SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-12, 05:54 PM   #556
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Unfortunately, my attempt a while ago eventually failed.

After about 3 months and some stressful days at work that stupid thought that one can't harm brought me down. But while I quickly was smoking the same amount as I did before, I kept doing the sports I started with when I first gave up. This way, I could feel the quick "drain" of the condition - and I've had enough of it.

So I'll have my (second) last one in a minute, wake up tomorrow and do a 3-miles-run first thing in the morning into those crazy first withdrawal days.
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 06:26 PM   #557
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I'm going on 5 years since my last cigarette after a 36 year pack a day habit. If I had to give one piece of advice to those just starting to quit it would be this:

Don't give up giving up. If you slip up a little don't declare failure and go back to smoking full time. Get right back on the wagon and keep fighting the good fight.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 06:33 PM   #558
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I'm going on 5 years since my last cigarette after a 36 year pack a day habit. If I had to give one piece of advice to those just starting to quit it would be this:

Don't give up giving up. If you slip up a little don't declare failure and go back to smoking full time. Get right back on the wagon and keep fighting the good fight.
That's fantastic advice. It's your health on the line, and that's worth more than just a one-try deal. Keep it up everybody, we're pulling for you!
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 06:30 AM   #559
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obltn Strand View Post
I thought only Switzerland and Norway would beat our price. Well doesn't matter anymore.
Not far off 7 Euros a pack of 20 atm but as you say it doesn't matter anymore...good luck in quitting

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 10:18 AM   #560
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obltn Strand View Post
Newest addition to those kaleuns who don't foul up a convoy attack beacuse of a cigarette glow. One and half week without cigarettes and finally I'm feeling better

Smoked 17 years, pretty much half of my life, some 1 pack a day.
Two years now, smoke free.
Old 03-05-14, 10:36 AM   #561
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

I'm down to almost half a pack per month. And these I even don't smoke for real...just holding them in the hand slowly burning down.^^ But the amount of chewing gum I'm consuming now is rising higher and higher.

Must stop completely now, because I got a nicotin allergy...after 9 years of smoking.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 10:57 AM   #562
Kaleun Cook
Chief

It's been ages since I posted in this thread, just got an email notification after your post.

Since my enthusiastic post here I kept failing time and time again. While I am getting older and certainly notice the health drawbacks of this addiction, stressful circumstances made me go back so many times. The most stupid part is that by now I begin to notice the positive effects on the body after quitting even after one day - still I eventually fail.

I'm considering a "frontal assault" now: I'll have to move soon. If I manage to stay clean during those days, I'm hopefully prepared to deal with other stressful situations as well.
Old 03-05-14, 11:02 AM   #563
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

My father is dying from COPD. He was just in ICU for 3 weeks, then to rehab, but he signed out the first day so he could smoke. Dr's give him less than 6 months so he is at home with hospice....still smoking.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 11:20 AM   #564
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun Cook View Post
It's been ages since I posted in this thread, just got an email notification after your post.

Since my enthusiastic post here I kept failing time and time again. While I am getting older and certainly notice the health drawbacks of this addiction, stressful circumstances made me go back so many times. The most stupid part is that by now I begin to notice the positive effects on the body after quitting even after one day - still I eventually fail.

I'm considering a "frontal assault" now: I'll have to move soon. If I manage to stay clean during those days, I'm hopefully prepared to deal with other stressful situations as well.
Read the book McBeck suggested. It worked for me and my wife. Allen Carr, Stop Smoking the Easy Way. The book re-engineered our mind and what cigarettes really are. We have been smoke free for 3 plus years now.
Old 03-05-14, 11:57 AM   #565
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Read the book McBeck suggested. It worked for me and my wife. Allen Carr, Stop Smoking the Easy Way. The book re-engineered our mind and what cigarettes really are. We have been smoke free for 3 plus years now.
I thought it longer than that Chris, me being about six months behind you

Old 03-05-14, 01:46 PM   #566
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I thought it longer than that Chris, me being about six months behind you
It might be. I would have to consult our calender. My wife marks significant dates on it each year. Our stop smoking would be one of them.
Old 03-05-14, 02:38 PM   #567
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Stay busy. It's the habit of going through the motions of smoking that is the hardest to break.
I quit for ten weeks while going through basic training. After the first week it wasn't so bad as long as I didn't smell someone else puffing. The drills and instructors weren't allowed to smoke in our vicinity. But, once I hit A-school and got off post... My habit was still extremely curtailed but I just couldn't stop altogether. Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. I wish you luck.

You could always try some of those smokeless cigarettes. They make them with gradually decreasing charges of nicotine and they taste like crap so they might improve your odds for success.

There was a television program some years back where a man hired a smoking cessation company to help him quit. The company had goombahs watching him constantly. When he got caught lighting up they took his wife and tortured her. When he got caught a second time they started removing fingers from his wife. He finally succeeded in quitting. But then came the inevitable weight gain, so they helped him with that too.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 02:38 PM   #568
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Quote:
Thanks for the advice and congratulations on those three years!

Unfortunately, those kind of books didn't work for me so far. I find it amazing that they help a lot of people to quit rather easily though.
Old 03-05-14, 02:43 PM   #569
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
It might be. I would have to consult our calender. My wife marks significant dates on it each year. Our stop smoking would be one of them.
Having never smoked, the wife wouldn't have it on the calendar list of important dates...unlike her birthday

Old 03-05-14, 03:44 PM   #570
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Having never smoked
You missed out on a fine cigar jim.

I used to smoke 10 small ones or 2 or 3 big ones a week then I just gave up. Not on the grounds of health just gave up like that and never had any withdraw symptoms.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote