SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-19, 08:14 AM   #8176
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'll do some experiments with that later today torpedobait, and "see" what I see. I do have some questions though, for some clarification... First of all, how much or how little of time compression did you use to get to your location? Did you do any game Saves enroute, prior to and after contact, etc.?

and now, for a Cary Grant imitation, courtesy of Goober, of an imminent dive bomber attack

Hilariously appropriate "Judy, Judy, Judy, Judy"!

Let's see, i do use TC up to 4096 when enroute, but usually keep it to 2048. And I do take interim saves at certain locations (Lombok Strait, Sulu Sea entry from Celebes Sea (can't remember the name of that channel), and when I reach the patrol area. In this case the objective was to reach A2 (108 Nm from Star, actually) and from there after waiting a few days with no contacts, moved on to the mouth of Bungo Suido. I did not reload a save until after being rudely attacked and heavily damaged by Judy in the dead of night while at 1x TC and 100'. I had taken out 3 large tankers over a couple of days, and may have been spotted by a fishing boat, I suppose. But that doesn't justify a blind assault at that depth after diving and moving away from the contact, does it?

There were multiple attacks like that (3 or 4). I finally just gave up and limped home with 35% damage to my hull and miscellaneous other damages, mainly to the AA guns.

It's not a deal breaker by any means. It does seem more like TMO in that respect than FOTRSU. The thing is, I've only noticed it with the Dive Bombers.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 10:33 AM   #8177
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, the Judy's behavior has always been "suspect" in FotRSU, very strange. It was one of the better planes of WW2, but only after multiple "upgrades". It almost looks like the one we have in FotRSU is an early model, and has a student pilot at the helm... Even when set to "Expert", it will crash during attacks. Not always, unless it's at night... Anyway, I created four quick & dirty test missions. One with the planes flying at 500 foot during daylight, another at night. One with the planes flying at 200 foot during daylight, another at night. Without fail, they would flyover my location and never see me at 120, 90 or PD of 62 foot. Never even bobbled on their way over. They were paralleling my path, just off center of me. I might do a few more with the plane coming at an angle, sun behind them, because I can see my boat from above rather easily, especially at PD... Anyway. no attacks. I was doing a 2nd run of the 200 foot at night mission, and the first plane went over me, no sign of noticing me, so I decided to put up the periscope for the 2nd... had barely gotten it up when "BOOM!!!" "We're taking damage sir!" "Bow tubes damaged sir!" "Medic!!!" - then there was a series of explosions... The aftermath:

First explosion results:

Damage taken, one torpedoman injured...

2nd (series) explosion:

Yes, those two little fire dots are the attacking Judy to the left, crashed on the water surface, and its fuel on fire behind it...

No "survivor" seen... Now, here's the thing... the first plane that missed me on the first overflight, did not miss seeing me the 2nd time... As I mentioned, I'll do some more testing on this, because it was uncanny how accurate these two were during the night hours. When the first plane attacked on its 2nd pass, he put the bomb right on me, apparently on the conning tower, because that was the end of the scenario. I was dead. Scopes were NOT up at the time... No radar on that first plane either, supposedly... Conclusion: once they've "seen" you, you're dead meat if you hang to that depth and route. An immediate course change and going deep is necessary - with the Judy anyway... more later

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 03:21 PM   #8178
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Well, the Judy's behavior has always been "suspect" in FotRSU, very strange. It was one of the better planes of WW2, but only after multiple "upgrades". It almost looks like the one we have in FotRSU is an early model, and has a student pilot at the helm... Even when set to "Expert", it will crash during attacks. Not always, unless it's at night... Anyway, I created four quick & dirty test missions. One with the planes flying at 500 foot during daylight, another at night. One with the planes flying at 200 foot during daylight, another at night. Without fail, they would flyover my location and never see me at 120, 90 or PD of 62 foot. Never even bobbled on their way over. They were paralleling my path, just off center of me. I might do a few more with the plane coming at an angle, sun behind them, because I can see my boat from above rather easily, especially at PD... Anyway. no attacks. I was doing a 2nd run of the 200 foot at night mission, and the first plane went over me, no sign of noticing me, so I decided to put up the periscope for the 2nd... had barely gotten it up when "BOOM!!!" "We're taking damage sir!" "Bow tubes damaged sir!" "Medic!!!" - then there was a series of explosions... The aftermath:

First explosion results:

2nd (series) explosion:

Yes, those two little fire dots are the attacking Judy to the left, crashed on the water surface, and its fuel on fire behind it...

No "survivor" seen... Now, here's the thing... the first plane that missed me on the first overflight, did not miss seeing me the 2nd time... As I mentioned, I'll do some more testing on this, because it was uncanny how accurate these two were during the night hours. When the first plane attacked on its 2nd pass, he put the bomb right on me, apparently on the conning tower, because that was the end of the scenario. I was dead. Scopes were NOT up at the time... No radar on that first plane either, supposedly... Conclusion: once they've "seen" you, you're dead meat if you hang to that depth and route. An immediate course change and going deep is necessary - with the Judy anyway... more later
my apologies for jumping in here...
it is a standard USN axiom that when detected by any opposing force your best avenue for escape is to change your location by as many axis and variables as possible.

as a sub driver you want to change depth and direction as well as speed. just the fact of changing makes all the difference in the world.
think three dimensionally.
wherever you are when detected, change the direction, depth and speed before they come around again.
or as my father used to say, just be somewhere else when they come back.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-19, 06:03 PM   #8179
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:

First explosion results:

2nd (series) explosion:

I am up to 1944 and I do not recall ever seeing a Judy. I couldn't tell you how many times I have patrolled at Bungo Suido without as much as a twitch from a plane. Now I have to go find one.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 08:52 AM   #8180
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
it is a standard USN axiom that when detected by any opposing force your best avenue for escape is to change your location by as many axis and variables as possible.

as a sub driver you want to change depth and direction as well as speed. just the fact of changing makes all the difference in the world.
wherever you are when detected, change the direction, depth and speed before they come around again.

That's all well and good, but the issue I encountered occurred without the reasonable possibility of having been detected (as far as I can tell). I agree that daylight sightings (radar or visual) require effective evasive action (dive, course change, speed change, etc.), but if you are already at a depth of 100' after detecting a plane on radar at a distance that ensures safe diving and speed changes, how in the world does that plane find you at night and place a bomb on your hull? That is just too much accuracy even for an expert AI pilot, IMHO.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 09:26 AM   #8181
propbeanie

That is what I was getting at. At night, no scope up, I was at PD, just for the experiment, and the 2nd plane put a bomb right on me, like he could see the night as day. Seeing underwater during daylight hours, I can "see" that, but at night? The only possible answer would be phosphorescent water, made visible by my prop, but I was at Ahead 1/3. Very little water disturbance. We are looking into it. How certain are you it was Judy bombers that got you? I'm doing a re-make of my old plane lineup test mission, and they can all spot me deep during the day, but it varies depending upon the plane and the angle of attack, but they almost always see me at PD, and sometimes down to 120 foot. Once I'm used to which plane shows when, I'll turn it into a night time mission, and see what happens. CapnScurvy has mentioned before that the game at times seems to have the daylight / night messed-up, and if you are in career mode, been out on patrol for a month or so, and have varying levels of TC used, the day / night cycle might be off, but in a Single Mission, that cannot happen within a 24 hour period, much less a couple of hours of gameplay... What I'm looking at is the air strike cfg, but you don't want to apply a blanket "fix", if it's only one plane that has issues...

Old 05-22-19, 09:38 AM   #8182
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Have you checked the sensor files of D4Y3? Last time I checked it was full of Allied radars since 1941. I removed them all in my install.

The plane itself is also available since the very start of the war, when it shouldn't be in widespread use until around 1943 (or 1944 for the D4Y3 version).
Old 05-22-19, 10:20 AM   #8183
propbeanie

We opened the dates for all of the assets in the game, since "bad calls" in RGG of ships, planes, etc. not available time-wise were showing up anyway (why does the game adhere to some dates, and ignores others??) and not functioning correctly. We now attempt to limit plane availability by Air Groups and try to avoid GENERIC calls in RGG. Anyway... The Judy did have radar from the get-go, but rudimentary, and from what I've read, usually in the "experimental" early planes that were converted into carrier-based reconnaissance planes, so we might delve into that also...

I have experimentally tweaked a few settings in a couple AI files, and I now at least have consistency between day and night observation... They don't see me at Ahead Standard, PD, with my scope up, during night ~or~ day hours now... - that's not correct either... more tweaking is called for, of course...

Old 05-22-19, 01:54 PM   #8184
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
That is what I was getting at. At night, no scope up, I was at PD, just for the experiment, and the 2nd plane put a bomb right on me, like he could see the night as day.
Your subs bioluminescence trail gave up your location.
Old 05-22-19, 04:23 PM   #8185
propbeanie

~That~ AVGWarhawk sir, is the correct term! Thank you for that... if there was only a way to keep that in the grey matter for more than 32 seconds... I'm like an IJN DD in the game, and my attention span isn't very consistent...

As a little side note for torpedobait, as part of my testing, I ran the same scenario with an IJN sub and the US Dauntless, and the same thing happens... One little tweak, and they don't see the sub. Leave it alone, and they're like a pack of bird dogs on the scent, and they don't give up, even when out of bombs... It could be 0200 hours, or 1400 hours, they will take the sub out... Two planes, two bombs, two hits almost every time... - The other strange thing is, I was trying to experiment with my submerged copy of s7rikeback / CapnScurvy's copy of an AI JyunsenB from keltos01, and the dad-blame thing shoots torpedoes when the planes come overhead... almost took my sub at PD out! Surely, he wasn't purposefully shooting at moi!... - If I wouldn't have crash-dived, he would have had me!

Old 05-22-19, 07:41 PM   #8186
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

Caution to wind ... let them reap the death that awaits. LOL

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 05-22-19, 07:44 PM   #8187
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
That is what I was getting at. At night, no scope up, I was at PD, just for the experiment, and the 2nd plane put a bomb right on me, like he could see the night as day. Seeing underwater during daylight hours, I can "see" that, but at night? The only possible answer would be phosphorescent water, made visible by my prop, but I was at Ahead 1/3. Very little water disturbance. We are looking into it. How certain are you it was Judy bombers that got you? I'm doing a re-make of my old plane lineup test mission, and they can all spot me deep during the day, but it varies depending upon the plane and the angle of attack, but they almost always see me at PD, and sometimes down to 120 foot. Once I'm used to which plane shows when, I'll turn it into a night time mission, and see what happens. CapnScurvy has mentioned before that the game at times seems to have the daylight / night messed-up, and if you are in career mode, been out on patrol for a month or so, and have varying levels of TC used, the day / night cycle might be off, but in a Single Mission, that cannot happen within a 24 hour period, much less a couple of hours of gameplay... What I'm looking at is the air strike cfg, but you don't want to apply a blanket "fix", if it's only one plane that has issues...
I remember once we were in a bay which shall be nameless and the phosphorescent water glowed almost as bright as a half moon. Fish darting away from the hull could be seen clearly by the trail they left sprinting off the way they did. A very wonderful sight indeed.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 05-22-19, 07:48 PM   #8188
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
Have you checked the sensor files of D4Y3? Last time I checked it was full of Allied radars since 1941. I removed them all in my install.

The plane itself is also available since the very start of the war, when it shouldn't be in widespread use until around 1943 (or 1944 for the D4Y3 version).
They were in use in 1942 albeit mostly in a reconnaissance role.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 05-22-19, 07:50 PM   #8189
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
We opened the dates for all of the assets in the game, since "bad calls" in RGG of ships, planes, etc. not available time-wise were showing up anyway (why does the game adhere to some dates, and ignores others??) and not functioning correctly. We now attempt to limit plane availability by Air Groups and try to avoid GENERIC calls in RGG. Anyway... The Judy did have radar from the get-go, but rudimentary, and from what I've read, usually in the "experimental" early planes that were converted into carrier-based reconnaissance planes, so we might delve into that also...

I have experimentally tweaked a few settings in a couple AI files, and I now at least have consistency between day and night observation... They don't see me at Ahead Standard, PD, with my scope up, during night ~or~ day hours now... - that's not correct either... more tweaking is called for, of course...
I would assume it is difficult to model realistic daylight submerged visibility and night time visibility.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 05-22-19, 08:23 PM   #8190
propbeanie

It does seem that there is no happy medium between surface ships shooting the big guns at each other (which they still don't do correctly), and not seeing a submarine so easily from 5200 yards. Similarly with a night surface attack. If you set sensors up for that, you lose the distance vision of the AI. What gets me, is that if you make an AI submarine that can sit below the surface of the water, the AI on the surface ship "sees" them, and shoots their guns at them, while starting their depth charge run. I don't mean shots from the fore guns, just to keep the sub honest about its periscope use, I mean it's like the sub is on the surface, and they're giving it broadside after broadside, as they "weave" their way in. From what I can recall from my reading, they would come straight on practically, Ahead Flank, with the occasional slight change in course as an anti-torpedo measure, to get to the submarine's "targeted" location ASAP, and drop the boom-boom on them. Drive them deep, so they're ineffective.

There's just gotta be some way to get a better balance... maybe...