SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-17, 11:34 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Is the campaign in SH5 really dynamic?

When watching SH5 videos I see that the campaign is subdivised in different mission operations that unlock when you succeed (you can cheat to make them all available by entering a keyword). But does that mean that the campaign is scripted only?
Will there be random encounters during campaign, random spawns? Will the campaign play out differently each time you start it?
Or will it be the same each time, all ships comming from the same bearing, always the same ships, always ship x + ship y ?

So basically, is it SH3/SH4 which have very good campagins that are also open for modding, or is it more like SH2 with nice grafics but with repetitive / scripted missions only?

My preference in a sub sim is not that there is a huge campaign, but only that every situation is different each time you play it through. I know that RSR, SH1/SH3/SH4, Cold Waters, Dangerous Waters, Silent Service I, II achieve this and I highly enjoy these games.

Thanks to give me a campaign feedback for the gameplay of SH5 1.2 + TWOS, which seems to be the best playing solution. Can I play SH5+TWOS all with german voices and still tweaking up or down the difficulty, for instance auto-TDC instead of manual TDC?

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-10-17 at 12:28 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 08:40 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Ok, I asked this before installing SH5 to see if it's worth instead of playing straight on SH3 + megamod.
Now, I have gone through the long steps to install SH5 correctly and see it in action, so I can respond to the title as follows:

YES, the campaign is dynamic, although at first glance it doesn't seem so. The different campaign 'parts' are scripted but beyond that there is a world with naval traffic and sea battles going on in which you can get involved. How random this background is, well that's still a mystery to me, but it is there, no question.

And if this is not enough, there is a mod called 'Open Horizons' which boosts the campaign and can be installed over the stock game patched at 1.2.0, OR: get asap the complete TWoS mod which contains essentials of OH 2.5.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-21-17 at 10:50 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 06:01 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi XS
Quote:
Can I play SH5+TWOS all with german voices and still tweaking up or down the difficulty, for instance auto-TDC instead of manual TDC?
Yes IIRC change the game play settings to manual targeting.
In the Options File Editor Viewer XO Tab untick the box to force manual targeting.
Again IIRC its been a long time ago since I used auto you should get both TDC options off and on so you can choose auto or manual shooting.
For manual shooting this tutorial is useful, start at picture 10.
Post #146 Auto TDC Targeting Without Using 3 Circles > Updated Pictorial
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote