Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-02-13, 07:29 AM   #106
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=201396

Was that dangerous enough?

It certainly was stupid enough by me. Three mistakes: fuel calculation wrong. Not landing at Linz when realising the possibility of trouble. Flying around Vienna instead of doing a direct emergency approach.

To my defence I must say that in reality I maybe still could miscalculate fuel, but I never would have decided against landing early at Linz, to be safe. After all this is just a simulation and intentionally doing crazy stuff is part of the fun value.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-02-13 at 07:36 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-13, 12:19 PM   #107
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

My dad was a pilot for United for 36 years. He once told me a real-life story that parallels your adventure. He was flying a Boeing 720 into Philadelphia Airport in a snowstorm. The IFR runway was only 6500 feet / 1981m. With full reverse thrust and full brakes they came to a stop less than 200 feet from the end of the runway. All was well, and they didn't think any more about it.

The next day, on the return trip in the same plane, they landed on the 13,000 foot / 3685m at Los Angeles on a bright sunny day. They applied full reverse thrust and the brakes...and the brakes failed! Plenty of room to stop at LAX, but at PHL in the snow?
Old 02-02-13, 07:02 PM   #108
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

When fate wants to give you a heads-up, it really is going after you, isn't it?!
Old 02-03-13, 03:03 AM   #109
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I had a pretty hairy landing just now. I decided I was going to do a puddle jump (not really, just a short 30 min flight) in a CRJ70 (I believe is the name) from Nagasaki, Japan to Fukuoka, Japan.

Took off and it was light rain and broken skies at dusk. By the time I got to Fukuoka, visibility was practically Zero. I mean the runway was fogged in! I was lucky that I had some practice lately on ILS landings because I glided right in and saw the runway just seconds before I actually landed on it. Pretty tense when you cant see anything around you for visual reference!
Old 02-03-13, 03:04 AM   #110
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
I had a pretty hairy landing just now. I decided I was going to do a puddle jump (not really, just a short 30 min flight) in a CRJ70 (I believe is the name) from Nagasaki, Japan to Fukuoka, Japan.

Took off and it was light rain and broken skies at dusk. By the time I got to Fukuoka, visibility was practically Zero. I mean the runway was fogged in! I was lucky that I had some practice lately on ILS landings because I glided right in and saw the runway just seconds before I actually landed on it. Pretty tense when you cant see anything around you for visual reference!

EDIT: It was fogged in because I made it so, I wanted to try a challenging ILS landing today
Old 09-12-13, 05:46 PM   #111
thestoon
Watch

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Another difficult - and indeed high-risk - landing, is Lukla, Nepal.

Samedan, Switzerland, also is not the easiest, if following the realistic approach procedures. I think they also demand special license there, but I am not certain.

Finally, as mentioned earlier, Kai Tak, Hong Kong, now dead however.
Sion is my favourite. Starts as a 6 (eek!) degree glideslope ILS approach, offset 7 degrees from the runway, becoming visual at 3500ft, left turn over the town, followed by a right turn to land. Alps on either side. Not much room for mistakes.

This is it done in real life..

thestoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 10:06 PM   #112
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I hate to Necro an old thread but I figure may as well use this one instead of putting up a new one.

Who here still invests time into FSX? Skybird or anyone?? Im looking back through this thread but its been about 6 months since I've flown and Im going to probably need some advice soon, lots of it. I am going to be getting a new joystick soon since my old one kinda took a crap, and then I might go for Track IR, 130$ is modest. haha.

Casey
Old 01-20-14, 03:00 AM   #113
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Not had FSX installed for a few months, and not played for a few before that.

What stick are you thinking of? And TrackIR is a must and well worth it.
Old 01-20-14, 04:14 AM   #114
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Not had FSX installed for a few months, and not played for a few before that.

What stick are you thinking of? And TrackIR is a must and well worth it.

Honestly, the NEX here on base has some promising decently priced ones, Ill give the names after.

And shame, I need some teachings.. my first flight was horrendous. I forgot how much of a pain it can be sometimes. But I did get it to line up right.

A few things though;

1) I flew from LAX to Las Vegas.. they originally directed me out into the PAcific and never turned me to make a course change, what gives??

2) If I remember correct (im 99% sure I did it right in my approach) but once you get your runway, you tune your NAV 1 freq to that and when they send you in on an approach you'll hit the NAV LOC button so it locks onto the Localizer signal? Once it shows its lined up then descend to 3k ft to intercept the Glideslope from below, now do you hit APP (Approach hold) right as you come up to the GS or as soon as youre good on your localizer??

3) What exactly is the course selector for again?? (Not the autopilot heading selector, but the yellow one) To set the course of the runway you will be landing on right?? Well where do I find that information at??

All in all it was a brutal little flight, thanks to ATC one leg that was supposed to be 5 minutes turned into a 20 minute adventure the wrongway... must say some very unhappy passengers, 40 minutes delayed. Not to mention.. Orbit Airlines is now thinking of suing KLAX ATCs for wasting so much fuel.. its a crazy world we live in.
Old 01-20-14, 06:25 AM   #115
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
3) What exactly is the course selector for again?? (Not the autopilot heading selector, but the yellow one) To set the course of the runway you will be landing on right?? Well where do I find that information at??
It's painted in big white letters at the start of each runway.
Old 01-20-14, 03:17 PM   #116
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
It's painted in big white letters at the start of each runway.

Well all the Is next to eachother or the Numbers before them ?!
Old 01-20-14, 04:03 PM   #117
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Damnit - numbers!
Old 01-20-14, 08:17 PM   #118
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Damnit - numbers!

Haha I got that now. Seriously though, do you remember a way in the GPS to look up the course of a runway?? I cant remember exactly how to find it.. I found the screen to show what approaches look like but it doesnt give me a course.
Old 01-20-14, 09:35 PM   #119
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I'm still over here rocking FS2004...
Old 01-20-14, 10:28 PM   #120
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I'm still over here rocking FS2004...

I had FS 1998 but 2004 was in a engineering class where we learned to do different engineering systems like flying and such, that was the first time i saw the beauty of the mountains and was like ,its gorgeous :P