SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-18, 04:22 PM   #1
SCPOTurner
Mate

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0
Default Endless Explosions

Recently installed CD version of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. After the first depth charge explosion, it's followed by an endless series of explosions that won't stop. What must I do to fix this?
SCPOTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 05:04 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Stop getting detected, and they won't drop the depth charges!

Seriously, though, what version do you have? Is it patched up to the u-boat version? Have you installed any mods? You also might try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if that works.
Old 01-12-18, 05:24 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Besides what razark mentions, installing the game in a "C:\Program Files..." folder, which is the game installer's "default..." setting, leads to issues with "modern" version of MS Windows, from Vista to Win10, if you mod. You say you have a disk version, so what you can do is copy the whole "Ubisoft..." folder structure, and then "paste" it into the C:\ root (or a 2nd hard drive), such that you end up with a "C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." structure, without the interference from Windows that the Program Files folders have. You could keep the current install in the C:\ Program Files folder if you want to - but do not un-install it, else you'll eliminate important info in the registry. You will have to create new shortcuts though to where you moved the game to, or just double-click on the SH4.exe file to run it.

Other issues come up when a person shells out to Windows from the game ("Oh! I need to send an email to my brother!"), and then comes back into the game. I've got a dual-monitor set-up with my computer, and I'm accidentally doing that all of the time, because I'm bad about hitting a 19" piece of monitor real estate with my mouse clicks (I'm very excitable when under attack with depth charges... ). Similar issues would be having the CO2 level continually rising, even though you've surfaced your boat and are breathing fresh "air". There are a few others that I can't think of right now... (such a memory). The easiest way to get rid of irritations of that sort is to Save your game ("Replay" is not necessary). Exit / Quit the game out to Windows, then re-start the game and load your saved game. All should be quiet now, or the oxygen restored, as the case may be...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 01:53 PM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPOTurner View Post
Recently installed CD version of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific. After the first depth charge explosion, it's followed by an endless series of explosions that won't stop. What must I do to fix this?
There are two DVD versions of SH4, one is the original version 1.0 that has many problems similar to what you describe and needs to be updated with the v 1.5 U-Boat expansion, the other is the Gold 1.5 version that doesn't need updating.

I hope you have the Gold version of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific...

Like propbeanie said, install to a folder on your C:\ drive (or any drive) that you create on the C:\ drive like, 'Ubisoft'. Problems will occur if you let it install to Program Files.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 02:25 PM   #5
SCPOTurner
Mate

QUOTE=razark;2536201]Stop getting detected, and they won't drop the depth charges!

Seriously, though, what version do you have? Is it patched up to the u-boat version? Have you installed any mods? You also might try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if that works.

Hi again. I have the boxed 2007 Ubisoft CD. For Windows XP/Vista (But it's running on Windows 10. NO mods installed. Several years ago somebody offered me a fix that worked. I haven't seen a version printed or displayed anywhere, I I presume it's the plain vanilla game. Came with metalic gold artwork on the box.
Old 01-13-18, 03:54 PM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Open Windows Explorer, browse to wherever you have Silent Hunter installed.

Look for a file named SH4.exe and RIGHT click on it.

Select Properties at the bottom of the menu that pops up.

In the Properties window, select the Version tab.

That will tell you what you actually have, and if you need a patch.

Other possibility - playing a game on a laptop with a built in sound chip instead of an actual sound card will cause weird effects for the game sounds, especially if it's an older chip that doesn't support stuff like hardware acceleration.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 07:54 PM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Pretty sure you have the 1.0 version. There is a free patch here at Subsim that will bring you up to v1.4 and play a whole lot better but you really should buy the v1.5 U-Boat expansion.

It has many improvements that v1.4 didn't fix for the US vs Japanese side and it has U-Boats too if you're in to them. There are some mods here for v1.4 but most mods are for v1.5, the U-Boat expansion.

Happy Hunting!

Old 01-13-18, 09:09 PM   #8
propbeanie

I think you're correct there aanker... such bad memories haunt me still. But then I remember SH5...

Old 01-15-18, 03:45 PM   #9
SCPOTurner
Mate

Okey-dokey. My version is 1. all zeros. I see what I can do with 1.5.
Old 01-15-18, 03:55 PM   #10
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well then - get you immediately V1.5 and master the Pacific with your submarine ... there are so many modifications for SH4 V1.5.
I quote Pb "You play easily the next 10 years"...

Old 01-15-18, 04:05 PM   #11
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Yeah. 1.0 was just bad.

I preordered the game, and by the time it arrived, they had already released the 1.1 patch.
Old 01-15-18, 10:18 PM   #12
propbeanie

... of course, by the time you got the v1.1 installed, v1.2 was out... then v1.3 came along, and made v1.0 look ~good~...

Old 01-16-18, 01:41 PM   #13
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... of course, by the time you got the v1.1 installed, v1.2 was out... then v1.3 came along, and made v1.0 look ~good~...
I bought the original 1.0 DVD in the box when it first came out because it was the first Silent Hunter game set in the Pacific Theater since SH1 and I thought it might be a collectors item.... Well, it is still sealed, never been opened, and this 'collectors item' has turned into a dust collector - ha!

The SH4 game I installed and still play is a digital download from the old D2D because I hate looking for a disk and needing to put DVD's in the drive every time I want to play a game. By patch 1.4 the Dev's & Ubisoft did away with the copy protection and the need to put the DVD in the drive which was really nice of them.

I still have the official patches and a few mods for v1.1, v1.2, v1.3 & v1.4 on a backup drive. It is amazing how much of an improvement v1.5 the U-Boat expansion is compared to those early versions.

Happy Hunting!