SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-17, 04:51 AM   #16
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Hi, there is no mention of .NET in the system requirements for Far Cry 2.
I'm fairly sure that I don't have Mono or .NET installed by Wine, I don't remember it asking though I did step away when I installed it. Is there a way to check? Certainly there is nothing in the list of installed applications.
I have now installed mono using this command:
sudo apt-get install mono-complete
though at the end of the install I got the following:
Quote:
Setting up mono-complete (4.2.1.102+dfsg2-7ubuntu4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu7) ...
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/lib32/nvidia-375/libEGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

N: Ignoring file '20auto-upgrades.ucf-dist' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
Then I was prompted for a 75mb update, so I done that, hopefully that went in ok.
I will have to do some further testing but I have been called away and won't be able to look at it till atleast Sunday.
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-17, 01:33 AM   #17
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Back again!!
I fixed the "N: Ignoring file '20auto-upgrades.ucf-dist' in directory '/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension" error, there shouldn't have been a file extension, seems others have had the same issue.
Although mono is now installed both links still do nothing.

From step 2 on I do not know what you mean by "prefix", in step 2"
Make a new Wine Prefix and have it install Mono in that prefix when it asks you.
I already have mono installed, does this install it again?

Some of the problem is probably due to the fact it was install by Crossover, I will investigate that side.

Old 05-15-17, 02:43 AM   #18
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I found a pdf manual of the Crossover for Linux and discovered the Main Crossover Manual, from here I can nominate a target exe and add parameters, it worked.
Not the best solution due to the fact that I still don't know how the shortcut runs the exe file but at least it works.
I think I have taken enough of your time on this Barracuda, and very thankful, but I think it would be best to let it rest.
Maybe after some more reading on the subject I might get my head around all this.
I ordered a book on the Commands online but still haven't received it so I might have to chase after that!!
Still don't know if I should install .NET but it seems obvious that Far Cry 2 doesn't need it.
I have many more Windows apps to install, what a pain, hopefully it gets easier.
Again Thanks.

Old 05-15-17, 05:47 AM   #19
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

One of the more fun things I've done in the past year is leaving my dependence on Windows software behind and learning the Linux alternatives. One piece of software I used for years, Quintessential Media Player, was uniquely great at ripping CDs and letting me have absolute control over the .mp3 process with bitrate, variable bitrate, etc.

However, I've found that Asunder in Linux is even better at ripping CDs and Clementine (available also for Windows) is a hugely better media player. So win! Win!

That's happened over and over again in the year since Windows had a mental breakdown and I loaded up Ubuntu to see how Linux had progressed. The answer was that it's better than Windows. And https://appdb.winehq.org/ is your friend!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 06:17 AM   #20
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Yes I am slowly getting to know Linux, I like it, the only thing is some Windows apps I like such as:
Jet Audio
Wavelab (have legal purchased version)
ETS2
Far Cry 3

Radio programs:
HDSDR
Radiocom
Sorcerer
Ham Radio Deluxe
Omni-Rig

Hopefully some of these or equivalents are available for Linux.

Old 05-15-17, 08:25 AM   #21
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

For me, Reece, the hardest part is understanding the audio stack in Linux, which might be why you have issues with getting WaveLab to run correctly. Which version do you have, and what audio device is installed? Some of your other apps might have audio issues also... does Far Cry use 3D audio?

My Ubuntu 16.x didnt' have any issue at all with getting the onboard audio to work, I definitely have issues with recording and mixing multi-channel, and I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get my EMU 1820M to work in it, though there are multiple examples of doing so on several sites... Like modding SH4, I'm "thick" on some aspects of things... - it just won't sink in...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17, 08:08 PM   #22
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

The ones listed are ones I want to install, there many be equivalents I have to search.
Wavelab is an old version (4.0) but works well, especially the waveform restorer.
Far Cry 2 is just stereo, some of the newer games might be 3D audio, atm I only have the laptop speakers, I intend to get some good external speakers later.
Quote:
it just won't sink in...
The keyword being sink!!!
I wish you luck on that, so far the sound works well, even on Far Cry.
Another reason I gave up on Win 10 is that I tried to run XP in a virtual desktop, it worked ok except the sound, I couldn't get that going!!
I got Far Cry 2 to work on Win 10 but had a lot of problems and lockups, so far it is working well in Linux.

Old 05-15-17, 09:30 PM   #23
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Another reason I gave up on Win 10 is that I tried to run XP in a virtual desktop, it worked ok except the sound, I couldn't get that going!!
I got Far Cry 2 to work on Win 10 but had a lot of problems and lockups, so far it is working well in Linux.
Isn't that something? A Windows XP emulation, in another Windows OS, and they couldn't get the sound to work correctly?... let's see.... WDM... WDI... The letter "W" stands for "Windows", the "D" is for "Driver", the "M" is "Model" and the "I" is "Interface"... besides trashing the "legacy" firewire again, what else did they trash with 10? Oh wait, my EMU audio card worked fine in the Pre-Release Candidate, but was bombed on the public release. Why?... DRM? who knows. It'll work in there now, but I no longer use Win10, and I'm about phased out of Win7 too here in a few weeks... I do still have XP so that I can use my 16 channel, multi-track audio card, until I can get it going in Ubuntu.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 07:55 PM   #24
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Sorry, things got busy over the weekend, and I didn't get a chance to get back to you sooner...

Quote:

From step 2 on I do not know what you mean by "prefix", in step 2"
Make a new Wine Prefix and have it install Mono in that prefix when it asks you.
I already have mono installed, does this install it again?

Some of the problem is probably due to the fact it was install by Crossover, I will investigate that side.

Just to answer your question...

I put this in the thread I started on WINE, since so many are making the jump to Linux:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229238

But I'll quote the relevant part here:

Quote:
The Basics:

Once WINE is installed it makes a hidden directory in your "home" folder.
This "WINE" directory is known as a "Prefix", a Wine prefix is a directory that "mimics" (or "fakes") a Windows drive, with a registry, a "Windows", "Program Files" and other needed directories and files (all redirecting to linux files).
You can have multiple "Prefixes", each tailored to a specific game if you need them...

There is a "start" menu (aka "Application Launcher") shortcut for the configuration program "winecfg". There you can set which version(s) of windows you would like wine to mimic while running your programs. (I have mine set to Win7 as the default.)
As well as set specific windows versions for specific programs.

Some games, such as old 16bit games that originally ran on WIn95/98 will need a 32bit prefix. You can make a new "prefix" and name it whatever you like, the usual suggestion is "wine32"...

This "wine32" directory is completely separate from the default wine directory.
It has its own registry, windows, and program files directories.
Installing a program, such as "Silent 3ditor" into one prefix, will not make it available in another prefix. Just as installing a game on one Windows PC, doesn't make it available on another Windows PC.
This prefix also has its own configuration settings.

However, to do this, you must use the command line, and you must use the command line to access the winecfg for that prefix as well.
Just to give you an idea, I have 6 different "prefixes" (.wine, .wine32) at the moment!

I have various mod tools for different games, (I've got mods going in 9 different games at the moment, all in various stages. And some pending WINE/video driver updates to continue.) and those various mod tools and games require various versions of dotnet and directx. The different "prefixes" let you isolate the games environment so that you can reduce the possible chances for errors. Almost like having a separate PC for each game you want to run!

But the Linux program "WINE", is still just a single program. Installed at (I think) "/usr/bin/wine".
The various "prefixes" are just the "environment" that you are telling it to create, similar to a configuration script. Just "a bit more complex".

Quote:
The ones listed are ones I want to install, there many be equivalents I have to search.
Wavelab is an old version (4.0) but works well, especially the waveform restorer.
Far Cry 2 is just stereo, some of the newer games might be 3D audio, atm I only have the laptop speakers, I intend to get some good external speakers later.

Good to know that you got it working.
Sometimes it just takes a bit of tweaking.
But the upside is that you learn more about the system quite a bit faster than you would otherwise!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote