SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-17, 01:17 PM   #1
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Crew Qualification impact and Promotions

On Qualifications

Hi, I'm following the LSH3 tutorial. I'm about to leave port for my second patrol (the first one after the test patrol).

(1) The green bar above the ship sections (F7 crew management), is getting bigger faster with qualified crew. But does, say for the engine room, having a full bar more impact on anything? Or is just above 50% the same effect? Does it have effect on the torpedo room(s)? What kind of effects?

(2) Also, how many helmsmen do I need and how many repair and medics do I need? It's becoming clear I need a good amount of machinists and torpedo qualified guys, so I need to minimize the others.

On Promotions

(3) In SH3Commander, I can promote my staff at will. That doesn't make sense to me. What should hold me back from promoting my staff? I'm missing something here. When is the right time and why?
Old 03-18-17, 01:30 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Welcome Aboard!

1. I've been playing this game for twelve years and I still don't know the answer to that one. I would think that the higher the better, but I can't prove it. I try to have it as high as I can, just in case.

2. Just the three, if you have Fatigue turned off. Otherwise I try to have enough for a full rotation, i.e. six.

3. Nothing keeps you from doing whatever you want in your game. While I qualify all Petty Officers before anything else, because the qual is what makes a PO a PO. Promotions I try to leave for when the game recommends one. I do know promotions in real life don't happen all the time, and I try to play in a fashion that feels realistic to me.

The bottom line is that it's your game to play the way you want.
Old 03-18-17, 01:36 PM   #3
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Welcome Aboard!

1. I've been playing this game for twelve years and I still don't know the answer to that one. I would think that the higher the better, but I can't prove it. I try to have it as high as I can, just in case.

2. Just the three, if you have Fatigue turned off. Otherwise I try to have enough for a full rotation, i.e. six.

3. Nothing keeps you from doing whatever you want in your game. While I qualify all Petty Officers before anything else, because the qual is what makes a PO a PO. Promotions I try to leave for when the game recommends one. I do know promotions in real life don't happen all the time, and I try to play in a fashion that feels realistic to me.

The bottom line is that it's your game to play the way you want.
Oh thanks, that makes it quite clear. When it comes to promotions, for now I'll stick with the XP points. If one has 23/20, then I promote him so it becomes a 23/50.
Old 03-18-17, 02:16 PM   #4
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi m
Quote:
(2) Also, how many helmsmen do I need
Quote:
and how many repair and medics do I need?
Your choice.
Quote:
having a full bar more impact on anything?
Yes it should, and you can tell quite easily by removing an officer and see how losing that experience impacts on the department.
Quote:
(3) In SH3Commander, I can promote my staff at will. That doesn't make sense to me.
Actually it does make sense.
Every crew member had a skill of some sort.
Giving sailors skill levels in SH3Commander does not count in the game, however it is handy to recognize which department they belong to.
I transfer any crew member off the boat once they exceed their promotional skill level.
I imagine the over skilled officer I am transferring could well be going to captain his own boat.
I never pay renown for crew always free and train them up.
Promotions cannot be manipulated, they have to be taken at the end of the patrol or they are lost.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 03:50 PM   #5
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So what does affect the green bar? Not it's renown I've noticed. A combo of fatigue, rank and resilience?
Old 03-18-17, 04:05 PM   #6
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

A combo of fatigue, rank and resilience.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 05:40 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Perfect example, leave your engine crew in place until their endurance gets too low... you get the status "not enough crew in engine compartment!"

And your engine stops!

::drops the mic, and leaves the room::

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 08:48 PM   #8
Machariel
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Perfect example, leave your engine crew in place until their endurance gets too low... you get the status "not enough crew in engine compartment!"

And your engine stops!

::drops the mic, and leaves the room::
Come back to the room you!
Yes, that I noticed. However, I do not notice the difference for the engine crew if the bar is at 50% or higher. Ships doesn't go any faster or anything. So what does the extra do?

(Just finished my 2nd patrol. Man I've been clicking my *** off because of crew management lol.)

Last edited by Machariel; 03-19-17 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-19-17, 07:52 AM   #9
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

This is kind of like managing your own doll house.

With SH3 Commander, on the VII boats....this is what I like...

Officers.

1st Watch Officer - Helm and Watchman skills.
2nd Watch Officer- same.
L.I. - Repair, Mech, Helm --usually get this guy to the most senior rank in the times I like to play (39-42) to represent this guy is probably pre-war career navy and was even there when this boat was launched.
Nav (should be an enlisted guy).... Helm and Watchman

Enlisted:

--stabsoberbootsman - Repair. This is the top enlisted guy on my boat which also handles all the enlisted matters the game doesn't take into account. So I think of him like the Chief Bosun or "Number 1". Probably old Navy and is in more of a bureaucrat billet to make sure the other bootsman and sailors do what they are told. Generously give him a Repair skill. Somtimes Gunnery skill to represent he knows his way around a ships/subs deck and not just gunnery.

--stabsoberbootsman - Watchman- Unfortunately the game doesn't take into account the Navigator is a top enlisted guy. SH3 commander gives this person two qualifications but I take the helm one away. All my bootsman in SH3 commander only get one skill.

---stabsoberbootsman - Mech - Top diesel guy that reports to the L.I.
---stabsoberbootsman - Mech - Runs the other shift for the diesels.

--stabbootsman -- Mech The game doesn't work like real life but I think of this guy like the E-machine boss, Even though for game purposes he does diesel too
--bootsman - Mech ,

So for the motors, usually 2 bootsman and 3 sailors with mech ratings while the same number is at rest.

--Torpedo room-- stabbootsman and one bootsman; 5 torpedo sailors... The torpedo sailors are the ones that do a lot of the grunt work of upkeep of the torpedoes that they are able to do under supervision from the torpedo bootsmen.

--Helm ( 2x bootsman) No control room assistants in the game. 1 guy sleeps while the other guy is standing to the right of the planesmen seats. Note also, No bench in this game for the telegraph for the engine room and course change....Game doesn't address that whomever is up on watch when surfaced sits down as a planesman when the order is given to submerge.
--Funk shop: 2 bootsman, 1 with the Radio rating, 1 with Med ( 1 think of this as one radio and one sound, the radio bootsman has a Med rating ) one sailor with this rating like an assistant. Much of the time when running on the surface, I have only the radio room occupied.

---1 bootsman with no skill. He probably has one, but everyone thinks he is useless because he does just enough to get by and stay out of trouble, but really doesn't to much. I kind of like to think of this guy as the assistant to the chief bosun. Probably make a great "Number 1" in late war boats that really is a pain in the neck. Sometimes give him a gunnery skill or flak skill. Since I NEVER engage aircraft with flak, this points out what I think of this guy's usefulness if I give him a rating.

Sailors, I keep a few unrated just to represent that they may have been rated in something but just aren't stellar.

Other sailors are usually with a helm or watchman rating because that is basic school stuff anyway.

Like the unrated sailors they also help heft torpedoes when the torpedo room bootsman needs them.

Finally on sailors, I have some that are really outstanding 3-stripe types to represent those that really know what they are doing and will become a bootsman someday....

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 03-19-17 at 08:03 AM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 09:09 PM   #10
Kip Chiakopf
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 259

I thought that sailor couldn't get ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
This is kind of like managing your own doll house.

With SH3 Commander, on the VII boats....this is what I like...

Officers.

1st Watch Officer - Helm and Watchman skills.
2nd Watch Officer- same.
L.I. - Repair, Mech, Helm --usually get this guy to the most senior rank in the times I like to play (39-42) to represent this guy is probably pre-war career navy and was even there when this boat was launched.
Nav (should be an enlisted guy).... Helm and Watchman

Enlisted:

--stabsoberbootsman - Repair. This is the top enlisted guy on my boat which also handles all the enlisted matters the game doesn't take into account. So I think of him like the Chief Bosun or "Number 1". Probably old Navy and is in more of a bureaucrat billet to make sure the other bootsman and sailors do what they are told. Generously give him a Repair skill. Somtimes Gunnery skill to represent he knows his way around a ships/subs deck and not just gunnery.

--stabsoberbootsman - Watchman- Unfortunately the game doesn't take into account the Navigator is a top enlisted guy. SH3 commander gives this person two qualifications but I take the helm one away. All my bootsman in SH3 commander only get one skill.

---stabsoberbootsman - Mech - Top diesel guy that reports to the L.I.
---stabsoberbootsman - Mech - Runs the other shift for the diesels.

--stabbootsman -- Mech The game doesn't work like real life but I think of this guy like the E-machine boss, Even though for game purposes he does diesel too
--bootsman - Mech ,

So for the motors, usually 2 bootsman and 3 sailors with mech ratings while the same number is at rest.

--Torpedo room-- stabbootsman and one bootsman; 5 torpedo sailors... The torpedo sailors are the ones that do a lot of the grunt work of upkeep of the torpedoes that they are able to do under supervision from the torpedo bootsmen.

--Helm ( 2x bootsman) No control room assistants in the game. 1 guy sleeps while the other guy is standing to the right of the planesmen seats. Note also, No bench in this game for the telegraph for the engine room and course change....Game doesn't address that whomever is up on watch when surfaced sits down as a planesman when the order is given to submerge.
--Funk shop: 2 bootsman, 1 with the Radio rating, 1 with Med ( 1 think of this as one radio and one sound, the radio bootsman has a Med rating ) one sailor with this rating like an assistant. Much of the time when running on the surface, I have only the radio room occupied.

---1 bootsman with no skill. He probably has one, but everyone thinks he is useless because he does just enough to get by and stay out of trouble, but really doesn't to much. I kind of like to think of this guy as the assistant to the chief bosun. Probably make a great "Number 1" in late war boats that really is a pain in the neck. Sometimes give him a gunnery skill or flak skill. Since I NEVER engage aircraft with flak, this points out what I think of this guy's usefulness if I give him a rating.

Sailors, I keep a few unrated just to represent that they may have been rated in something but just aren't stellar.

Other sailors are usually with a helm or watchman rating because that is basic school stuff anyway.

Like the unrated sailors they also help heft torpedoes when the torpedo room bootsman needs them.

Finally on sailors, I have some that are really outstanding 3-stripe types to represent those that really know what they are doing and will become a bootsman someday....
Kip Chiakopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 11:44 AM   #11
fanch
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

My crew configuration:

Chief engineer: machine, repair, (3rd speciality undefined yet)
Weapon officer: helmsman, (torpedo), (3rd speciality undefined yet)
Nav officer: helmsman, (watch)
Watch officer: watch, deck gun, (flakgun)

the fifth officer is machine/torpedo/(undefined yet), with GCIG and KC. He's a great boost when fighting, as he's immune to fatigue (GCIG), and can boost the whole compartiment (KC).

Petty officers:

machine: 4
torpedo: 4
deckgun: 1
flakgun: 1
radio: 1 (a second one is scheduled)
repair: 1 scheduled
watch: 2 sheduled, maybe 1 and 1 medic.

I organised my crew by 2 teams, A and B:

machine: 2 PO, 2 seamen
torpedo 1 PO, 3 seamen by torpedo room
watch: 1 PO, 3 seamen, 1 officer
Radio: 1 PO, 1 seaman
Control room: 3 officer, 3 seamen

As i "grow up" in experience, i have medals to give, and all my officer are at least IC 1st class. I planed to give them GCIG in priority, then to petty officers. the only exception is one of my PO that have GCIG, in machine room: an second one is sheduled to have the same, in order to have just one machine team (except for seamen).
fanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-17, 11:51 AM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard firsttime poster!

fanch!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote