SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-18, 05:45 PM   #3601
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Proph3t!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 07:14 PM   #3602
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hey there Proph3t! like Aktungbby (watch out for his warped sense of humor!) says, "W3lcome to SubSim!"

In the meantime, I can't remember what, if anything lurker_hlb3 changed in the "renown" settings, but most of the time with Silent Hunter 4, you need to have several "Good" patrols, and get your "skipper rating" up. Try to avoid having "bad" patrols. Even just one bad patrol can put you way back in the points system, especially if you have it early in the career. The game uses a system for the player to get upgrades and new boats, and it can be very frustrating, since there is no easy way to see your "score". I'll try to find that Ducimus thread about the points... [three hours later] ... wow... 15 pages later, I found it:

Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements

specifically, Post Number 10 for the "formula" (or, as Mr Krabs says "formulay, formuler"). Ducimus modded Trigger Maru Overhaul (TMO), while lurker_hlb3 did OM, and may have used different renown numbers for patrol completions and sinkings, but the idea of what you need to do is there. Also, you might have to be at a base where the "upgrades" are available. Lurker has a lot of his info in his ReadMe files in the "Support" folder of the game.

Edit 2125: OK, looking through my files, in v705 lurker had a good patrol set to 200. In v715, he took it up to 750, whereas in Stock, the value is 1000 points

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-16-18 at 08:27 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 07:14 AM   #3603
Proph3t
Swabbie

Downloads: 51

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Well then i'm still confused because I've sunk about 300,000 tonnage , earned many medals for myself and my crew and i always complete the patrols i'm assigned.

At the moment with my standard IX i can only barely reach my patrol area near Canada and then i only have about 7-9% fuel to spare before having to turn back again,

I honestly don't know what Donitz expects from me
Proph3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-18, 10:37 AM   #3604
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

How fast are you travelling to get there? At full speed you'll run out very quickly. At 1/3 speed (2nd slowest setting on the gauge), or about 8 knots you shouldn't use more than 10% of your fuel to make the trip. The Type IX was very long-legged.
Old 05-18-18, 12:00 PM   #3605
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proph3t View Post
... Well then i'm still confused because I've sunk about 300,000 tonnage , earned many medals for myself and my crew and i always complete the patrols i'm assigned ... At the moment with my standard IX ...
OK, did some digging - look in the Submarine folder for the specific subs, opening the (SubName).upcge file (your choice of which) in a text editor like Notepad (Windows) or Notepad++, you will see a line like "UpgradeClass=1", usually around Line 18 in the file, or the 5th or 6th actual text line. All of the TypeIX boats are set to a value of "1" (one), therefore, you will NOT "upgrade" from a 9 to a B to a B4 to a C to a D, etc... That's just the way the mod is set-up. We'll be doing some experimenting in the Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate mod over the next few weeks, and testing to see how high we can go with that particular number. The highest "working" number we've seen thus far is "3" (three). Check-in over there every once in a while, and see if mention is made of it there - that's the top of Page 397, btw, and we might be a few more pages along just shortly...

Old 05-18-18, 04:57 PM   #3606
Proph3t
Swabbie

Well that's disappointing, was hoping too make it till the end of the war with my veteran crew

But thanks for your help , really appreciate it!

Guess ill just start a new career in a IXC OR IXD2
Old 05-18-18, 05:01 PM   #3607
Proph3t
Swabbie

Oh and one more thing..

I wanted to mess around in 1943 with a IXD2 and as soon as i left port in France i was swarmed by like 12+ British Bristol Beaufighter!

I had the Quad AA so i shot down like 6-8 before 1 of them crashed into me lol , is this kind of air power supposed to happen in 1943-1945?
Old 05-18-18, 09:26 PM   #3608
propbeanie

Oh my, the real life history of a Uboat crew, especially from '43 on... - it was like 3 of every 4 died, with airplanes contributing significantly. Check-out U-Boat Fates, and others of that ilk. Possibly the only country with a higher mortality rate might have been the Japanese submariners... While 12 planes might be about 6 times more than a patrol, it wouldn't be unheard of. Planes are to be avoided...

Old 06-02-18, 08:37 PM   #3609
Proph3t
Swabbie

Hey guys , me again

Wanted to ask , when your stationed at the Penang Japanese base can you go further into the Pacific and attack US shipping? I never get any patrols there usually only around South Africa or India , obviously I'm willing to disobey HQ so i can bag me a Essex carrier

Just wanted to know if the shipping that side of the ocean is in the mod
Old 06-26-18, 04:56 PM   #3610
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proph3t View Post
Hey guys , me again

Wanted to ask , when your stationed at the Penang Japanese base can you go further into the Pacific and attack US shipping? I never get any patrols there usually only around South Africa or India , obviously I'm willing to disobey HQ so i can bag me a Essex carrier

Just wanted to know if the shipping that side of the ocean is in the mod

Well I once entered the Pacific with A IXd2 through the arctic ocean (just because why not) and snuck up on midway and pearl harbor, to only find those ports completely deserted. So, my guess is the Pacific is empty as well.

Old 06-26-18, 11:07 PM   #3611
propbeanie

You could combine the two sets of traffic though, easy enough... might have to change some of the "calls" for the ships, but Lurker's RSRDC layers would make that job easier... - but where would you get your fuel from? Secret bases in Chile & Mexico?... Antartica??

Old 07-27-18, 03:19 PM   #3612
auricom
Mate

Downloads: 63

Fired this up after a few years away from SH4, and just wanted to pass a big ol' thankyou to the creators and maintainers for what is such a fine piece of software, and curated history

Salut!
auricom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-18, 02:00 PM   #3613
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default OpMonsun Swapping Bases?

hey guys,

is anyone directly supporting OpMonsun with Lurker now "retired"?
i experienced something odd, even for SH4.
i am driving a Type VIIC in the Med... home based at Salamis April-May 1942. during my patrol i receive a message that informs me that my SubFlot has been moved and directs me to Spezzia. ok, i end the patrol in Spezzia, refit, get new patrol orders, and when i start the patrol, i am back at Salamis. WTF! (i dont remember sailing back to Salamis!!!!)
seriously, just looking to bounce this off whoever is supporting the Mod.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 08:35 PM   #3614
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default Neat Photos from the Eastern Med

Took these screen shots playing OpMonsun in the eastern Med. This one is from June 1942. It's raining cats-and-dogs and there is a full moon, bright-as-they-come.

and this one is from July 1942. What the H does that Large Allied Triangle represent?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 09:29 PM   #3615
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
Took these screen shots playing OpMonsun in the eastern Med...
... this one is from July 1942. What the H does that Large Allied Triangle represent?
The large allied triangle is a group of airplanes... Might be two, might be twenty - but they're probably looking for ~you~!...