SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-16, 03:07 PM   #76
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
@LGM1

Sorry mate. I wrote the PM from my smartphone, and I probably pushed the wrong button

I sent you another PM. I hope you received it this time
Read and replied
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 01:58 PM   #77
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

I have uploaded a new version. Here are some pictures:

Old 04-25-16, 02:15 PM   #78
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 0

Nice,realy nice!We will now have more early to scroll horizontally rudders
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 03:01 PM   #79
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Hhhhh !!! The fatal weapon is ready ?

I think the charges are not launched very far compared to the original squid ... but maybe this is not possible to change ... ?
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-16, 09:22 AM   #80
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
Icon14

@ LGN1

Awesome screenies mate!
I have just a remark: seeing how the middle mortar of each squid launcher on either ship side is pointing to the mid-line, whereas the other two mortars are pointing straight ahead, if possible, I think the launch pattern should be reversed compared to the one seen in the last screen shot.

P.S: I have read your reply to my PM. I suggest you yo send my files together with your last working version of the launcher, for any possible improvement or suggestion on it. I, like you and Jeff, dont care for copyright as long as we can cooperate for bringing new amazing features in our favorite games

@ Aktungbby

I am sorry to say that digital technology has already conquered the African market. In Zanzibar, where I currently work, there is plenty of smartphones and any other kind of electronic thingies. My chinese smartphone is probably one of the least expensive pieces of technological junk to be found on the island
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-16, 01:47 PM   #81
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Yours must b the only smart phone in 'Grate' Zimbabwe!
[QUOTE=gap;2400335@ Aktungbby

I am sorry to say that digital technology has already conquered the African market. In Zanzibar, where I currently work, there is plenty of smartphones and any other kind of electronic thingies. My chinese smartphone is probably one of the least expensive pieces of technological junk to be found on the island [/QUOTE] Well at least I got the 'Z' part right! and I play SHII & V in my raffia-fiber Mungangi mancave outfit ... good padding in a depth-charge attack or another Napa Quake (still got holes in the sheetrock from the last one!) while nursing a glass of Ogogoro when I'm out of chardonnay!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-16, 11:18 PM   #82
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Don't be Put off by Mild Screen Shots!!! I Tested the U-505 Single Mission. After the very first Salvos Damage I sank to 300 meters before getting the Flooding under Control. ( Rose to a Depth of 20 meters to use few quick Hydrophone Solution TV Torpedo Shots ) Sunk by Squid!!!
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 05:19 AM   #83
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Excellent work

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-16, 05:43 AM   #84
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

More options for enemy to killing me, very good.
Old 05-08-16, 02:25 PM   #85
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

thanks all for your feed-back. I hope you will also like it in your next campaign in '45

@Fahnenbohn: You are correct. The range is shorter than the historical max. range. It could be changed a bit, but then one would need to adjust the sink rate...

I don't know whether the squid was always fired at max. range If you think of the ships with the squid launcher installed at the stern, it should be possible to have the DC pattern closer to the ship

@gap: Unfortunately, the pattern is defined with respect to the 'world's coordinates' and not the ship's movement, i.e., if the ship heads north the pattern is correct. If it heads south it's reversed,... I didn't find a way to have it aligned to the ship's motion

Best, LGN1

PS: Any more experiences with the DC's damage? Is it too deadly?
Old 05-09-16, 12:48 PM   #86
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
PS: Any more experiences with the DC's damage? Is it too deadly?
I will test it as soon as possible ! I let you know. I have a good tool to test this kind of weapon, but it's secret ...
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-16, 04:48 PM   #87
gap
Navy Seal

Default Just a thought...

Today I was re-thinking about this mod and the way to bypass the limitations of the hedgehog controller that we need to use if we want the AI to fire the new weapon correctly.

What if add three dummy nodes to the launcher model (one for each of the three muzzles, each aligned with the main axis of its respective barrel) and we attach an individual wpn_Hedgehog controller to each of them? We could then equip the controllers with dummy and invisible hedgehog projectiles, and set the weapon to use a modified fire_effect particle generator which will spawn a motion-aligned squid projectile (as done for the AI torpedos). Given the different alignment of the three nodes, and by setting appropriately the starting velocity of each charge (this would require the use of three slightly different particle effects, one for each barrel/projectile), I think we could obtain a triangular lauch pattern ca. 250 m in front of the ship, similar to the one created by the real squids. By further fine-tuning DC's speed and the max_range and diameter properties of each contoller (but also the the fall_speed, detonate_depth and depth_precison of the dummy hedgehog and of the sqid projectiles are playing a role), we should get the weapon to score some hits.

Ideally the three controllers composing a "single squid unit" should fire at the same moment, and the squids should hit the water more or less in the same point and at the same time than their dummy counterparts. For this reason it could be handy setting the dummy hedgehogs as visible before release.

What do you think? Might it work?
Old 09-25-16, 02:38 PM   #88
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi gap,

it's great that you are still thinking about the mod!

I think your idea could work, however, you would still get 24 DCs per barrel.

The hedgehog controller always fires 24 times (i.e., 24 muzzle flashes, 24 sounds,...). At least I could never find a way to reduce this number and therefore, I could never have less than 24 objects spawned. I tried with random spawn rates,... but never succeeded

Best, LGN1
Old 09-25-16, 04:33 PM   #89
gap
Navy Seal

Hi LGN1,
that's unfortunate

Despite the hedgehog thrower laucnhing 24 charges, I was hoping that each lauch triggered only one flash. If 24 flashes are played every time, indeed there is no way that my idea can work, as we would end with 3 x 24 charges.

The wpn_cannon controller let us to set how many muzzles/shells are fired by a given gun, and event their 3D position relative to the model, but this over-simplified hedgehog controller gives us little chances of mimicking the squid laucher behaviour.

Being the stubborn guy that I am, I have one more question though. When you experimented with the squid laucher set as a K-gun, did the AI shoot at submerged targets which were on front of the depth-charging vessel (but just too short/too long), or it kept firing on targets which were on her side? If the first option was true, there would still be hopes that we can set the squid mortar to fire three visible shells with some degree of succes, by using the K-gun controller with particle-generated charges or a combinetion of the K-gun and of the hedgehog controllers.
Old 09-25-16, 05:30 PM   #90
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Do an experiment.

Set a node way out front of the ship and assign the DC rack to it.

If you look at how a node is set for a DC rack? It's way forward of the actual rack in Game.
Is this a built in delay we can take advantage of?