SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-08, 11:39 AM   #1
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default [REL] Thomsen's Sound Pack V 3.0, 3.1 & 3.2

Ahoy there...

For me, sound is one of the most important things in a game, both for imersion and for realism. There is a huge lack of sound mods for SH3, so I decided to start doing that, collecting every sound I could and putting it to work for the sake of all of us. I bet you're already tired of listening the same old sounds since you start playing SH3, while all the other parts of the game are updated by mods in a daily basis.

This is the THIRD version (actually the 194th version I think ) of my sound pack mod. In this version I have some few surprises for you guys...

- Destroyer sound
Remember those moments of tension in Das Boot when a destroyer was passing over them ready to depth charge? Now you have it. The sound you'll hear inside the u-boat when you're submerged and a destroyer is coming above you to sh!t all over you is the same sound from the movie. I've been playing with it and I must say it sounds incredible. Much more frightening!

- No more looping cranks sounds
Now you have a lot of short creak sounds, which is more realistic, and prevents the game from looping these sounds.

- Increased number of different cranks
from 4 to 47 (yes, 47 different sounds) in shuffle mode, working in groups of 5, so you can have a combination of 1.533.939 different creak sounds everytime you load your game. (ps. Refer to the V3.1 update)

- Reduced bass
of most sounds for headphone players. No more distortion when listening to sounds with high volume.

- Real sounds
of diesel engines, recorded during the WW2, by BBC.
of torpedos being launched from uboat, recorded during the WW2 by BBC.
of weather sounds (wind, ocean, rain, thunder rolls) recorded by BBC.

- WhispeRING RING mod included
lower volume on the RING RING sound for orders in speed changes so your dont hurt your ears.

- Identifying target/Solution to target
New sounds for it, a more realistic approach, you hear the sound of book searching and TDC calculations, instead of the instant response. Although the sound is longer and more realistic, I'm still working on the order reply (still coming out after two seconds, instead of after the sound finishes).

- Submarine ambient Interior Sounds
Three new sounds for it. All of them are 30 minutes long, so you don't have to hear the same short and repetitive sound all the time, the patrols are long, so should be the ambient sound. The first one is a ambient sound taken from Das Boot, so you have a lot of crew chatting in the back. The second one is with no chatting at all, for those who understand german language and think its not imersive. The third one (which will be played by default) is a mix of both first and second, but chatting on the left channel and ambient on the right, creating a very nice and imersive stereo ambient. It's my favorite one.

- New radio sounds
For new radio message received. You can hear the typewritter and crew chatting. For those who like to hear the morse code, there's also a compressed file inside, just de-compress it and enable via JSGME.

And thousand other things you'll notice during gameplay. I'll not put it all here becouse I can't remember all of them. Over 10 thousand files.

Im my humble opinion there's still a LOT of things to fix/improve. Im not even close to be satisfied with the sound pack yet, but I realised that I can't go on without feedback, and that's where you all can help!

Quote:
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.1 is online at my FileFront page!

The new version have very important corrections on the creak sounds:

1 - They now aren't so frequent, have a delay between items and plus a random delay over that.
2 - Their volume was cut down to half of the original amplitude, all 47 files.

Enable it via JSGME as the original sound pack.

THIS IS A COMPLEMENT TO THE SOUND PACK V3, NOT THE WHOLE FILE! For now I'll keep this as a complement, when I reach a acceptable point on this, I'll put together with the sound pack and upload as one single file. It's pretty large, 6 hours of upload, so doesn't makes sense to keep uploading all again each time I change something.

First enable the sound pack, then this on top of it, or replace the files into the original sound pack and enable it again.

Now you guys must test it and report back to BDU, as my game is not working, so I can't test it myself. I found that the reason that the creaks were so loud is that my volume was very low when I was producing them. Now I've set my volume to the normal I used to play the game, and it sounds more acceptable, but still if you're not satisfied, it can be changed again, that's why feedback is so important!
Quote:
V3.2 UPLOADED!

Small fix on the collision_ship.wav. Removed the german voices from it, so it wouldn't be weird when hearing two british ships colliding.
CHANGELOG:

I don't keep a changelog.

F.A.Q.

1) Is this mod compatible with *whatever*?

For being a sound mod, its much easier to have compatibility with anything. I'll not post the list of mods that this sound pack is compatible with, it would be a long list. When enabling with JSGME, compatibility issues will be presented to you, or not. If you have any doubt about any compatibility, ask me here, posting the files that JSGME found being used by another mod and I'll give you an answer, and if thats the case I'll upload a file solving the issue for you. Basically it will work normally with anything, but in case of warning messages about files of .dat, .dsd, .txt and .cfg extensions, please ask me more details here.

2) How do I install it?

First off, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you to have the latest version of winrar, this sound pack is heavily compressed to make a more easy download, so you can get bad extractions using older versions of winrar. Its 850 mb of mod compressed in a 350mb solid archive. Just extract the content of the .rar file in your silenthunterIII/mods directory. Done that, enable it via JSGME. Even being compatible with GWX, its very likely for you to get warning messages when enabling, thats normal. Any doubt, read the 1) above.

3) I cant hear the "jahowl, herr kaleun" when giving an order, whats up?

From the "instructions.txt" in the mod folder:

Quote:
This mod changes almost everysound of the game, and also removed that annoying
"Jahowl, herr kaleun" everytime you give an order. I hate to hear that everytime, so I removed
it, now you only hear the crew taking care of executing the order, after a little pause. After watching some movies, I've come to realize that this way is much more realistic.
If you want that back, just delete the following files of my mod before enabling it:
Inside the folders 1 to 9 in speech, delete:
ChE_K_Yes_Sir.ogg
ChE_S_Yes_Sir.ogg
ChE_P_Yes_Sir.ogg
Deleting those will make the mod work with the "jahowl kerr kaleun" after giving every order.
4) I don't like *whatever* on the sound mod

Thats great! Be a good guy and start throwing wrenches at Thomsen!
Decent mods are made after a lot of feedback. Say what you don't like, why you don't like and how it should be modifyed. Modifying a sound is very easy for me, difficult is knowing where to use the magic wand!

5) Thomsen, when I enable your sound pack I lose some functionalities on the keyboard, like the binoculars and other stuff.

It's very easy to fix this. Just follow these steps:

1) Disable my mod, go to my mod's folder and delete both folders "MENU" and "CFG"
2) Enable my mod back on.
3) Go to sh3/data/menu and open en_menu.txt and change the line #1052 to:

1052=System check, diesel engine start

4) Open the sh3/data/cfg/commands_en.cfg and edit it with the notepad, in line #341:

[Cmd341]
Name=WP_Target_nearest_ship
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F140002
Str=1052
Key0=0x53,Cc,"CTRL S"
Key1=0x53,c,"CTRL S"

Just copy and paste this over there. So there you go, you have the CTRL+S system start at the beggining of your patrol working with any version of commands_en.cfg and en_menu.txt, so by all means this will make V3 compatible with anything.

6) But thomsen, you're nutz! How the hell am I going to download such enormous file if I have a dial-up conection?

Easy there... Thinking of you guys, I've uploaded the same file divided in 10 parts, so you can download 10x 35mb files without a sweat!

7) The other interior sounds you mentined before, how do I put them to work?

The three sounds are in the same folder (sound folder). To activate them you have to rename them. The game will only load "ambient_submarineInterior.wav", so the other files have a number in the end "... interior1.wav" or "...interior2.wav"... you just have to rename the one you want, removing that number in the end.
-------------------------------------------------------------

There's a lot of guys behind all this sounds, which I don't know. If you think you have part on any of these sounds, I thank you very much for all your effort, it wouldn't be possible without it.

SUBSIM LINK 3.0 Here
Latest Version, contains 3.1 and 3.2 here

Last edited by ReallyDedPoet; 10-02-09 at 09:36 AM. Reason: New Version
Philipp_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living