of the game that states there are currently four planes (and four single player missions) to choose from, but the final build will include many more. Hunter's quote came from October 2008, quite a while ago. Second, paying an extra $10 for more planes isn't that big of a deal (I'm guessing they still have that in, since the article didn't mention anything about that being removed). I spend more than that picking up something to eat from the deli. Third, the devs have already said that the game will be modder-friendly (meaning there's a lot of potential for awesome and original aircraft to be made in the future by third party sources).

I think I'll start a thread revolving around that SimHQ review so people can find out what the game will be like before they start going into a frenzy.
Old 03-13-09, 03:40 PM   #14
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

I understand why they and others do this.

To protect their game from being stolen for free.

Old 03-13-09, 03:53 PM   #15
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Same case for a lot of other games since most today require an Internet connection. Why do you need to play ROF right at that moment? If your ISP is updating something and has shut down, then go watch a World War I movie, listen to some music, read a book, or talk with some friends for a few hours.
I've been weeks without internet due ISP is fixing the whole network as storm caused it to fail everywhere. could happen again....

Quote:
Quote:
I know many games have this new DRM, but then you wont need to insert the disc as long your connected to the internet, if it fails well you have to insert the disc and voila I still can play the game.
The difference between this system and DRM is that DRM gets in and screws with your registry files. Once it gets in, it's incredibly hard to get it out. I learned that the hard way when I bought SPORE.

It's either that Draconian software BS or a required Internet connection. Take your pick.
(see below)

Quote:
Quote:
And what about if their server is down or having issues...you cant play your game either, so its harsh to not include an offline mode.
Their main center has many servers (look at their staff photos and they have some pics of how many they have). If one fails, you've got plenty more. If they fail, you've still got backup servers. It's pretty much the same kind of deal for Relic's and THQ's Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts.
I happen to have CoH, and I like their policy.
with internet you have an online check, no CD required in the drive

if you dont have internet at the moment, Insert the Disk as it asks for it and you can play OFFLINE.

ROF could do the same deal, but they wont...well too bad.
OFFLINE is a must so people wont be prevented from playing their purchased games. if I purchase software I want to be in control of it and I decide whenever I can run/play it, NOT THEM.

HunterICX