SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-16, 01:43 PM   #1
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default Quick Mission Editor Tutorial (Basic)

So a friend of mine had a question about the editor a few days ago but i wasn't able to answer him then, so I decided I would make a quick guide which I can share with everyone.

This will cover how to create units during a mission using triggers.

So for this example, lets put down a few units: ourselves in a submarine, a hostile fishing boat and a hostile kilo. Each unit will need a tactic to follow, I used barrier (unit will travel back and fourth between the two points).

Our goal is to have an enemy submarine spawn in when the fishing boat is destroyed.

Ok next step is very important! Nothing will work if you forget to do this: Create a dynamic group and put the kilo in it. SET THE PROBABILITY OF INCLUSION FOR THE GROUP TO ZERO!

<< FROM THE MANUAL, READ!

Ok it's all pretty easy from here on.

Right click on the fishing boat and attach a kill trigger to it. When the trigger is activated you will want to select the action "Create Objects" and select the group you made that contains the kilo.

That's all there is to it! You can quickly verify that it works by shooting the fishing boat with truth on and the Kilo should spawn right in when you destroy it.

It really is that simple! Once you understand how this works it is not too hard to expand this idea to include all kinds of random factors. You can even use triggers to have units change ROE during a mission, suddenly becoming hostile or friendly, etc.

Go experiment and have fun!

EXTRAS: More from the mission editor manual

Page 61
rentacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 04:02 PM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Good work Rentacow
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 04:44 PM   #3
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I spent a whole week in the editor, learning a lot, and cussing a lot (this editor is incredible bitchy and inflexible unfortunately). However, I was thinking about starting some sort of glossary where people using the editor and look into.
For example "How do I delay the completion of an objective?" or stuff like that, whatever comes to mind.

A summary of "how-to's", in the end.
Old 09-17-16, 02:26 PM   #4
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
I spent a whole week in the editor, learning a lot, and cussing a lot (this editor is incredible bitchy and inflexible unfortunately). However, I was thinking about starting some sort of glossary where people using the editor and look into.
For example "How do I delay the completion of an objective?" or stuff like that, whatever comes to mind.

A summary of "how-to's", in the end.
Brilliant idea! Get to it!
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 03:04 PM   #5
USA~Driver
Watch

Downloads: 74
Default Thanks man!!

Righteous! knew this could be done. Going to put this to good used soonest.
USA~Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-16, 06:52 PM   #6
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
Brilliant idea! Get to it!
I might at some point, but I'm not really motivated to do that at the moment.

It also should be a shared project, open source so to say. While I am OK with the editor, I'm sure there are other who master it way better than I do.
Old 09-19-16, 02:15 AM   #7
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

I love the idea of an open source project to document the editor. Nothing of the sort currently exists that I can find, beyond the manual itself. I would gladly contribute.
Old 09-19-16, 03:45 AM   #8
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well, I'd suggest some sort of library with examples of typically used triggers and scripts.
The benefit of something like this might encourage people with potentially great scenario ideas (and design talent) to start fiddling around with the editor.
Wouldn't blame anyone for becoming frustrated with that one quickly, so who knows.
Another reason is the automatic exchange between mission designers. "I show you mine, you show me yours" so to speak.
Designer A probably does things differently than designer B and maybe designer A has a better/easier/more reliable way to achieve a certain procedure/goal, so designer B might learn something in the process.

Additionally, one could discuss/add/suggest some sort of 'framework' for what a mission should contain and how it should be done (efficiently and reliably).
My personal workflow looks like this:

1. Scenario design (Notepad++)
A. Background and story (who, why, what, how and the necessary research)
B. Final objectives/goals (go here, kill that, ...)
C.
Complete briefing in basic OPORD format (Situation, Mission, Execution, ...)
D. Clear and unambiguous mission objectives (nothing worse than having to guess what to do!)
E. Spell check (!)

2. Scenario creation (DW editor)
A. Create area template which may include:
I. Map markers, borders, water/wind zones, environmental conditions, player unit(s).
B. Create core units & assign orders (goal important)
C. Create goals and related triggers/scripts

D. Initial scenario testing (triggers firing, units doing what they're supposed to, ...)
E. Correcting errors and adding ambient traffic (civilians, buildings, ...)

3. Scenario quality assurance
A. Are the objectives possible to achieve?
B. Do all triggers and scripts work as intended?
C. Spell check again!

4. Initial Release

As for the actual library... we could brain-storm what it could/should contain.
The very basics like easy objectives, or only advanced stuff?
And how to determine which is which?

Example:

Violation of ROE = End mission
If the player engages before being engaged a text report appears that informs the player of being relieved of command.
The mission then ends automatically after 10 seconds.

Side 0 = Player
Side 1 = Enemy

1. Set sides to peace time.

2. Create script that changes side 1 ROE to war.
3. Create script that ends mission.

4. Create trigger that activates the change ROE script once side 0 is detected.
5. Create trigger that checks if side 1 is engaged by the player and if the trigger to change the ROE was NOT fired -> run Script to end mission with a duration (delay) of 10 seconds.

OK, sounds messy maybe, but I was too lazy to make screenshots and it is out of my head - but you get the basic idea?
This, or something like this (preferably with screenshots), could be done for every 'procedure' and thus, we'd have a nifty library to use.
This is especially handy after a longer break from DW/the editor, so you don't have to re-learn everything from scratch, which can be time consuming and also discouraging, at least for me it was before.

Thoughts?

Old 09-19-16, 05:11 PM   #9
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

I was thinking the same thing as you.

My idea was to use Google Sheets to compile an easy to use directory of information taken straight from the manual and put into a practical demonstration.

Obviously this is just a very rough draft, using the points you outlined above. It will need to be further organized and expanded upon, to cover all the bases.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

You will need to save a copy for yourself to modify it for now, but the nice thing about google sheets is it allows the sharing of a single copy which can be modified by multiple people so that everyone else can see the most recent version as more tutorials are created, or opt to add more content themselves!

For the tutorials, Google Slides has similar sharing and collaboration features and works much like Microsoft PowerPoint. I created a 2 slide example and linked it in the spread sheet directory.

Example of Google Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

PM me an email address I can send a collaborator link to. You can start adding stuff right away. I can help you get screenshots too.

Last edited by rentacow; 09-19-16 at 10:23 PM.