SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-15, 08:09 PM   #1
SJFriesen
Bosun

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 On Steam

Hey everyone,

I just purchased SH4 on steam and was trying to install some of the mods for the game. I have TMO, RSRDC, Traveller, and want to get OTC tomorrow when I can download it.

My question is this, when I start SH4 its showing as v1.5 but everything for TMO and RSRDC is for 2.5 is the game not updating on steam correctly? Does steam not use the 2.5 mods? The game runs but but the TMO mod isn't activating at all.
SJFriesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 08:18 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I think you're mistaking SH4 v1.5 for TMO v2.5. There is no SH4 2.5 - 1.5 is the final version of the game. The version that shows on the screen should be 1.5.

As for the installation, if you used JSGME can you post a picture of the JSGME screen. If you installed TMO directly can you describe what the folder you installed looks like?

Did you unzip the TMO file before installing? A compressed and zipped file cannot be read by the game.

These are just some initial questions. It's impossible to give qualified answers without more information.
Old 08-22-15, 08:35 PM   #3
SJFriesen
Bosun

Default Thanks

I'm in the middle of reinstalling SH4 after deleting local content to try a clean install cause i read you should run both SH4 and SH4 U-boats as vanilla before setting up the mods. I will show you the JSGME file once I have everything redone.

I use to have the game on cd and have done mods that way so I know how to use JSMGE but its not working through steam for me hopefully the running both versions of the game fixes it.
Old 08-22-15, 09:19 PM   #4
SJFriesen
Bosun

Default Just so everyone knows

The loading up both versions of the vanilla game and then doing the mods actually worked. I have no idea why though.
Old 10-24-16, 09:42 AM   #5
vamac53
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Default steam sh4 wont launch

hi all. i wish i could get sh4 to launch with steam. i have played for years on my old pc and gane cd software, but stem says ptrpaing to launch, then fails to launch. any help? same with fsx steam. i was able finally to launch aerofly fs1
thankx. mike
vamac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 09:43 AM   #6
vamac53
Sailor man

Downloads: 4

steam has been no help at all
vamac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-16, 01:12 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

vamac53, The Berbster linked to a Rockin Robbins response for the subject here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21&postcount=3

In other words, manage your computer's Steam games installs from Steam online, and put the game somewhere other than the "Program Files (x86)" folder. You'll probably have to un-install what you have, then re-do it. There is a thread with more detail involving the process, but I can't find it. Rockin Robbins or The Berbster could probably point you right at it, though...

Once you have the game installed, and (preferably) UBM add-on finished, then you really should do a "Pristine Save", such as is described here by Rockin Robbins:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=57

You can ignore the references to Fall of the Rising Sun (FotRS) if you want to, and just concentrate on getting the game installed, updated, and then backed-up in a "pristine" condition for future use.

As a side-note, Steam does have some help (rather ambiguous) on their Support pages, and some threads in their forum. Here's their "Support" thingie:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6218-USFX-5568

... however, a few other things to be aware of are: 1) Be sure you let the DX9 files install, even though your computer might be at DX11 or higher. Sh4 needs some of those DX9 files. 2) The game launcher should point to the SH4.EXE file, not GU.exe (or others). I'm not sure how Steam handles that. 3) The online gameplay stuff is "dead", and should not be installed. Again, I'm not sure how Steam handles that either. Others can let you know about that. I'm assuming your 2nd previous post meant to say "Preparing to launch..." and gets stuck at that prompt... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote