SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-12-17, 08:47 AM   #5386
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As I suspected, I didn't think you'd see a change with de-activating the mods you have, since none of them mess with the menu_1024_768.ini or sensor files (directly). What I'm wondering now is about "dates of availability" in the game's settings files. What boat did you say you had torpedobait? How 'bout you, mark bonamer?

If you both would, try a Single Mission late in the war, though I don't know why it would work differently. We did have issues with one of the subs in CMN like that though, where it would be missing its conning tower in Single Missions, but be fine in the Campaign. Very odd. Do like "SM02 Palawan Passage", a Gato in October 1944 with a July 1944 config date, or "SM10 Last targets" with a Balao in February, 1945 and a November of 1944 config date. The "SM05 Battle off Samar" is from late October of 1944 in a Balao with a config date of July 1944. I'm not sure if any of cdrsubron7's missions are from later in the war or not. I'll go look at them next. It might be easier to "make your own", or if you want to wait a bit, I'll do one really late, with like the Shinano still alive in mid-45 or something... Maybe the Yamato with the same timeframe...
My boat was the Balao. I looked in the single missions but found only one in 1945 with a Balao, but it had an SJ-1 Improved. If one can add or update that radar I don't know how, nor do I know how to create a custom mission.

I did go back one patrol to the Balao with the SJ-1 radar. All 3 buttons worked just fine, including the On/Off. The only time that doessn't work is on the new Periscope radar.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 09:38 PM   #5387
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, try this: Download this SingleMission file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByH...ew?usp=sharing

Which is "PeriRadarTest.7z" with a Balao boat sitting facing North 000, and the Yamato on a 090 course going East from about 32nm West of you, and I forget how far North... It is March 15, 1945, off the coast of Baja, you are at periscope depth and stopped. Do like 1/3 ahead and you should pick them up before too long. I actually got a sonar report first, then right after that, the radar picked her up... Then it started to fall apart as I tried a few different things, such as TC, coming up to radar depth, going to 200 foot, and coming back up to radar depth... No more working radar... However, when I raised ~BOTH~ periscopes, I got the radar back "working", doing its sweep, but it would not pick the Yamato up again... Got a visual instead a while later. Closed for an attack, shot the 6 bow tubes at her, and after the first impact, the sound went all distorted and fuzzy. Not loud, thankfully, but very distorted to where I could not understand a word the crew said...

Now, this particular computer is due for an "overhaul" of the SH4 installs... However, the circumstances are similar to what you describe. Let me know if it is similar for you... If you should happen to accept this impossible mission Jim, and you or any of your crew are captured, injured or killed, the President will disavow your very existence. This SingleMission file should self-destruct as soon as we're finished this testing period, but we do not have the technology, and you will have to do it yourself... that is all. - for now.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-12-17 at 09:49 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 10:16 AM   #5388
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Well, try this: Download this SingleMission file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByH...ew?usp=sharing

Which is "PeriRadarTest.7z" with a Balao boat sitting facing North 000, and the Yamato on a 090 course going East from about 32nm West of you, and I forget how far North... It is March 15, 1945, off the coast of Baja, you are at periscope depth and stopped. Do like 1/3 ahead and you should pick them up before too long. I actually got a sonar report first, then right after that, the radar picked her up... Then it started to fall apart as I tried a few different things, such as TC, coming up to radar depth, going to 200 foot, and coming back up to radar depth... No more working radar... However, when I raised ~BOTH~ periscopes, I got the radar back "working", doing its sweep, but it would not pick the Yamato up again... Got a visual instead a while later. Closed for an attack, shot the 6 bow tubes at her, and after the first impact, the sound went all distorted and fuzzy. Not loud, thankfully, but very distorted to where I could not understand a word the crew said...

Now, this particular computer is due for an "overhaul" of the SH4 installs... However, the circumstances are similar to what you describe. Let me know if it is similar for you... If you should happen to accept this impossible mission Jim, and you or any of your crew are captured, injured or killed, the President will disavow your very existence. This SingleMission file should self-destruct as soon as we're finished this testing period, but we do not have the technology, and you will have to do it yourself... that is all. - for now.
This is going to drive you NUTS! I loaded the test mission by unzipping it straight into my Single Mission folder in my current installation. Everything worked perfectly!

The interception was as advertized. First came the sonar contact (which I was able to pick up manually before the operator's announcement. Then, with BOTH periscopes raised, I got a radar contact on the same bearing. I tested all buttons and they worked, including the radar's on/off switch.

Next I lowered the attack scope leaving the Observation (Night) scope up. Radar continued to work. I lowered that one and the radar went off, and came back on when the scope went back up. The map contacts were intermittent until the target was inside around 8,000 yards.

From that point fearing discovery of the raised scope, I lowered it and proceeded perpendicular to the target's track until I was about 700 yards off the track, and then waited. When the target bearing reached 320 degrees, I fired the two electric torps, and when the first one hit, the next four Mark 14's. I turned away at high speed and repeated the firing sequence with the stern tubes. Success! All 10 hit, and the 10th one put it down. No sound problems. No visual problems. No radar problems.

Now, can I just load the DATA version in your single mission to the data version in my live game? Wouldn't that incorporate the changes you made for the Single Mission?
I tried to upload (cut and paste) a small JPG image, but it won't take. I tried it as an attachment, but the image is only a thumbnail. Oh, well.

Old 10-13-17, 10:31 AM   #5389
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Default Death of the Yamato!

Success, using Propbeanie's Test Single Mission for the Periscope Mounted Radar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2017-10-13_10.54.47_294.jpg (12.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 10-13-17, 10:33 AM   #5390
propbeanie

Did you do any Time Compression? Did you dive deep and come back up? I'm wondering about that TC again... I'll load the mission up on my other computer and try it here in a bit...

Edit 1330: Well, I've done the same mission on the i3 laptop, and while everything appears to function as intended, I never did pick up the Yamato on radar. Got the sonar at about 1030 mark, 30 minutes in, but never got a radar, and then I got the visual from just over the 13k range... No sound issues though this time... I'll try again on the quad core after I re-install tonight...

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-13-17 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-14-17, 09:11 AM   #5391
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Did you do any Time Compression? Did you dive deep and come back up? I'm wondering about that TC again... I'll load the mission up on my other computer and try it here in a bit...

Edit 1330: Well, I've done the same mission on the i3 laptop, and while everything appears to function as intended, I never did pick up the Yamato on radar. Got the sonar at about 1030 mark, 30 minutes in, but never got a radar, and then I got the visual from just over the 13k range... No sound issues though this time... I'll try again on the quad core after I re-install tonight...
Did not do a deep dive, but I did use TC. Had no impact that I could see. I could clearly see the blip on the radar screen, but the map contact icon was intermittent at best. No problem there, since the radar operator had called out the contact and I was able to establish its track well enough to move in to a proper range. Man, when that baby blows, she blows big!

Old 10-14-17, 09:30 AM   #5392
propbeanie

The "blip" shows when the radar scans that particular area, and then fades. if it misses on the next pass, then the blip will "go out". Comes back on when contact is re-established. I do not get the same behavior two times in a row on my tries... Tube failure in the radar console?... - We'll have to wait for CapnScurvy to comment. He's busy with some aspects of the game right now, and will be along when he gets a chance.

Old 10-14-17, 10:04 AM   #5393
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Update on my computer situation. With the uptiick in RAM prices it may be close to Thanksgiving before I can play Silent Hunter 4 again. It will be worth the wait.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 11:55 AM   #5394
propbeanie

Are the withdrawal symptoms bad, or at least manageable?...

Old 10-14-17, 12:54 PM   #5395
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default Radar Blip and Sonor

Same condition' s are happening to me . I thought one contact was a sub it kept showing up and than disappearing . Now the Sonor arrow pointer does not rotate -- Nothing I have done except play .

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 03:06 PM   #5396
propbeanie

The radar blips will fade between sweeps, and disappear completely at times. Your sonar lines will do likewise. Once visual is established, the others disappear. As for the sonar head not rotating, have you gone to the station yourself and rotated it by hand? Or are you referring to that you've told the sonar man to "follow the nearest contact" (or whatever), and each time you go back to the sonar station, the head is pointed to like 347 and isn't moving? It does that as you come into the station, like the radar quits with its rotation when yougo to "look" at the screen. Very irritating.

What boat are you in kimuraijn, what is "home" port, and what is the date? We do have another little "fix" for the dates, so we might try that with you guys and see if that makes a difference, though I doubt it...

Old 10-14-17, 04:46 PM   #5397
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Quote:
The radar blips will fade between sweeps, and disappear completely at times. Your sonar lines will do likewise. Once visual is established, the others disappear. As for the sonar head not rotating, have you gone to the station yourself and rotated it by hand? Or are you referring to that you've told the sonar man to "follow the nearest contact" (or whatever), and each time you go back to the sonar station, the head is pointed to like 347 and isn't moving? It does that as you come into the station, like the radar quits with its rotation when yougo to "look" at the screen. Very irritating.

What boat are you in kimuraijn, what is "home" port, and what is the date? We do have another little "fix" for the dates, so we might try that with you guys and see if that makes a difference, though I doubt it...

In the last saved game I had the ability to rotate the handle and was able to see the pointer move on the dial . when the handle is moved I get no indication on the light that shows I have a contact -- Pointed at the contact . the radar is is missing blips even after I have seen the contact .. this is not as consistent as before . Iam playing the USS Thresser ss 200 and home base is Perth AUStrlia .. July 42

Old 10-14-17, 05:30 PM   #5398
propbeanie

As it stands now, if a ship is traveling appoximately 1/2 of its rated top speed, then you won't be able to "see" them on sonar yourself. Your sonarman does, but not you. CapnScurvy is working on a solution, and there ~might~ be a fix, but it may well be complicated. We'll see. Another thing to remember about this particular issue is that as a ship turns, it loses speed, scrubbing 3-5 knots off of its speed. If you ever depart from Pearl and see the inbound ships, some of them are set to 12 knots, just so that they'll traverse on through all the curves in the harbor.

As for the radar, you don't get the periscope mounted one until late in the war. The "contacts" you see via radar flash on and off to simulate the rotation of the antennae. Once you make "visual" contact, your radar and / or sonar no longer show the contact - not needed (supposedly).

Old 10-15-17, 06:16 AM   #5399
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Default reply

Quote:
As it stands now, if a ship is traveling appoximately 1/2 of its rated top speed, then you won't be able to "see" them on sonar yourself. Your sonarman does, but not you. CapnScurvy is working on a solution, and there ~might~ be a fix, but it may well be complicated. We'll see. Another thing to remember about this particular issue is that as a ship turns, it loses speed, scrubbing 3-5 knots off of its speed. If you ever depart from Pearl and see the inbound ships, some of them are set to 12 knots, just so that they'll traverse on through all the curves in the harbor.

As for the radar, you don't get the periscope mounted one until late in the war. The "contacts" you see via radar flash on and off to simulate the rotation of the antennae. Once you make "visual" contact, your radar and / or sonar no longer show the contact - not needed (supposedly).

OFC the radar will rotate and the blips will disappear when the arc of the beam is away from the contact . what My Issue was that I could not get the sonor to rotate the pointer as I sat in front of the interface , however that is not an issue ant longer because I figured out that the saved game is corrupted. Keep smiling

Old 10-15-17, 07:18 AM   #5400
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
i agree with THEBERBSTER. Pause the game. Shell out to Windows and do what you need to do and then come back to the game. i have not experienced those types of problems since i learned to pause-before-shelling-to-windows.

good luck and good hunting!
Long time ago... but I'm not sure if pausing before switching to Windows solves the problem.
I've tried that many times and experienced frequent CO2 problems.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote