SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-19, 10:12 AM   #16
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
KaleunMarco: yes, I will give you that; the game's beginning to join me at the hip...

merc4ulfate: thanks for the suggestion. I took a look at some footage of it on YouTube & the water does look decent.
The one thing I'm looking for, the water quality, unfortunately comes at the price of dozens of things I'm not looking for. It's something I'll have to mull over; I'm still at the shallow end of the pool..
When you say "at a price of a dozen things I am not looking for"

What do you mean specifically? The reason I ask is that there are other MOD that might be suitable for you.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 01:57 PM   #17
Greystone
Sparky

Downloads: 135

And just when I was getting resigned to sub-par graphics...
Bleiente; how do you do it? Is that the way your water looks all the time? It doesn't revert to the "other" ocean?
The "I'm still at the shallow end of the pool" is a poor analogy; sometimes I tend to just blurt things out. A more accurate statement is that I tend to want to keep things simple, uncomplicated, take one step at a time, savor it, play with it, & when & if I'm ready to move on, look at other possibilities.
To have an ocean that looks like yours, though, I could convince myself to just plow ahead..
Tell me, please, how did you get it to look like that, especially if it doesn't revert to the crappy version every time you turn around. If it's a state secret, feel free to send me a message.

Meanwhile, merc4ulfate, your suggestion that another MOD might be suitable for me was taken to heart and I went back to an earlier post in this thread where stork100 suggested I try the Real Environment Mod, which I did earlier this morning (thanks stork100 & the mod's authors). It is definitely an improvement over the old ocean, and I appreciate it's new take on ocean graphics, something I could live with, but it would take nothing short of perfection to match what Bleiente's managed to come up with, especially if it's like that all the time.

I don't know where this's all going to lead to, but it's intriguing as all get-out. As far as I'm concerned, the people on this forum walk on water.
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 02:41 PM   #18
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@Greystone

If you have Silent Hunter 4 V1.5 (including UBM), just click on my signature.
It is a compilation of some big and many minor modifications explicitly for SH4 V1.5.
You can influence the level of difficulty yourself, it is very easy to control.

And yes - the sea always looks good to me.

Last edited by Bleiente; 01-10-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 06:20 PM   #19
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
I don't know where this's all going to lead to...
CTD: Compulsive Tweaking Disorder, mate.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 11:25 PM   #20
Greystone
Sparky

Bleiente; thanks for getting back to me.

stork100; your post had me laughing. Yes, I can feel the insidious disease eating away as I type...
Old 01-11-19, 04:07 PM   #21
Greystone
Sparky

Well, Bleiente, I'm sorry to say that installing the mod didn't eliminate the graphics changing over to the less desirable mode. By the time I reached Midway from Pearl it had already happened. Sorry to have to report this to you. I'm glad for you that it doesn't happen to you and, well, what can I say? Sorry.

As it is, I've grown weary of pursuing the issue. The strange water graphics that come and go appear to simply be an inherent part of the game. Time to let this thread rest & move on; there are other fish to fry.
Old 01-11-19, 04:32 PM   #22
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I am very sorry, then the problem lies with you alone.
Old 01-11-19, 04:58 PM   #23
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That's the thing of it Greystone, it is NOT a thing of the game. As your screenshots show in your First Post, those can be 'normal' water conditions, but usually for just a while, then the game will cycle back to another state. I've got your computer specs as:
Win7, 64 bit
nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti with 2GB memory
CPU 3.2 Ghz
8GB ram
37GB free space left on the HD
I've got a 560Ti, 1 gig, old quadcore Q8300 with 8g RAM, Win7-64. No overclocking, nothing fancy at all. I've got an old NEC 5-4 monitor, 1850e, with a native resolution of 1280x1024, and Windows is set to that. I have the game's graphics settings set to match that. Here's my water (under calm conditions) in stock:

and the in-game settings:

I haven't even begun to noodle with the settings in the nVidia Inspector, nor the GeForce Experience, which has an "auto-optimize" for games (I've heard that before ). This is the card with default settings, but matching the display monitor and windows for screen resolution... btw, Bleiente's mod is very much fun.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-19, 06:24 PM   #24
Greystone
Sparky

I understand now that the way the ocean looks, when it reverts to what it looks like in the pictures at the beginning of this post, is normal for this game. I accept that now, but I didn't at first. What I haven't accepted all along was HOW it looked; sort of an "I accept it but don't have to like it" kind of stance. I thought they could've done a better job of it (depicting ocean foam?). My ocean looks just as good as yours and Bleiente's when it cycles back (in my opinion, the way the ocean should look) to the other mode. I was excited about trying Bleiente's mod because I was under the impression that if I implemented it, I'd never have to see the "bad" side of the ocean again. But this is all a work in progress.. I'm, really, just a green pea when it comes integrating the realities & workings of SH4 & getting a sense of what works, what doesn't, what directions lead to dead-ends, etc. I've been with SubSim for, what, 10-12 years now & all that time, up until a month or so ago, it's been with SH3. Thanks to all you people & your assistance in helping me get a handle on SH4, I may actually get this game working to my satisfaction. It's already a lot better. Cheers..
Old 01-12-19, 04:35 PM   #25
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Didn't read all the post, so not sure, but sometimes water gets twitchy, graphic issues and laggy, you can usually just reset the weather to clear it out, rather than go to port. Just don't do it in a storm surrounded by the enemy as it clears the weather and you'll get shot to pieces if you're on the surface.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 04:45 PM   #26
Greystone
Sparky

Thanks Armistead..