SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-16, 04:40 AM   #61
Krieg Francis
Medic

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 0

Looks promising, wonder if it has a free patrol system like SH5 and a first person character as well!
Krieg Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 08:38 AM   #62
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

well, they added the very basics for manual targeting. nothing new to see there

But the water-graphics and the boat's flotation are really nice. Especially the water is very very good.

Lets see, maybe they will end up changing course for creating a simulator rather than a fun game

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 09:55 AM   #63
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
well, they added the very basics for manual targeting. nothing new to see there
Not exactly - at previous film the auto-targeting were presented. The crew need a "few second" to collect data to attack enemy. And well, energy management (light bulbs consuming energy in ampers) may be funny.
From auto-targeting to manual targeting this is a step forward for fans of subsims.

Source:

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-16, 09:59 AM   #64
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I hope they do not listen too much to the hardcore sim crowd. I backed it because it had a fresh concept, and if it turns out to just be another variation on the Silent Hunter 3 formula I will be very disappointed.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-16, 04:25 PM   #65
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Andrev View Post
Not exactly - at previous film the auto-targeting were presented. The crew need a "few second" to collect data to attack enemy. And well, energy management (light bulbs consuming energy in ampers) may be funny.
From auto-targeting to manual targeting this is a step forward for fans of subsims.
yes ,surely,it is a step forward for them (and very wellcome indead)
Lets hope to continue adding more features on sim elements

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 01:41 PM   #66
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
I hope they do not listen too much to the hardcore sim crowd. I backed it because it had a fresh concept, and if it turns out to just be another variation on the Silent Hunter 3 formula I will be very disappointed.
IDK man. I get having to make a game more playable to more people. But in the end I think if it's too easy or not as realistic then replayablity becomes a factor. The Reason Aces and SH3/5 kept me coming back was the replayablity and nod to realism.

I can't fault anyone for making more Sims...as exposure itself should always be good. But I still think a SH6 "game changer" Uboot sim has Everything for Everyone. Read: Options. Whether that be Modablity (read: customization) or scaling Realism and adjustable computer performance parameters. More importantly it must move the chains for a uboot sim.....Read: it should incorporate everything good from the past and add to it. This should be the minimum request from sub simmers.....progress. It just sad when some of these games come out and Aces of the Deep is still a better sim (albeit with crappy graphics). Sorry to Rant or open up old wounds....just wanted to put in my 2 cents on what I think is important.

This game looks a little too hokey and point and click for my tastes.....but that is just a first impression off of limited information. Love the graphics minus explosions. Game looks too arcade for a simulator tho (maybe that is the point).
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 04:55 PM   #67
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

The thing about Aces of the Deep though was that it was much more simplified compared to SH3. There's no manual targeting, no need to operate manual sonar or radar stations, and the original didn't even have manual gunnery in it. It just wasn't that complex of a game, but the combat felt realistic and the game had atmosphere in spades. Objectively, AoD is a lot closer to Silent Service than Silent Hunter in sim aspects.

The thing is I don't feel like the SH3-5 series are particularily well-designed games. But because there has been no competition whatsover in the genre, they are the only playable design. As good as AoD was, it is pretty much unplayable today. SH1 has held up better, but is an inferior game. And I didn't throw $100 at Uboot just to have it turn into SH3++. If they had pitched it like that I wouldn't have backed it.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 07:28 PM   #68
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

Quote:
But because there has been no competition whatsover in the genre, they are the only playable design.

If they had pitched it like that I wouldn't have backed it.
100% agree....which is why I like the idea of more uboat ims....if anything to spark more interest...and thus more competition.

And I like when we live in this era of crowdfunded projects...as it makes more things possible.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 01:33 AM   #69
MekStark
Seaman

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
Lets see, maybe they will end up changing course for creating a simulator rather than a fun game
those two aren't exactly mutualy exclusive but from my perspective the more the hardcore realism crowd takes over the less fun and general appeal remains; something that we might see more in crowdfunded titles age
MekStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-16, 03:44 AM   #70
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

I just found out that they actually call the game a 'WW2 survival sandbox' which is great news in terms of replay value!

While I find that putting the crew of a u-boat into the spotlight is very interesting and a welcome change of pace I hope that exactly that won't make it too easy in the end!
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 07:40 PM   #71
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

I am pretty excited about this myself. Is the release date around January sometime?
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 09:31 PM   #72
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

fullmetaledges! Always good to have another Minnesota boy lurking around...after a long silent run! I'm an old 'cake eater' myself!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-02-17 at 09:43 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 10:06 PM   #73
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
fullmetaledges! Always good to have another Minnesota boy lurking around...after a long silent run! I'm an old 'cake eater' myself!
Awesome man. I have only lived here a little over a year, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 06:17 AM   #74
Blackened
Nub

Downloads: 1

Quote:
I think you guys are underestimating the word sim in "SIM". Ubisoft left Silent Hunter's image broked beyond repair after 5 and I dont think they will ever make another sub sim after that. The crew from UBOOT saw the opportunity here and by the look of things grabbed it with both hands.

On the other hand any submarine sim worth its salt should have difficulty settings to accommodate for both the casual gamers and hardcore sim fans. Soft-core gamers play a game for a week/month max where hardcore sim gamers can play a game for many years to come.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-17, 11:45 AM   #75
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Blackened!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uboot silent hunter