SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-17, 03:40 PM   #4636
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Yippee I've been waiting patiently for this one.
Old 06-11-17, 04:18 PM   #4637
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Announcing!

100 Fall of the Rising Sun v0.60 PublicBeta EN
New update, as of 6/10/2017. Two new team members, ETR(3)SS and Keltos01, enemy subs, radar goodness, sonar goodness, reworked sounds, ship tweaks, more changes between versions than ever before! ENJOY!

Very nice!
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 04:49 PM   #4638
k9catforce
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 28

Great Job FOTRS team!
k9catforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 04:52 PM   #4639
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Announcing!

100 Fall of the Rising Sun v0.60 PublicBeta EN
New update, as of 6/10/2017. Two new team members, ETR(3)SS and Keltos01, enemy subs, radar goodness, sonar goodness, reworked sounds, ship tweaks, more changes between versions than ever before! ENJOY!
With all the changes, especially to Type= lines for the CL, CA and BB, be sure and let us know ASAP of any issues with ships, including your location, the date, and direction that the issue was traveling please, so we can track them down. We are reasonably certain that we got all of the CL, CA & BB set fine. I'm not confidant about the Catapult ship, and the Seaplane Tender...

Also, be sure you have an empty Save folder for FotRSU when you start this - delete what you have in it, mostly due to that Type= mass change, but also for the sonar and radar changes. If you happen to load a save from v56, your game ~WILL~ crash, with a 99.9% level of certainty...

btw - does anybody know Morse Code?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 07:20 PM   #4640
propbeanie

OK, first pictures of v0.60 on my computer... and I don't know why I didn't think to snap a few screenies sooner, but oh well.

I had dealt with one of the AI Sen Toku subs that s7rikeback had been working on the other day, that the shtinking this has too much surface fire-power to even begin to think about engaging one on the surface, so when I get a "Submarine spotted" warning exactly in the patrol zone I had set up south of Unalaska, I was thinking "finally!" to myself. Then I looked at it in the periscope, and it's a Sen Toku, the biggest, baddest submarine the Japanese made... So I dove to PD and proceeded to lose it. Turns out that there is the occasional zig or zag in their routes. This dude had a plane, which I took a screenshot of, and then proceeded to forget to process it... It does not show on radar (I'm in an S-18 boat), nor does it have a sonar "footprint". We'll have to look into that. Also, the Date is April 19, 1942, and it's a Sen Toku, so we'll have to get into the availability dates, but anyway, after re-surfacing and much wrangling and finagling, I did finally manage to get myself into a reasonable firing position, though I was at 60 degrees, not 90... But the dudes had turned towards me, so it was now, or much much later, so I let fly from 800 yards. All three shot did impact, and I got a dud and two explosions, of which, this is #3 hitting:

like I said, mostly dumb luck just to hit 'em. Next shot is the damage done. Now, this is not a "natural" picture, I brightened this up quite a bit, and I'm "underwater", but you can see where there were two explosions, and damge is visible... I just wish this game could show that "dud" sticking in the side of their boat, but oh well...

It just kind of cracks me up that there's just been two explosions on board, both under the conn, their boat is submerging without IJN intervention, and the forward gun crew is still faithfully manning their battle station...

Here's our after-action report. Looks fine, but there isn't a "Sunk Ship" icon on the Navigation Chart. I don't know if it actually counts toward renown... I thought that it would have been nice if I would have compared my before and after renown total... Next time.

... and here we are coming back into Dutch Harbor, on a glorious morning... I do have to check the turn-around time in the campaign, because this is April 21, and our next mission is showing I'm on the boat on April 23... 'course, we were only out 7 days on the first patrol, so I'm sure ComSubPac doesn't like us doing all this "testing"...

Old 06-11-17, 11:08 PM   #4641
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
With all the changes, especially to Type= lines for the CL, CA and BB, be sure and let us know ASAP of any issues with ships, including your location, the date, and direction that the issue was traveling please, so we can track them down. We are reasonably certain that we got all of the CL, CA & BB set fine. I'm not confidant about the Catapult ship, and the Seaplane Tender...

Also, be sure you have an empty Save folder for FotRSU when you start this - delete what you have in it, mostly due to that Type= mass change, but also for the sonar and radar changes. If you happen to load a save from v56, your game ~WILL~ crash, with a 99.9% level of certainty...

btw - does anybody know Morse Code?

Did you gets get enemy submarines to show up on radar?

Also, how are handling the traffic? Some point when finished with current projects if would like I'd like to do an upgradd to RSRD focused on FOTRS. For the traffic only .
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 05:48 AM   #4642
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Great work being done here

I've been playing SH4 with TMO/RSRD/OTC for years as my mainstay game play. I finally jumped into the deep end of the pool with FOTRSU and I'm glad I have.

I did make one small modification to the cameras.dat file in order to get back the TMO own ship external view and one small modification to the Commands.cfg to use the backspace as a return to x1 game speed. I like those TMO bits of gameplay.

I am very pleased to see that the OTC Nomograph version has been included in FOTRSU beta 6. (edited)

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 06-12-17 at 06:38 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 06:17 AM   #4643
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I was very pleased to see that the RFB/TMO Nomograph has been included in FOTRSU beta 6.
FOr me, it is difficult to read with the drop shadow on the nomograph. I prefer the OTC version.
Old 06-12-17, 06:37 AM   #4644
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
FOr me, it is difficult to read with the drop shadow on the nomograph. I prefer the OTC version.
Oops! I meant the OTC version...

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 06:48 AM   #4645
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Be on the lookout for the Kongo. Actually, if you spot it I understand the game will crash regardless of how the Kongo is spotted. A fix is on the way and it will be v.61. S7rikeback will be coming up with some enemy sub tweaks too for that version. Basically, v.61 will just be a minor (unless you encounter the Kongo) bugfix.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 07:49 AM   #4646
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Congratulations team, we're over 1000 downloads at 1,095. It's daunting to compare our numbers with the 14,000 plus of TMO 2.5, but remember, that mod had a long history and was released in the glory days of SH4. We're far beyond that, and 1,095 is a respectable number.

We've already passed all previous versions of FOTRS, FOTRS 2.0 with 751, FOTRS 1.3 with 423 and FOTRS 1.2 with 517 all-time downloads. They also were released during the heyday of Silent Hunter 4.

A good standard of comparison would be that on 10/19/2015 I released RFB 2.0 with the patch included and it has 1,002 downloads in 20 months.

We'll let FOTRSU v.60 and .61 sit for a bit and then what do you say we take stock to see about releasing v1.0 and working on plugins? ETR(3)SS and Keltos01, how much more do we need to tweak enemy subs and CapnScurvy, what do you have on the table that we have to mix in. And of course, the Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse, any campaign or ship issues that remain?

Finally, player suggestions are welcome as we take stock of where we are and want to make sure that the mod is at a good parking spot for the next step in revolutionizing Silent Hunter 4!
Old 06-12-17, 08:07 AM   #4647
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

As I mix all these ingredients in the FOTRSU cauldron, I can't help but think it would be a stroke of evil genius to compress it all into a .tar.bz2 archive instead of .7z. Wouldn't all these primitive Windows victims just LOVE it?

Ubuntu Linux. It's great!
Old 06-12-17, 08:07 AM   #4648
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Did you gets get enemy submarines to show up on radar?

Also, how are handling the traffic? Some point when finished with current projects if would like I'd like to do an upgradd to RSRD focused on FOTRS. For the traffic only .
When I encountered the Sen Toku, I was in an S18, no radar (other than the SH4 air-search "chart" one). No airplanes encountered, that I know of. However, I encountered a sub in strikeback's first work-up for the AI subs, and no radar contact while I was in a late-44 model Gato with full-complement of gear. Sight contact only. We'll have to put CapnScurvy on the issue, if it's still there. I'm sure the Capn loves me volunteering him for all this "detail" work...

The ship's calls are back to basically "stock-FotRS", with a BB being Type=11, other than the Yamato and Iowa Classes being Type=20 for "Super" BB. The CL are back to Type=6 and the CA back to Type=7. The Catapult ship went back to Type=102, and the Chitose stayed at Type=8... I think that was all the changes... maybe... other than that confounded Kongo slipping through our clutches - for now...

You've got a lot of work if you do an RSRDC that sits on top of FotRSU, in that lurker didn't have all these vessels available for use back when. Lots more warships and merchants. Almost all of the Task Forces could be altered for their line-ups of ships... I changed a few things for the Alaskan Campaign, but there's a ~lot~ more to do, just up in the Northern latitudes. There are quite a few more groups in the lower climes... add to that, the AI subs... wow. You'll be doing lots of research...

I cannot imagine a mod like that not being well-received though.

Old 06-12-17, 08:18 AM   #4649
propbeanie

Quote:
Congratulations team...

We'll let FOTRSU v.60 and .61 sit for a bit and then what do you say we take stock to see about releasing v1.0 and working on plugins? ETR(3)SS and Keltos01, how much more do we need to tweak enemy subs and CapnScurvy, what do you have on the table that we have to mix in. And of course, the Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse, any campaign or ship issues that remain? ...
I don't know if cdrsubron7 wants to add anything more to the campaign, but I do want to attempt some "balancing" of the traffic, but user input is definitely needed. I'm almost certain we've got too much "traffic" in the Kurile to Kiska area, and maybe even East of there toward Kodiak for the Midway attack time frame. I do have Japanese subs in the Umnak area, pre-attack time, along with some floatie planes flying around, doing recon flights, and they will attack a surfaced US Sugar boat if you don't get underwater before they see you... but I do have to edit those also. Most of the AI sub calls in the Campaign files are specific to a particular boat. If we make them GENERIC, then you never know what you'll fiind... but you definitely don't want to tangle with a Sen Toku, or even some of the C and A vessels that have multiple deck guns, or a dual-barreled deck gun they "kill" you ~fast~... We do have a couple other "surprises" for folks, ~if~ our idea works... No more lolly-gagging about straight-line running for home though, I'll say that much...

Quote:
As I mix all these ingredients in the FOTRSU cauldron, I can't help but think it would be a stroke of evil genius to compress it all into a .tar.bz2 archive instead of .7z. Wouldn't all these primitive Windows victims just LOVE it?

Ubuntu Linux. It's great!
Would it make for a smaller download?... I'm working in my Ubuntu now...

Old 06-12-17, 09:35 AM   #4650
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I just realised that keltos01 was not included in my Welcome to the Ultimate Team a few minutes earlier in Privite Messaging!!!!

Welcome Keltos01!!

Then I notice this report from Subsim:

keltos01 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Can't send a PM "Welcome" when the mail box is overflowing.

================

Regarding the Kongo in v0.60........

My fault!

I was still trying to get a ship to spawn planes.

I had the Kongo as my guinea pig, I forgot to put the Sea/Kongo.cfg "Type" back to its original!! I had tried just about everything......even had a NCV_Kongo, trying to see if the CV naming in its Sea folder made a difference........it didn't.

Although there has to be some sort of designation that's made besides the "Type" to make an object spawn planes as an air base??! Just changing "Type" and putting the planes into the .cfg file isn't enough.

===============

Quote:
I don't know if cdrsubron7 wants to add anything more to the campaign, but I do want to attempt some "balancing" of the traffic, but user input is definitely needed.
Good, I'm not done with the Campaign files either.

I'm not done with fixing the Hydrophone for all ships...no matter what the target speed. My plan is a big one, in that the Campaign .mis files will need to be changed to match the ships capabilities. I'm going to try a small test before I get into the specifics, but I'm sure I'm going to need some help in looking into every .mis file to correct this deafness that Hydrophone uses have when a ship travels below half its rated MaxSpeed.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote