Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-23-13, 08:37 PM   #76
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Are you familiar with the meaniong of the red-white lights left of the beginning of the runway? They are rough altitude advisors.

There are four lights in a horizontal row, and ideally you want to see - no matter your distance from the airport! - two whites, then two reds. This means you are on a tolerable altitude considering your distance from the airport.

The meanings are:

W-W-W-W : way too high. If very close to airport: go around

W-W-W-R : a bit too high

W-W-R-R : good, on or very close to ideal glidepath

W-R-R-R : too low, correct

R-R-R-R : way too low, pull up. If very close to airport: go around.

It does not matter what your distance is from the airport, if you can see the PAPI lights, they indicate to you your altitude regarding a perfect 3° glideslope. WWRR you can only see constantly if not leaving the GS envelope. For that, your sink rate for the most will be around 700 ft when having established final approach speed.
Old 01-24-13, 04:02 AM   #77
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Are you familiar with the meaniong of the red-white lights left of the beginning of the runway? They are rough altitude advisors.

There are four lights in a horizontal row, and ideally you want to see - no matter your distance from the airport! - two whites, then two reds. This means you are on a tolerable altitude considering your distance from the airport.

The meanings are:

It does not matter what your distance is from the airport, if you can see the PAPI lights, they indicate to you your altitude regarding a perfect 3° glideslope. WWRR you can only see constantly if not leaving the GS envelope. For that, your sink rate for the most will be around 700 ft when having established final approach speed.
Uhm can you post a screenie?? I am not familiar with the lights.
Old 01-24-13, 06:23 AM   #78
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I'll link it (can't be bothered to resize) - http://www.avsim.com/pages/0810/Aerosoft2/12.jpg
Old 01-24-13, 07:07 AM   #79
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ahhh okay!
Thank you!
Old 01-24-13, 07:32 AM   #80
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Uhm can you post a screenie?? I am not familiar with the lights.
Old 01-24-13, 07:33 AM   #81
Skybird
Soaring

Oh, I was late. Maybe a good idea to read a thread to the end before posting replies.
Old 01-24-13, 08:11 AM   #82
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Oh, I was late. Maybe a good idea to read a thread to the end before posting replies.
Doesn't matter, I think your pic is a better example - it shows both colours, it's smaller, and it means staying on the page.

You win this time.
Old 01-24-13, 08:59 AM   #83
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:

The meanings are:

You missed one:

G-G-G-G : Light filtering through the grass, way way way way too low.

See also: , ,
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 10:32 AM   #84
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
You missed one:

G-G-G-G : Light filtering through the grass, way way way way too low.

See also: , ,
"Everybody was turning left at Dover, which is not really the best way to get to Spain."

Good find!

P.S. ->
Old 01-24-13, 11:03 AM   #85
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Brilliant, may have to get the whole 50 minutes!
Old 01-26-13, 03:18 AM   #86
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Skybird I have a question does the weather look much more realistic with REX? I mean does fog and and everything look better? Im tired of in stock FSX Ill be flying over a bunch of low overcast clouds or crappy visibillity below me and it will glitch and dissapear or clouds will show through other clouds sometimes.

On another note, I flew from Nagasaki to Fukuoka last night with the Bombadier CRJ71 and I actually did 2 manual approaches. The first time I had to go around because I turned off autopilot earlier but I thought doing so would disengage autothrottle, it didnt. So when I came in to land at 180kts I couldnt get the damn nose to drop .

Lucky enough, I realized what happened, preformed a super manual go around disengaged everything came in to land but flared a bit to much and when the back wheels touched I hit the break and klablam! slammed the nose into the ground

The good thing is, I did it completely by ILS because I think Visibillity was 1-3 miles at sea level. And I didnt cheat
Old 01-26-13, 04:34 AM   #87
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Skybird I have a question does the weather look much more realistic with REX? I mean does fog and and everything look better?
Yes, yes, and thrice yes! It looks better, sky looks better, sun looks better, water looks better, clouds look better, dusk and dawn look amazing!

It's relatively expensive but looks fantastic, it can be a frame hitter though but I think you'll be ok now you've sorted that issue out.

Oh, and it takes (me at least) a real long time to load, but it is worth the wait.
Old 01-26-13, 06:20 AM   #88
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Skybird I have a question does the weather look much more realistic with REX? I mean does fog and and everything look better? Im tired of in stock FSX Ill be flying over a bunch of low overcast clouds or crappy visibillity below me and it will glitch and dissapear or clouds will show through other clouds sometimes.
Hmm...

http://www.aerosoft.de/_php_projekte...p?sp=fsx&p=rex

I have posted many screenshots recently in the screenshot thread, and in two or three separate threads on Airplanes. The weather in all these pics is a combination of REX2 and Active Sky Evolution.

Rex simply replaces the textures for clouds, water surfaces, cloud layers, sky, sun, plus some additional goodies like runways in wet and dry conditions, airport lights, and so on. AS translates the actual weather data you get via internet into the actual weather composition: different wind and cloud layers and the way how dense or broken they are painted, using the textures of REX. REX does this composition thing, to, but at least i n version 2 that I use it does not do that so good like AS. Current version for REX is called "REX Essentials+Overdrive". Try to find the version 2 as second hand item for lower price. With AS be careful, they check online your version and I think I had to register it during installation - buying this one second hand maybe sees you ending with a copy you cannot use.

Before you start into the addon frenzy, which quickly can become quite expensive, make sure you are satisfied with the stability of your FSX installation now. I personally - but that is a question of taste and intentions of course - would put a solid airplane addon before any other addon category to invest in.

Really, if you want to start speniong money in your new hobby, consider a solid airplane first, weather second, airport sceneries third. Traffic goes last because even your system resources are limited, and air traffic is a major hog on frames even if the code of an addon is more optimized than the Microsoft traffic routines. - Toy or simulation, what should it be? This probably decides weather you go with the weather or an airplane first. If gong with a more complex airplane you will note many differences, and many stunts you are doing now and take for granted, probably won't work anymore.

Quote:
On another note, I flew from Nagasaki to Fukuoka last night with the Bombadier CRJ71 and I actually did 2 manual approaches. The first time I had to go around because I turned off autopilot earlier but I thought doing so would disengage autothrottle, it didnt. So when I came in to land at 180kts I couldnt get the damn nose to drop .

Lucky enough, I realized what happened, performed a super manual go around disengaged everything came in to land but flared a bit to much and when the back wheels touched I hit the break and klablam! slammed the nose into the ground
Probably would have made the passengers vomit and the front gear breaking, also, wheel brakes are used only from a certain ground speed on, before it is spoilers and reverses exclusively. Many autopilot system differ between the autothrottle, the flight director, and the actual mode selector. In airliners, some of the automatic functions they may feature depend on the according system being active. That is also true for the autobrakes, which you find on big airliners, autospoilers. However, manual intervention (brakes, reverses, spoilers) often immediately end the auto-modes as described.

Quote:
The good thing is, I did it completely by ILS because I think Visibillity was 1-3 miles at sea level. And I didnt cheat
Practive leads to routine, routine leads to mastery.
Old 01-26-13, 06:24 AM   #89
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Oh, and it takes (me at least) a real long time to load, but it is worth the wait.
When I replace the textures currently saved in FSX, that takes two mionutes or so, yes. But it should not effect the loading of a flight in FSX!?

I would not use REX to launch FSX, since I found no way back then to get FSX started via REX with an external frame limiter. I start FSX via that frame limiter.

The REX textures I replace every two flights or so, and ocean settings and coral reefs I exclude anyway, saving these every time indeeds adds another big heap of time to the process.
Old 01-26-13, 07:54 AM   #90
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Yes, yes, and thrice yes! It looks better, sky looks better, sun looks better, water looks better, clouds look better, dusk and dawn look amazing!

It's relatively expensive but looks fantastic, it can be a frame hitter though but I think you'll be ok now you've sorted that issue out.

How bad of a frame hitter do you think?

And what kind of frames are you getting with what type of system?

Im definately thinking about buying it.