SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-17, 01:37 AM   #1
TorpexXIII
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 197
Uploads: 0
Default Op Monsun Ship Identification

Hi all,

First off my apologies for asking a newbie Q...

Im back to the forums and SH4 after a long break. Im loving Op Monsun but have a probably very simple Q.

How in Gods Holy name do you easily ID targets manually on Op Monsun!? There are a million different ships and the auto ID is missing on full realism. I spend hours trying to ID targets only to get it wrong and am always missing my targets as a result.

Please help....
TorpexXIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 10:55 AM   #2
Hellguard3
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

IDing targets can be difficult. I will assume you've played a fair bit and know how to do it in general.

I use this method and it seems to work. Bear with me here.

Identify ship type.
Combat
Merchant

Identify number of stacks.

Those are the easy parts.

If its a combat vessel.

Turret location and profile is EVERYTHING. Count the main turrets if you can see them. If not.

MASTS MASTS MASTS

These are the next stand out features, you should be able to determine they mast contruction, angle direction(if any) and qty easy.

The only boats ive always gotten confused are the takao and maya cruisers. But they are easy onves you pay close attention to their stacks. Which arnt always easy to see.

Destroyers are also a pain but i dont ussually go after them so its not high on my priority list

If its a merchant.

These are hard because so many are so similar. BUT if you are against a convoy and have a hard time with one you can always pick a different target thst you can ID and dick O'kane the one you really want, since all you need is their course and speed. And ussually convoys move at the same pace.

If you dead set on the ID my first goto is stacks, focusing on their location, then masts then hull features.

Knowing the difference between splits, composites, Tankers and passenger vessels is the best place to start.
Hellguard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 11:05 AM   #3
TorpexXIII
Electrician's Mate

Default Thanks

Thanks Hellguard3. Yeah this is painful and is making me miss a fair bit. I like doing manual targeting but its almost too hard due to the ID issues. You either have to go auto shooting, (a bit boring) or wait until you're so close to ID them your having dinner with the enemy captain in his quarters.

Dare I say it there's almost too many ships to choose from.

Its a shame there isnt a MOD out there just to get the auto ID back. Then it would still be a bit of a job flicking through millions of them but at least easier than trying to decide which ship it is AND flicking through millions of them.

Hmmm...
Old 06-16-17, 12:04 PM   #4
Hellguard3
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

There may be a way. The auto id function is built into the game so all a mod can do it turn it "off" all you need to do is have someone in the mod community tell you were to find it and turn it "on".
Hellguard3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-17, 12:27 PM   #5
TorpexXIII
Electrician's Mate

Is there a mod request forum..?