SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-10, 05:50 AM   #1141
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

There's no batch function. I've never been able to due to time...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:54 AM   #1142
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Hi skwasjer,

Some hours ago I was moding sh3.sdl with last S3D and noted that when i exit the game I got an error (winxp point to sound.act). After some hours trying just small modifications on any sh3.sdl using S3d (just to try to found the bug) i noticed that the problem just go away when i deleted the first entry that S3d put on the sh3.sdl, the one that s3d uses to identify it´s version, etc.

I tried with all my sh3 installations and even with stock unmodded sh3 and the problem and the solution was always the same: the problem remains on the first entry forced by s3d. Note that the problem is present even if you load the game and just exit, without made anything more. It also happens after I played a SM. The interesting is that I didn´t noticed this problem before.

Any idea?

Cheers,

Rubini.
Old 03-04-10, 04:58 AM   #1143
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default flipped faces

do you know why there always seem to be flipped faces when importing to and from 3D Studio Max into S3D and vice-versa ?

more than annoying...

regards

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 05:18 AM   #1144
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Never had that problem. How are you exporting the models? Have you got any 'optimize' options turned on? Try turning them off.
Old 03-09-10, 04:49 AM   #1145
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

we definitely need s5d...please consider to continue work, skwas.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 08:15 AM   #1146
skwasjer
The Old Man

No, no and no. Not going to happen. Unless you get all 10000 users - who are eagerly using my 2-year work for free - to pay up 20 EUR each, so I can make it my dayjob.

You know, since my last release (summer 2009), where I more directly asked for donations through a 'nag' screen at first launch of S3D, only 4 people decided to do so (that's 9 months ago). It's not so much I want the money, but it is an indication to me of how unappreciative many users are... I am not wasting more time on this project, especially with Ubisoft screwing up with SH5/DRM.
Old 03-09-10, 09:45 AM   #1147
Mikhayl
Captain

Downloads: 64

I made great use of S3D, I did donate 15 or 20€ sometime in 2008 I think. Disappointed almost nobody bothered, without this tool the amount of "game changing" mods wouldn't even near 1/10th of what it is today, every mod user should consider it, not just S3D users.

Yet people rush to shell 50$/50€/28£ for some unfinished crippleware with gimmicky modding tools that lack crucial functionality. When people realize that they'll have to shell $12.500 to have a real modding tool for SH5 maybe they'll understand the gift that S3D is
Mikhayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 10:51 AM   #1148
Smartcom5
Seaman

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
[…]
You know, since my last release (summer 2009), where I more directly asked for donations through a 'nag' screen at first launch of S3D, only 4 people decided to do so (that's 9 months ago). It's not so much I want the money, but it is an indication to me of how unappreciative many users are...
[…]
For sure, it's a real shame … I fully support and understand your attitude since i'm also a [let's say] spare-time coder.
Besides that, S3D actually reads almost every kind of files [since SH V is actually SH IV; on filetypes and files for sure], so i don't know why you should renew S3D or implement some new fileformats or something similar …

In this sense

Smartcom
Smartcom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 12:30 PM   #1149
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281
I'm not a user of S3D but I recognize that all of the mods I enjoy wouldn't be possible without all of your hard work. I just donated 20 Euros ($28 for us in the US) and I hope some others will see this and do likewise.

Here's a link to access the PayPal donation box:
http://sh4.skwas.net/downloads.aspx

Thanks again, Skwas.
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 01:22 PM   #1150
urfisch
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
No, no and no. Not going to happen. Unless you get all 10000 users - who are eagerly using my 2-year work for free - to pay up 20 EUR each, so I can make it my dayjob.

You know, since my last release (summer 2009), where I more directly asked for donations through a 'nag' screen at first launch of S3D, only 4 people decided to do so (that's 9 months ago). It's not so much I want the money, but it is an indication to me of how unappreciative many users are... I am not wasting more time on this project, especially with Ubisoft screwing up with SH5/DRM.
10.000 people should pay 20 eur each? ...

seriuosly. i understand you very much. what sum you want to be reached...we might get this solved, with a donations run. please tell me...as we modders in sh5 need this tool! 500 euros? 1000 euros? lets get this started...

it really pisses me off, we need to mod this game to a state, that is acceptable - i know. but you must admit, the graphics and the potential of this game is enormous...things are possible, we ever dreamed of in sh3 and sh4.

so, which amount would you make continuing work. its not, you would have to rewrite the whole program, dude. there are things need to be changed...but this might be not that complex. but tell me...and leave an amount, we need to get you back to work.

best regards
the fish

Old 03-09-10, 01:23 PM   #1151
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks vp, appreciate it.

My last post wasn't really a cry to get people to donate though. I never really opened my mouth about it (except for the nag screen), I'm fine with it, what I've done and the fact it's free. But that's that. I'm finished it. It's a bit annoying that I 'should just make it compatible' without people really realizing how much time was involved in making S3D.

I just don't have much free time to continue making it compatible with SH5. There's new controllers, new file-formats, and especially the .gr2 fileformat is a pain in the ass (proprietary undisclosed file format). Basically, I'll be looking at another 6 months to a year of development on several nights a week. I don't have the energy to do that anymore. I have to make a living too huh?

That said, S3D remains free in it's current form as long as it doesn't cost me money (it has cost me some dev-tools, and now only hosting), and anyone willing to donate is free to do so. No obligations. Just don't ask for more :p
Old 03-09-10, 01:33 PM   #1152
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
10.000 people should pay 20 eur each? ...

seriuosly. i understand you very much. what sum you want to be reached...we might get this solved, with a donations run. please tell me...as we modders in sh5 need this tool! 500 euros? 1000 euros? lets get this started...

it really pisses me off, we need to mod this game to a state, that is acceptable - i know. but you must admit, the graphics and the potential of this game is enormous...things are possible, we ever dreamed of in sh3 and sh4.

so, which amount would you make continuing work. its not, you would have to rewrite the whole program, dude. there are things need to be changed...but this might be not that complex. but tell me...and leave an amount, we need to get you back to work.

best regards
the fish
I totally agree that SH5 has great potential, but 1000 euro's = 2 days work for me (I am freelancer with lots of overhead in software tools, etc). In 2 days, I can get nothing done.

Of course 200K is a bit over the top, I was merely saying that 10000 people use S3D and 20 euro's isn't exactly much for what you get is it? But again, I was just making a point.

But calculate with me: S3D has taken me roughly 1500 hours... This is just a rough guess. At a VERY low rate of 20-30 euro an hour, that adds up to 30K-45K. So basically I lost 45K minus some 500 euro's in donation - in total - while making S3D... Think about that, each time you start it up.

You may think it's not alot of work to make it compatible with SH5, but I can tell you it is. But urfisch, really, the point isn't the cash. I just don't have much time. I'm seperated since one year, have a son to raise, looking for a new house and have two businesses to run... I'm kindof tied up you see
Old 03-09-10, 02:32 PM   #1153
urfisch
Sea Lord

i invested round about 500 hours (with learning stuff, etc.) in modding sh3 and 400 hours in subwolves...and also never had a cent out of it. mostly this is modding for...doing things for free, right? and personally i think every time about the work the modders have done, when using such stuff...i am also a modder!

i also worked as a freelancer and know exactly what you are talking about. even i have no son and no house to look for...etc. but please consider to take a look at the file structure of "baza_fx.dat" this is the effects file and i the effects extremly need to be modified! as i know how this stuff works with the particles, this is my mod wish. but i cannot do anything without an editor to change the controllers, add new ones, etc.

and your tool reads the data nicely, but only to the controllers. you will see what i mean, when opening it. instead of controller properties, theres just "data type byte" written...as s3d dont knows the whole file structure of the new dats.

just take a look and define some kind of time you would need...is that possible?

Old 03-10-10, 07:47 AM   #1154
skwasjer
The Old Man

Seeing that you need S3D so badly, you would not have been able to do your 500hr modwork if I hadn't done the gruntwork...

Besides, it's not the point, I never asked for money, prosecuted people that 'forgot' to include a credit notice to S3D (while creditting everyone else), nor am I an attention whore seeking praise of the entirety of the SH-community. S3D is what it is, free and finished. I have no further interest in working on S3D, and I have reached a point that my time isn't worth it any more:
Quote:
But urfisch, really, the point isn't the cash. I just don't have much time. I'm seperated since one year, have a son to raise, looking for a new house and have two businesses to run... I'm kindof tied up you see
Old 03-10-10, 08:53 AM   #1155
urfisch
Sea Lord

yes, your tool was very handy, even most of my time i edited 3d and 2d data without s3d, just used it for import. later i used it quite often to modify the particle effects.

YES, YOUR TOOLS WAS THE CLUE FOR MODDING of SH3! And it should be the clue for sh5 as well...but...

ok, understand. if pleasing and the perspective to get you working againg with a donations run is not that interesting for you...ok. you have no time...what a pitty!

but i have a last wish, as you are my last hope - even the devs can not help me. please do not deny...

please look into the baza_fx.dat with your tool and tell me, how much work it would be for a guy, who can code, to modify the tool - so it can read/save the [byte] phrases (especially particle controllers!) well again. my feeling is, that it cant be so much additional work, as 90% of the dat is read properly!

but i am no expert, you are.