SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-18, 06:06 AM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default Brave Browser

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I only stumbled across this yesterday. I was following a trail involving tracking and such, and up popped a YouTube video proclaiming Brave as the best browser of 2018.

The team that created Brave is led by Brendan Eich, co-founder of Mozilla and the man who created JavaScript. It's fairly spartan in appearance and function, but its Settings page lets you control what search engine you use and several other parameters with a click of the mouse. It also has a built-in ad-blocker that seems to work quite well, and one of the controllable functions is anti-tracking, which can be set from all to some to no tracking at all.

There are better browsers out there for different purposes, but Brave is one of the ones that focuses on privacy more than anything else. I'm liking it so far, but I'll be trying others as well.
https://www.brave.com/

ps: One thing this has done for me is open up the way I view the internet. I knew about the biggies, and they all had things I didn't like. Now I suddenly find myself more open to experimenting with alternative browsers and search engines.

pps: Based on what I've read during my search I've also switched to DuckDuckGo for my search engine. It too seems to be focused mainly on privacy, and someone has said that if you open two separate search windows it doesn't even track itself! We'll see.
Old 04-25-18, 07:54 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Never heard of Brave before, thanks for the heads-up, I will give it further examination.

Duck-Duck-Go is a very America-focused crawler, and of not as much use for international users. If you want to check an alternative, Startpage is what I use most, it does not store IPS numbers and allows to seal off your private sphere quite good. I just do not know in how far you as an American resident may fall under special US legislation that forces such internet offers to open up to US demands to compromise security settings, the legal standards for US and European residents/users are quite different by now. Check whether startpage is safe when using it in the US, before trusting it too much.

I would not trust anything computer-related anymore.

Yahoo still is to be preferred over Google, because although it collects quite a lot of data, the abuse of these data is not yet as excessive as in the case of Google. Better of course is to avoid Yahoo as well. But sometimes these smaller crawlers like Duck-Duck and Startpage just do not cut it.

P.S. Lao Tse, eh...?
Old 04-25-18, 11:02 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Startpage is probably fine for US use. I took a quick look and it is one of the twenty search engines ready for use in the Brave Search list. To use it you just click a button and it's on.

I'm liking this browser more and more.

Oh, yeah, Lao-Tse. I have an ever-growing list of quotes I like, and they come from all sorts of people. I even have one attributed to Stalin and another to Göring. If I like the quote, the source doesn't matter much to me.
Old 04-25-18, 02:43 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
If I like the quote, the source doesn't matter much to me.
Always beware the context it was made in.
Old 04-25-18, 03:40 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Duck Duck Go is a great browser. I use it on my phone. I have downloaded Brave and like it a lot. Thanks for the tip Steve.