SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-18, 07:13 PM   #106
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

^ nah; the music's stopped
Quote:
Originally Posted by American pie
o come on Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
Jack Flash sat on a candlestick
'Cause fire is the devil's only friend

Oh and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage
No angel born in Hell
Could break that Satan's spell

And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite
I saw Satan laughing with delight
The day the music died
He was singin'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-18, 10:39 AM   #107
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

ON MY COMPUTER THIS AM:
Quote:
The Camp Fire in Butte County is sending smoke into Napa County and the surrounding Bay Area. The air quality conditions have ranged in Napa County from unhealthy for sensitive groups (orange) to unhealthy (red), with southern parts of the county having very unhealthy (purple) air quality since November 8, 2018. Air quality in most of Napa County is projected to be in the unhealthy to very unhealthy range (red to purple) at least through Sunday, November 18th. Children, the elderly and those with respiratory conditions such as asthma, lung disease and heart disease are most at risk for harmful impacts and are considered sensitive groups. The most important protective action is to remain indoors. Visit www .countyofnapa.org for more information.
SO, IT'S OFFICIAL; I'LL NOT MOW THE LAWN TODAY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 11-18-18, 11:02 AM   #108
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
Last news I heard is there are over a thousand people missing.
A lot of people just plain took off and said, "there is nothing left to come back for" Over 8,000 homes burned to the ground X two each = 16,000 persons with only 1,600 living in shelters and a thousand or more living at a local Walmart (who has said be out by today or else), but 90% of the people living at the walmart in tents are transit people cashing in on the free food and clothes. Strange, uh? Now we have to deal with the thousands massing on the US border too

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...ing/ar-BBPPsbG

Quote:
Authorities are working from a list of people whose loved ones have called in "welfare checks" or reported them missing, Butte County Sheriff's Investigations Sgt. Steve Collins said. After a call, officers go out to see if the home or other structure is still standing, or if the caller has heard from the missing person since.

The process is made more difficult, Butte County Sheriff and Coroner Kory Honea said, by communications difficulties.

"There are a lot of people displaced (who) don't know we are looking for them," Honea said.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 04:30 PM   #109
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default A TOLERABLY HAPPY THANKSGIVING

http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/2277
Quote:
Acres Burned - Containment: 153,336 acres - 90% contained Structures Destroyed: 13,906 residences, 514 commercial and 4,232 other buildings3 firefighter injuries - 83 civilian fatalities Precipitation(HEAVY RAIN AND THUNDER STORMS) has minimized fire activity and all fire lines continue to hold. Firefighters and resources continue to be deployed throughout the fire area to patrol and remove hazards. Search and Rescue crews and US&R teams continue to secure buildings and conduct a methodical search within the fire area for missing victims. Fire suppression repair has been temporarily suspended in areas that are inaccessible due to precipitation.
THE THUNDERSTORM OVER MY HOUSE LAST NIGHT AT 2AM, AFTER A DAYLONG OF STEADY RAIN AND POWER FAILURES WAS SPECTACULAR AND LOUD! THE LIGHTNING WAS BLINDING AND THE THUNDER DEAFENING! UPSIDE: THE SKYS ARE CLEAR ....FINALLY BREATHING WITHOUT A MASK AND THE TURKEY IS ON THE TABLE.

Old 11-22-18, 04:50 PM   #110
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

A welcome relief indeed. AQI right now in San Rafael is 28 and it was something like 5 when I got up. Airing out the house today.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 05:15 PM   #111
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Glad to hear that guys. Happy Thanksgiving.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-18, 08:49 PM   #112
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Acres Burned - Containment: 153,336 acres - 90% contained Structures Destroyed: 13,906 residences, 514 commercial and 4,232 other buildings3 firefighter injuries - 83 civilian fatalities
These numbers are very disturbing

Now comes the mud slides ... you know what else I heard that FEMA has 80 trailers ready to provide (for 30k people?)
or achievement

Old 01-11-19, 03:02 PM   #113
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Over a hundred dead people later

A Federal judge in San Francisco has ordered PG &E to inspect all of its entire electrical service area to trim any trees and replace any transmission equipment that could cause wildfires. This actually stems from a probation hearing of the company's involvement( violation of Federal pipeline regulations and obstruction of justice)in the awful 2010 San Bruno natural gas station pipeline explosion which destroyed an entire neighborhood and killed several residents.."to protect the public from further wrongs by the offender and reduce to zero the number of wildfires caused by PG&E in the 2019 wildfires season." The judge noted that Cal Fire has determined that PG&E caused 18 wildfires in 2017. The Camp Fire, with 86 dead, is still under investigation.

Old 01-11-19, 03:13 PM   #114
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

On a bad news note, it is being reported this morning that Trump is considering seizing all disaster relief funds already allocated to California for recovery from the latest deadly wildfires to use to build his border wall; included in the seizure also are funds allocated for hurricane relief for Puerto Rico and Texas, with the total estimated for all the proposed seizures of upwards of USD $11 Billion...

<O>
Old 01-11-19, 05:52 PM   #115
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
On a bad news note, it is being reported this morning that Trump is considering seizing all disaster relief funds already allocated to California for recovery from the latest deadly wildfires to use to build his border wall; included in the seizure also are funds allocated for hurricane relief for Puerto Rico and Texas, with the total estimated for all the proposed seizures of upwards of USD $11 Billion...

<O>
Trump probably won't do it ... don't blame him for thinking about it

One bad fire indeed that killed 86 people

or achievement

Old 01-11-19, 06:15 PM   #116
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Trump probably won't do it ... don't blame him for thinking about it

One bad fire indeed that killed 86 people

Your faith in Trump "probably" not doing something insane is amusing...

..and who else should be blamed for thinking about it who has the power to actually do it? There is mounting anger here in CA over the inept handling of disaster relief by the current administration. It seems an unnecessary burden to add to those already dealing with tragedy...

<O>
Old 01-14-19, 12:45 PM   #117
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default 1500 WILDFIRES LATER THE 'GEISHA GIRL' QUITS

TODAY'S WSJ ARTICLE:
Quote:
WITH ESTIMATED LIABILITIES TRIPLE ITS MARKET VALUE, PG& E IS CONTEMPLATIG BANKRUPTCY; Pacific Gas & Electric Co. said it plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy as investigators continue to look into the utility's possible involvement in causing the Camp Fire, which began Nov. 9 in Butte County, Calif. PG&E said the company plans to file for voluntary reorganization on or about January 29. It issued the announcement Monday because the utility must tell employees at least 15 days before a change of control in the company. CHIEF EXECUTIVE GEISHA WILLIAMS STEPPED DOWN ON SUNDAY...."PG&E LURCHES FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS": IT NEEDED TO UPDATE 125,0000 MILES OF ELECTRICAL LINES...ENOUGH TO CIRCLE THE GLOBE FIVE TIMES. FROM 2013 THROUGH 2017, IT REPORTED MORE THAN 16,000 SECTIONS OF HIGH VOLTAGE LINES FELL. THAT IS A DOWNED LINE EVERY THREE HOURS; MOST FROM FALLING TREES BUT ALSO PLAIN EQUIPMENT FAILURE. 30 % OF THE DOWNED LINES STAYED 'ENERGISED' CREATING MAJOR FIRE RISKS...
BANKRUPTCY WILL PROTECT THE ENTITY
FROM LAWSUITS OF CUSTOMERS INCLUDING THE ESTATES OF THOSE KILLED IN THE FIRES; THE POSSIBILITY EXISTS THAT THE COMPANY WILL BE BROKEN INTO SMALLER REGIONAL COMPANIES BY STATE REGULATORS. BETWEEN THE THE UNPRECEDENTED DROUGHT. THE AGING EQUIPMENT, WITH POOR MAINTENANCE AND FOREST MANAGEMENT, A MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE MELTDOWN ALL 'ROUND IMHO.

Old 01-16-19, 11:07 AM   #118
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon8 Outrageous!

PG &E CEO Geisha Williams is slated to receive $2.4 million in severance pay! I suspect that that would be "clawed back in pending bankruptcy proceedings" but the mere suggestion, given the utility's murderous infernal incompetence,
is outrageous!

Old 05-14-19, 01:04 AM   #119
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default TIME TO RETHINK OUR THINK??!!

I JUST WATCHED THIS ON NOVA AND AFTER THE 2017 FIRE ON THREE SIDES OF MY HOUSE FOR TWO WEEKS WITHIN 8000 FEET, IT ALTERS MY CONCEPTUAL THINKING: https://www.thirteen.org/programs/nova/inside-the-megafire-uzvhug/ BOTTOM LINE: SMOKEY THE BEAR WAS WRONG; FIRE KEEPS THE FOREST HEALTHY; STOPPING A FIRE SIMPLY BUILDS UP THE FUEL FOR AN INEVITABLE MEGAFIRE-MADE WORSE BY GLOBAL WARMING....LET IT BURN AND DON'T LIVE IN THE REMOTE WOODS!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-14-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 01:30 AM   #120
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I haven't watched your link but the fires aren't limiting themselves to the remote woods. Look at Middletown and Santa Rosa. Those areas were not remote but they still burned badly by just being near the remote woods. What about the Berkeley hills some years ago? My house is next the the freeway in San Rafael but it would still be consumed if a big fire started nearby. It's worrying to say the least and we are in for a fall after a big wet winter. The problem is how do you control those natural burn offs? Sure you don't need fishing gear?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, wild fires