SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-17, 07:17 AM   #1
modelrrfan51
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
radar Manual torpedo attack

Is the manual targeting suppose to work the same for the rear tubes and it does for the front. When using the front tubes, manual targeting work great. Put in speed, AOB, but do not do range, since this seems to give me so really riducules angle, usually well after the target. But when use the rear tubes, put in speed, AOB, but do not do range. When look at the TDC, still show firing the front tubes. Only way to get a torpedo track on the attack map is to do the range. When do the range, this show torpedo track on attack map, but its almost at a 90 degree angle. So have to turn the sub until get the track back in front of target, then having to guess at fire time since now sub track is parallel to target in opposite directions depending on target course. So is there a secret to getting the rear tubes to work the same as the front tubes with the TDC? Also is the TDC suppose to reset after each attack? Know that when had to use range for a rear shot, next shot after that, the range stayed the same and had the do the range again for a front shot, and then torpedo track is behind target. I am using SH4 1.4, and this was a brand new disc in a sealed unopened box. So do I have some glitches and maybe need to uninstall and reinstall or do I need to figure out how to install any updates or mod to SH4.
modelrrfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-17, 08:43 AM   #2
Hellguard3
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

Model, you should select a loaded rear torpedo tube and it will give you the computed solution. Also with your range inputs, you should use this as it brings your chance of success up dramatically.(unless you are doing g a Dick O'kane approach, which it does not look like by the sound of your solution.

A great way to learn to range right is too look at the attack map (with map contact updates ON) Identify (with the book) and range your target in the periscope, input AOB and speed. (I 3:15 them on the nav map to get speed) on the left of the screen turn on the Position Keeper (That's important) Now look at the AM (attack map).

You should see your target now with your periscope up (the red ship ) AND your solution, (a white X with a line pointing away from it. This x represent what you told the computer the target is AND it's speed and bearing.

Now you fiddle with this solution to make it match the boats speed and course.

Note: all changes must be made in the periscope in the stock game.

If the X is on the far side of the target from you, you need to range it closer. If it's closer to you then range it further. Until the X is on the enemy.

Now check out the line coming from the X. If it's not pointing the same way as your target, Adjust AOB until it's dead on. (At this time if your AOB was off allot you may need to rerange them.)

Now tune in their speed so the X is moving at the same rate as your target. I dial it in close by mentally seeing the X the waiting 15 seconds and see if it's in a different spot. Once your happy with the solution take your shot (front or stern tube,both work fine)

You can play around with the solution and zig zag it to target instead of putting new ranges in, also adjusting speed well above the target or below to let it catch up, or drop back to if your AOB or speed was off and got the solution too far from target.

I like to make sure my solution is visually centered closer to the BOW of the boat because I think there's a slight inaccuracy in the game with the updating contacts.

Sorry for the long post.
Hellguard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-17, 04:53 PM   #3
modelrrfan51
Watch

radar Thanks

Hellguard,
How do you determine when to fire torpedos. This is one I just did and missed. If you have a ship coming from right to left and you are on a 90 degree course to target.
Ok, this is a aft torpedo shot. I put in speed first, 12 knots, then put in AOB, 90 degrees, then do a distance, 3600 yds at 250 degrees on periscope. Check attack map, showing torpedo track about 30 degrees from the 90 degree from stern of sub. So question is when looking through periscope, when do you fire, at what degree in periscope?
Recap, so target coming from right to left, you are 90 degrees from ships track. AOB is 90 degrees. Attack map show torpedo track about 30 degrees to right of the 90 degree of the track of the sub. So when do you fire torpedos looking through scope.
Old 05-30-17, 12:19 PM   #4
Hellguard3
Swabbie

Once you have a solution you like you can fire "anytime" the more accurate the solution the less chance of a miss.

What I do is I look at the attack map and wait for the torpedo track to almost 90 with the targets track and then switch to scope, or fire from the attack map if there is only one target.

Remember 90 for the track may not be in front of your boat, you can be angled as much as 35 degrees from 90 (someone check me on this) and still have a solution which when fired at the right moment will hit 90 to the target.

I sometimes add a half to 1.5 degrees spread angle in the direction of target travel depending on distance to account for a target speed change near impact. Ussually only needed on smaller vessels like DDs or small passenger ships.

If you are consistently missing I'd check to make sure you have the correct targets speed.

Last edited by Hellguard3; 05-30-17 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 11:08 PM   #5
modelrrfan51
Watch

Hellguard3
When doing a forward attack, everything seem to work out great. Put in the speed (1 knot for every 100 yds), then AOB which is 90 degrees, and set range to max on range. When ship crosses 0 on periscope fire torpedos and get good hits. Have started paying attention to the dial for torpedo course and this also helps.
Its the aft attack is where have a real problem. This is one that just did, speed was 9 knots, so entered 9 knot of speed dial, then put in AOB at 90 degrees since that how was lined up to ship track. Now on the attack map, did not show torpedo track until I did the measurement with the range, where you bring down ship till touches top of mast. When I put this in, attack showed a torpedo track of almost 90 degrees, and track was now behind ship. So now have to start turning sub until torpedo track catches up with ship and moves in front so can fire aft tubes. By then, sub is almost parallel to ship. Funny part, when look at TDC, show aft torpedo course at almost 80 degrees from sub on the bottom dial, and the top dial shows torpedos hitting rear of target.
Just wish the aft would work like the front.
Also thought I had 1.4, but checked and have 1.5
Old 05-31-17, 07:27 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Just to be sure (please forgive me), but do you have an aft torpedo tube selected when you start entering your data?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 05:14 PM   #7
Hellguard3
Swabbie

I don't mean this in any offensive way, but it sounds like either (like propbeanie said) you don't have your aft torpedo selected when you are inputting the information OR, you don't have your sub's stern facing the enemy. The rear tubes (if you already know this I'm just making sure you do) fire backwards.

In fact I checked and you can input everything the same firing forward or backward BUT (I think this might be what's throwing you off) you need the AOB set to what it would be if your STERN was the front of your boat. Not to what the AOB is to your Bow.

An easy way to make sure you AOB is correct is to find the targets course in the nav map, set your AOB and check in the top left, make sure the targets BOW indicator points to the targets course on the course marker. ALSO make sure you click TWICE when inputting AOB you'll see the arrow move both times.
Old 06-03-17, 07:03 AM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I kinda.....melted down my Linux system......and don't have the game available right now. When I get it back I'll make a video shooting from the stern tubes and you can compare techniques.

I'll do a stadimeter attack and a Dick O'Kane attack.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-17, 07:57 PM   #9
Hellguard3
Swabbie

I messed around with ubuntu but ut always ended up needing to run windows in the background or dual booting windows just to play games i already owned
Old 06-19-17, 02:24 PM   #10
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237

thats an interesting question modelrrfan, i think i know the answer for you and so i will try and explain it to you.

"When using the front tubes, manual targeting work great. Put in speed, AOB, but do not do range, since this seems to
give me so really riducules angle, usually well after the target. But when use the rear tubes, put in speed, AOB, but
do not do range. When look at the TDC,
still show firing the front tubes"

bow torpedoes

this is because the tdc still thinks your shooting the bow tubes, most times you get a message saying, "cannot compute solution
for stern tubes" and thats because the torpedo cannot make the angle from the orientation of the bow tubes in 200 yards as default settings have it,
even if you have a stern tube selected.

you have to orient the tdc to understand that your shooting from the stern, its like zeroing your weapon.

look at the first picture, thats the default look at the periscope and dials when the game starts.

now look at the own ship dial, thats the submarine, the inner numbers is the sub's relative bearing, in this case zero, the 9 on the outer dial means 90 degrees
or the sub's true bearing.

next look above it to the target dial, its inner number is 0, thats the relative course of the target in relation to the submarine, and its outer number is its true course.

so if you were to fire a torpedo now, the torpedo would go straight out from the bow tube with no gyro angle traveling down submarines zero degree bearing until it strikes the target.

the red arrows on the dials show the track of the torpedo. own ship dial shows the torpedo coming from the bow

stern torpedoes

in the second pic, the tdc is oriented to the stern torpedo, u do this by first selecting a stern torpedo, rotate the periscope to 180 degrees, then click
the attack tool's range button, select a range, in this pic i set range a 2000 yds, but any range arming distance or more is good, then send range and bearing to the tdc.
the tdc now knows from what direction your shooting from, you sent 180 degrees , its always 180 degrees to zero the tdc for stern operations.

on the dials, on own ship, the sub still points to zero, its relative bearing and 90 its true course.
the red arrows show the tdc orientation and the torpedoes track going right thru 180 of the sub toward the target, its true course is 90
and relative course to submarine at zero.

stern torpedo track is 180 from the bow.

so now after zeroing the tdc, if you want to add the targets actual bearing, speed and aob, ranging for it, your results should be as good as they are when your shooting from the bow.

the third pic just shows the torpedo leaving the sub flawlessly, and going out at 180 relative to sub with no gyro.

hope its help you modelrrfan, also , its a trade secret so keep it under your hat okay?
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Last edited by greyrider; 06-20-17 at 06:23 AM.
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote