SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-17, 02:41 PM   #5341
vmialpha454
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

I'll keep an eye out and do as you suggest, RR.
vmialpha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 10:18 AM   #5342
vmialpha454
Seaman

My apologies if this has already been addressed (only to page 70 of the thread so far) but Propbeanie, did you ever figure out why your command bar was going away? I thought maybe you had inadvertently unlocked it using the little red switch in the bottom left corner? That makes the bar disappear.

Also, last night I think I encountered one of the sound bugs you guys were trying to fix. The one that sounds like someone beating on a pipe? I was in a Balao off Japan in 1943. Dropped out of time compression to a pause, then the sound began. I was able to get it to go away by ramping up the tc again and then dropping back to real time.
Old 09-27-17, 10:49 AM   #5343
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

No, vmialpha454, I had cross-contaminated the game. It was "disappearing" with the lock set to supposedly keep it on the screen. What we have found (well, me anyway - everybody else probably already knew this) is that it is very important to clear the Save folder ("My Documents / SH4" in a Stock install) anytime you are changing versions of a mod. You don't even have to load an old Save for it to happen. You can end up "cross-contaminating" the whole game inadvertently by just playing it with a Saved game from a different mod or version still in the Save folder. Our next update will probably require a fresh install of SH4, since there are so many changes coming. Definitely something to look out for, and makes reading the ReadMe stuff for a mod very important to me now...

Now, as to "The Sound"... this is scary... at the 50 second mark in this video, is that what you're hearing?

If so, you should not be able to get that sound... in theory, anyway... Do you have any other mods added in, or have you altered any of the files yourself? Look in your Game / Data / Sound folder for the file "Submarine_CrashDive_INT.wav". It should be 14 seconds long time-wise, and 2.5 megabytes in size. If it's different, then we want to know which version of the mod are you playing - er, sorry, testing - and where did you get it from? We are currently using v0.63, available in the first post of this thread.

Now, if you are getting a different sound, and / or you are using v0.63, can you describe the circumstances? Can you reproduce it? The way we used to get that sound was from the last few bits of the "Submarine_CrashDive_INT.wav" file, which was the bell that clangs for the crash dive. The file was like 21 seconds long, which is too long of a WAV file for the game to use in that particular "sound effect" situation (others that long or longer are fine where they are, for the most part). Those last bits of the file would get "stuck" in the RAM, and when your boat crash dived and then used Time Compression (which alters the audio stream), that's when you would get "The Sound" when back at normal TC. One thing of it was that you could NOT get it to go away, unless you kept some TC on. Normal TC, and you heard "The Sound" ad infinitum ad nauseum, until you quit the scenario. Time Compression has been limited in the FotRSU mod for more reasons than just one, and some of the other sound issues have been minimized by doing this. So we would need as much detail as you can possibly remember from when you got the sound anomaly, please. This would include whether or not you have cleared your Save folder prior to activating the mod, and if not, what mod(s) did you have activated previously? If they've got a CrashDive sound file longer than 15-16 seconds, that could very well be the issue... maybe...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-27-17 at 11:15 AM. Reason: 5th grader spelling... sheesh.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 12:03 PM   #5344
vmialpha454
Seaman

No, it isnt the same sound. This sound is something like someone knocking on a table every two seconds or so. I wasn't sure, since until watching your video I had never heard "the sound." I was able to replicate it just now by ramping up t/c while submerged and pausing by hitting backspace, then returning to 1x by pressing the "+" button at the bottom right of the screen.

It may all be a moot point because I didn't know about the problems with the save folder until when RR mentioned it the other day. I haven't purged and reinstalled yet because I was trying to finish this patrol but I suppose I will go ahead and do that.

Sorry if my posts on this thread are getting annoying...
Old 09-27-17, 12:21 PM   #5345
propbeanie

Don't worry about purging just yet. Go ahead and finish what you're doing, and we'll try to reproduce the effect on our computers.

Just to clarify: It doesn't matter where you are, when it is, just submerge, take TC all the way up, and then hit the <Backspace> key to go to the "Pause", and then come back to 1x with the <+> key? You had previously stated that going back into TC and then dropping back down gets rid of it? Is that by pressing the <-> key, or the <Backspace> key? Or does it matter? How about how deep were you? Had you by chance done <Alt><Tab> out to the desktop at any time while playing the game?

No other mods, and v0.63, correct?

Edit: OK, I've tried a Porpoise and a Balao boat, and cannot get it to do it. I've tried regular dives to PD, regular dives to 120 and Crash Dive to 150. Time Compression before, after and during. In the Control Room and the Chart Room (which was a point I forgot to ask previously - which "room" are you in when it does the noise you're hearing?). All I can get is a "catch-up" of the crew chatter, and sound effects missed while in TC. The crew in the Control Room "disappears" at 8x, and TC there is limited to 32x. At the Chart, I go to 2048x, and do not get the sound like you do. If I'm missing a step for you to get it, let me know.

Also, this is NOT a bother. It's very helpful. Any little thing anybody finds, we want to stomp it into oblivion, eliminate it, or find the root cause...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-27-17 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Tried and tried - updated
Old 09-27-17, 12:38 PM   #5346
vmialpha454
Seaman

Depth was about 400 ft in a Balao. *edit*. It happened at periscope depth as well. No crash dive, just normal dive "D" key. I have only reproduced it in the one saved game where it happened. To get rid of the sound I upped t/c by using the "+" button on lower right of screen and then return to normal time with the ctrl + backspace shortcut.

Reinstalling now with purged saved game folder and will let you know if I can get it to happen again. Yes, running FOTRSU v0.63. No other mods enabled, but had rfb 2.0 and rsrdc enabled prior to loading FOTRSU.

Last edited by vmialpha454; 09-27-17 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 09-27-17, 02:04 PM   #5347
propbeanie

I've tried a few more times, and can't get it to do it. I also looked at RFB, and while the file is not the same, it doesn't have any strange sounds in it, no thunks and no dings. A few files, like the "Submarine_diesel_exterior.wav" and similar are on the long side, but I do not hear any tails that could cause an issue. RSRDC doesn't mess with sound.

Old 09-28-17, 02:26 PM   #5348
vmialpha454
Seaman

I suppose that was my first batch of mod soup. Since I have had a clean install I have been unable to replicate it. If I encounter again I will let you know. Sorry for the false alarm.
Old 09-28-17, 07:06 PM   #5349
propbeanie

Not a problem vmialpha454. Better to report to us so that we can try to replicate the issue, and it helps us with trouble-shooting techniques also. Everybody learns. Everybody, at least once, some of us so many times we lose count, will have mod soup of the undesired kind...

Old 09-29-17, 06:43 AM   #5350
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmialpha454 View Post
I suppose that was my first batch of mod soup. Since I have had a clean install I have been unable to replicate it. If I encounter again I will let you know. Sorry for the false alarm.
That's why the best version of SH4 to get is SH4 Gold, with no DRM, rather than the download version, which has DRM plus a two time use install key. I might have to reinstall twice a month, but not twice EVER! When you run out of install keys you have to beg to Ubi, explaining how you could have been so sinful.....it's a hassle.

The solution is the Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System, SH4CMS, which after clean install before you play, makes a pristine repository (ALA Linux!) of pure and honest game install files, write protected and locked down tight.

Then, when you get mod soup (it's really unavoidable) you uninstall your mods, fire up SH4CMS, restore your fresh install, reinstall the mods and most of the time you're back in business. Rarely, you might have to delete your \My Documents\SH4 savegames.

We have identified some discrepancies in the game directory name, one version installing into \Wolves of the Pacific and the other into \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific and I have to write a routine for user selection for that option, but as a workaround you can just make sure your game installation is in the directory name specified in the SH4CMS instructions.

Once I rebuild Monster (my Windows and Linux computer) I'll do some work on SH4CMS.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 06:27 PM   #5351
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default CTD (again) while firing bow torpedo

this one has me at a loss.
i re-installed 1.5 from CDROM. Reinstalled JSGME (soup mod fix).
Modded up the FOTRS ultimate set (see below).
started a US career in a Gato, Mid-1943, from Midway.
i get all the way to the Philippine Sea, sink a tanker with a stern tube, then line up another with a bow shot and {thud} CTD...module SHSim.act. very consistent too.
i am exasperated and i am out of beer.
any ideas? anyone? anyone?

Win7 - 8GB Ram - Dell XPS (tower)
SH4-1.5 CDROM - LAA enabled
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\SilentHunter4\MODS]

1_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.63_PublicBeta_EN
2_410 Rockin Robbins EZ Plot V2.0
3_Bigger Better Protractors
4_3000 Meter Bearing Tool (1920x)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 09:18 PM   #5352
propbeanie

That should be an OK combo... Let me load mine up here in a few and see what happens... Gato, mid-43, Midway, westward ho to the Philippine Sea. Do you happen to have the co-ordinates where you are, and you're shooting another shot at the same tanker, but using a bow tube? Does it matter which tube?

Old 10-04-17, 10:04 PM   #5353
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That should be an OK combo... Let me load mine up here in a few and see what happens... Gato, mid-43, Midway, westward ho to the Philippine Sea. Do you happen to have the co-ordinates where you are, and you're shooting another shot at the same tanker, but using a bow tube? Does it matter which tube?
of the location i am not sure...i was headed to the east china sea for a 5-day cruise and i was most of the way there. i do not believe that will make a difference. the first ship sunk with one stern tube. the second ship, i fired tube 1 and as soon as i fired it, the periscope display hesitated and then dissolved to CTD. mark-14's set at high speed, although i do not think that is the issue either. good luck. time (2204) for a little reading and then bed. AMF.

LAA enabled
Old 10-04-17, 11:08 PM   #5354
propbeanie

My first mission out of Midway was to the Marshall Islands and await further orders, so I'm just now arriving there. Been playing pop-uppenDown with the airplanes in the area. I'm just South of Kwajalein, and Crash Dived for about the 8th time this day, and it's not quite 1330 Pearl time... - I'm over a day's journey from my "rendezvous" for further instructions, so I'll probably be after 1100 hours EDST tomorrow ( ) before I get back to this, and then head on over toward the East China Sea, and shoot at something in the Philippine Sea, if not before... I've only found one vessel thus far, and it was anchored in very shallow water, too far to shoot at safely and get away from these pesky flyboys... What I wanna know, is who put all these planes in here?...

Little side note (aka: tidbit of information) for FotRSU playing... RR uses like a 6nm circle for his popuppendown game, but I've started using a 10.2nm circle, so that I'm under and not seen by the buggabooze, and then I come up after 20, and can usually get about another 30 in on the surface... makes for a long day, but I haven't been seen yet... at least, I don't ~think~ I have... no bomb drops, no little sub chasers yet knock-on-wood... Good night!

Edit: 1015 hours next day... OK, mark bonamer, while I haven't made it to the Philippine Sea yet, I am Northeast of Truk on my way from the Marshalls, traveling on about a 290 course, and now have 2 small merchants to my credit, both sunk with a single stern tube shot... Now, if I needed them to sink with one shot, they would not have gone down... anyway, for both of them, I did do a quick turn, aimed and shot with the bow tubes. Only on the first one did I still have a valid "target", but it got the "She's going down sir!" about 2 flashes after I shot the torp. The 2nd one gave me the "She's going down sir!" probably within 30 seconds of hitting it with the stern torp, but it did stay up long enough to get turned and shoot at it with #1. In both cases, the bow torp shots did hit their respective targets, with one exploding, and one a dud. No CTD. Both of these ships though were 'regular' merchants. A small composite and a small split superstructure, no tanker, nothing over 5k tons... I'll keep trying as I travel West-Northwest

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-05-17 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Targets hit
Old 10-05-17, 10:32 AM   #5355
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
My first mission out of Midway was to the Marshall Islands and await further orders, so I'm just now arriving there. Been playing pop-uppenDown with the airplanes in the area. I'm just South of Kwajalein, and Crash Dived for about the 8th time this day, and it's not quite 1330 Pearl time... - I'm over a day's journey from my "rendezvous" for further instructions, so I'll probably be after 1100 hours EDST tomorrow ( ) before I get back to this, and then head on over toward the East China Sea, and shoot at something in the Philippine Sea, if not before... I've only found one vessel thus far, and it was anchored in very shallow water, too far to shoot at safely and get away from these pesky flyboys... What I wanna know, is who put all these planes in here?...

Little side note (aka: tidbit of information) for FotRSU playing... RR uses like a 6nm circle for his popuppendown game, but I've started using a 10.2nm circle, so that I'm under and not seen by the buggabooze, and then I come up after 20, and can usually get about another 30 in on the surface... makes for a long day, but I haven't been seen yet... at least, I don't ~think~ I have... no bomb drops, no little sub chasers yet knock-on-wood... Good night!

Edit: 1015 hours next day... OK, mark bonamer, while I haven't made it to the Philippine Sea yet, I am Northeast of Truk on my way from the Marshalls, traveling on about a 290 course, and now have 2 small merchants to my credit, both sunk with a single stern tube shot... Now, if I needed them to sink with one shot, they would not have gone down... anyway, for both of them, I did do a quick turn, aimed and shot with the bow tubes. Only on the first one did I still have a valid "target", but it got the "She's going down sir!" about 2 flashes after I shot the torp. The 2nd one gave me the "She's going down sir!" probably within 30 seconds of hitting it with the stern torp, but it did stay up long enough to get turned and shoot at it with #1. In both cases, the bow torp shots did hit their respective targets, with one exploding, and one a dud. No CTD. Both of these ships though were 'regular' merchants. A small composite and a small split superstructure, no tanker, nothing over 5k tons... I'll keep trying as I travel West-Northwest
well, then you can stop. i do not think the area or the target is a factor. i say that because i attempted to re-create this multiple times and the CTD occurred as soon as i fired a forward torpedo at any target at any location.

well.....crap. WTF. this makes my head hurt.

thank you very much for your time and effort.

LAA enabled