SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-14, 05:38 PM   #571
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Chantix worked for me. I broke a 36 year long pack a day habit in just a month and have been tobacco free since 2007.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 07:01 PM   #572
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I quit about two years ago after my mother died. She hadn't smoked for 12 years, died from pulmonary fib., but the smoking didn't help. I had a good friend die of lung cancer at 51.....I still miss them, but have no plans to ever pick them up, more so after watching my father suffer the last two years and headed for the grave soon.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 08:26 PM   #573
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun Cook View Post
Thanks for the advice and congratulations on those three years!

Unfortunately, those kind of books didn't work for me so far. I find it amazing that they help a lot of people to quit rather easily though.

I would suggest it. I purchased it for $9. Amazon. It is worth a try. It worked for me and my wife. We never looked back.
Old 03-05-14, 11:12 PM   #574
gordonmull
Lieutenant

Downloads: 20

4 months off them, e-cig route after all NRT failed over a number of years. Down to 3mg liquid now. Never going back. I was on 30 a day before one evening I couldn't be bothered to go to the shop to get fag papers and used this little life saver instead.

Big thumbs up to everyone else that's struggling to get through this horrible addiction.

I could slap my 17yo face senseless. Nearly 20 years a smoker thanks to that stupid little **** back then that thought that addiction could never happen to me.

Keep at it
gordonmull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 05:53 AM   #575
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
You missed out on a fine cigar jim.

I used to smoke 10 small ones or 2 or 3 big ones a week then I just gave up. Not on the grounds of health just gave up like that and never had any withdraw symptoms.
I was referring to the wife ya daft bugga

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 06:12 AM   #576
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

I quit cold turkey and suffered immensely for three months. I became short tempered and aggressive. Luckily da goverment suppots quitting and it was easy to get absence from work. There is grand vision that Finland will be smoking free country by 2030; remains to be seen

Still have a weight problem btw. An extra 10kg to hinder diving.

On positive side I feel more energetic and active, my skin looks better, I generally smell better, flu and hangover goes by much easier and girls say my mojo is improved.

Two years without smoking earns me a subsim guit smoking U-boat badge
Old 03-07-14, 07:20 AM   #577
L.T
Torpedoman

Downloads: 25

closing in on 10 months without the lungtorpedoes.

I used champix smoke stop pills took me 21 days on them to stop. After that its just mental.

I have gained some weight aprox 12 kg and it realy sux, but atleast im out of the morning cough and the smell. Any other new non smoker experience this totaly insane fobia against the smell of smokers. I have no problem with smokers, let them smoke to there grave, but the smell....it simply gets to me now and i cant understand why my family have been able to live with me...well it might just be me

Im planning of being an ex smoker for the rest of my days, not a fanatical one, just another one
L.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 02:15 PM   #578
guntherprien
Hand rag

Downloads: 170

Watching my Dad in the last stages of small cell lung cancer cured my 25yr + habit of smoking everything from bongs,pipes,buckets,spliffs,sticks etc in a moment.
I still crave,but seeing what looked like giblets in his colostomy bag made me realise smoking is for mugs.
Unfortunately I need the same cure to stop my excessive boozing.
Any ideas ?
guntherprien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-14, 06:39 PM   #579
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntherprien View Post
Any ideas ?
If you go to a bar regularly, cut down on the amount of visits - find some other hobby to occupy that time or invite friends and family round for a proper sit-at-the-table meal and an argument-causing game like Monopoly. Tell them the reason so they don't bring their own temptations.

If you drink at home then only buy half as much as you normally would for a day, a week, etc., and try your best not to top-up your stash. If you drink watching a particular telly program then record it, go to bed early and wake early - watch it then.

Of course these things are easy to say and not so easy to stick to, but it's a start.

I'm sure someone will be alone with more sage advice soon.
Old 03-07-14, 08:10 PM   #580
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I used to smoke. I also used to dip snuff and chew tobacco too.

My nicotine habits started with a can of skoal. (That's dip for the uninitiated). Later on, i would occasionally chew Tobacco. My first pouch being Redman. For the most part i dipped snuff though, chewing tobacco (not to be confused with dip) would make you "juice" too much. My brand started with Skoal, then later Kodiak, and some occasional Copenhagen. (Or as some of my buds who also dipped snuff would call it, "Cough n gaggin") When I did chew tobacco, it was Redman or Beechnut, but preferred Beechnut.

After i started dipping though, I soon began underage drinking, which considering where i was at the time, was very normal. After i started drinking copious amounts of beer, i started bumming smokes off my friends. Usually Marboro Lights. Soon after, i stopped bumming and started buying my own. At one point, on a friday night, one would find me with a beer in one hand, a marboro light in the other, and a pinch of skoal or kodiak in my jaw somewhere. First id' spit out the tobacco juice so i could drink my beer. Then i'd chase the beer with a drag on a coffin nail. When I went oversea's this increased, and would easily smoke an entire pack of cigarettes an evening. Often "jumps tarting" my next smoke, with one i currently had in my mouth and was nearly finished with. I would spend the following morning coughing up tar. (Gotta love those Eighty Eight's)

I did smokeless tobacco for nearly 5 years. I smoked for at least two years. I didn't smoke longer because it was as i call it, an "associated habit" that was tied with beer. At one point, i cut back on my drinking, when that happened i cut back on my smoking. Beer and smokes went hand in hand, and it took me awhile to break the two apart. Quiting smoking was easy though, because i got more nicotine from smokeless tobacco. What eventually got me off of dip, was having a gum graph at an Air Force hospital. Receeding gum lines and all that, were exposing the roots of my upper teeth where i apparently liked to keep my wad of dip the most. Having that procedure done was enough to scare me off of it. Haven't touched it since.

In my later years (late 20's, early 30's maybe), I have had an occasional smoke, but it is something I can no longer do. Everytime I had just one smoke for old times sake, I would end up with a hacking chest cold. Presumably my body's way in telling me that some things are not under the purview of nostalgia. I can't remember when i last had a smoke, but i can smell marboro's a mile away.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 12:05 AM   #581
gordonmull
Lieutenant

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Me too, my boozing has increased by about a third since i stopped fags. Since I wasn't actually a light drinker beforehand it's not too good, but i say to myself "One thing at a time". If I try to do it all at once I'll be soon back with a fag in one hand and and a drink in the other.

Since I've quit tobacco I've been suffering from insomnia and I just get drunk to beat it. It's maybe a bit of a stupid thing to do but it works. I think I just need to learn to sleep again without carbon monoxide in my blood.

First nicotine, then booze and then I'll get fit and learn to run cross country again like I used to in my teens. Seriously!
gordonmull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 07:06 AM   #582
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Best cure for the booze....PM me and I'll send you the forwarding address to send it too

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 09:29 AM   #583
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

I stopped smoking years ago, but still enjoy Cuban cigars on special occasions.

Please read up on the e-cigarettes as they can be rather dangerous.
Patches etc, should also be considered last resort, as you are substituing one addiction with another. The whole idea of using patches and gum to get off the habit is a pure marketing sale.

If possible, get to the root of the addiction - and I can tell you right up front, that its NOT physical - its mental.

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:16 AM   #584
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Cigarettes cause heart disease and cancer, E-Cigarettes just cause heart disease. Not much of an improvement in my book.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 04:21 PM   #585
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Well I quit in 2009. Then in the middle of 2011 after changing jobs and being sent away to work on a ****ty refurb of a rig I started again. Well I quit again December last year. Cold turkey. The reason being I'd signed up to a 180 mile 2 day cycle. So need to get fit and no way could I do that and smoke. Feels awesome and haven't put on weight. It's tough but doable.