SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-19, 03:52 PM   #1
AlbrechtLang
Nub

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 Mod Installation Sequence

Greetings Kapitäns!

Been playing SH3 for a long while now, and I've been trying various mods and finally found a balance of supermods and mods that I want to use. Trouble is, I'm unsure of the sequence of installation on top of a stock Silent Hunter III in order to avoid corrupting files and making my game unplayable.

I have the stock Silent Hunter III 1.4 installation at the ready. I also have the GWX installer, as well as the LifeBoats&Debris_v4 and Stiebler h.sie mod at the ready. As my installation currently stands, I have SH3 installed with GWX, LBD_v4 and SH3 Commander mods applied without issue. I want to install the Stiebler4C_V16B1 mod as well, but reading the documentation states that I have to install on a clean version of SH3.

My thoughts are as follows:
1) Install stock SH3
2) Install Stiebler4C_V16B1 with the HsieOptionsSelector
3) Install Grey Wolves Gold 3.0
4) Install SH3 Commander with the configuration file tune installed afterward

I ran this by a friend of mine and he agrees that it seems like a viable installation process for the supermods and mods. I am not at risk of losing any career information since I'm starting anew after a failed assault on Loch Ewe (43 men dead, boat lost in action), so deleting what I already have is no issue. If anybody has any input on a proper installation sequence, I would be greatly appreciative of your input and advice!

Kpt. Albrecht Lang
AlbrechtLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 04:50 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > AlbrechtLang
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 10:21 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbrechtLang View Post
Greetings Kapitäns!

Been playing SH3 for a long while now, and I've been trying various mods and finally found a balance of supermods and mods that I want to use. Trouble is, I'm unsure of the sequence of installation on top of a stock Silent Hunter III in order to avoid corrupting files and making my game unplayable.

I have the stock Silent Hunter III 1.4 installation at the ready. I also have the GWX installer, as well as the LifeBoats&Debris_v4 and Stiebler h.sie mod at the ready. As my installation currently stands, I have SH3 installed with GWX, LBD_v4 and SH3 Commander mods applied without issue. I want to install the Stiebler4C_V16B1 mod as well, but reading the documentation states that I have to install on a clean version of SH3.

My thoughts are as follows:
1) Install stock SH3
2) Install Stiebler4C_V16B1 with the HsieOptionsSelector
3) Install Grey Wolves Gold 3.0
4) Install SH3 Commander with the configuration file tune installed afterward

I ran this by a friend of mine and he agrees that it seems like a viable installation process for the supermods and mods. I am not at risk of losing any career information since I'm starting anew after a failed assault on Loch Ewe (43 men dead, boat lost in action), so deleting what I already have is no issue. If anybody has any input on a proper installation sequence, I would be greatly appreciative of your input and advice!

Kpt. Albrecht Lang
In general, you want to install the Hsie and Stiebler patches last. You want their file work to be untouched by other mods. Some NYGM files are ok after them, but in general per above, unless one wants to do some editing of any conflicting files between these mods and others.
There is no problem with installing other mods before them in terms of affecting the Hsie/Stiebler patches; the last mod rules them all.
But even that may require some file editing to make the mods before these patches work. All depends what you want to use.

I take it you want to have GWX as your megamod choice ? If so, download Stiebler's patch all ready edited for GWX here, go to the folder with his name: https://maikhaas.synology.me:5001/fs...3COMMUNITYMODS

Second file from the top. Password is "Woelfe"

Also, per your post, looks like you want to install the Stiebler patch without the Hsie patch. You must install the Hsie patch too if you want to have the Stiebler patch.
I.e. per you list, install this way:

1. Stock SH3, patched to 1.4
2. Install GWX
3. Install Hsie patch
4. Install Stiebler patch.

SH3 Commander is a separate install of it's own. Hope this helps.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 05-03-19 at 10:35 PM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-19, 11:58 PM   #4
AlbrechtLang
Nub

To THEBERBSTER:
Thank you for your links that discuss in-depth modification. I've bookmarked them for consultation.

To John Pancoast:
I erred in my listings. It is my intent to run Hsie along with Stiebler. GWX will be my supermod. I will persue the matter later this week. I'm in the midst of transferring bases (moving to a new home) but I'm eager to try it out!
Old 05-04-19, 03:19 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

One small note: SH3 Commander is not a mod, and it doesn't care a bit when it is installed (as long as it's not before GWX).
Old 05-04-19, 06:05 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
One small note: SH3 Commander is not a mod, and it doesn't care a bit when it is installed (as long as it's not before GWX).
And requires the config files patch applied to it afterwards, to make it compatible with GWX3. [edit: my bad, the OP already knew about it]

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1421
Old 05-04-19, 07:26 AM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
To THEBERBSTER:
Thank you for your links that discuss in-depth modification. I've bookmarked them for consultation.

To John Pancoast:
I erred in my listings. It is my intent to run Hsie along with Stiebler. GWX will be my supermod. I will persue the matter later this week. I'm in the midst of transferring bases (moving to a new home) but I'm eager to try it out!
Give a yell if you need any help with the installs.
Old 05-04-19, 05:34 PM   #8
AlbrechtLang
Nub

Afternoon all!

My transfer is nearly complete, but I've the rest of the day free and thankfully my workstation hasn't been packed up yet. Let's give it a shot!

Pisces: Thanks, I am aware of the configuration tweak to enable SH3 Commander to function with GWX, but your reminder is welcome nonetheless! I'm a very forgetful KptLt thanks to nasty knock to my head on a bulkhead ages ago (Telephone pole at 100+ MPH), so I do sometimes lose track of certain details.

John Pancoast: I appreciate your offer for assistance. I'm going to give the install a go in a bit, but I'm going to ensure that I've the correct modification archives before proceeding. If I hit any speed bumps, I'll radio an SSS
Old 05-04-19, 05:39 PM   #9
AlbrechtLang
Nub

John Pancoast: Additionally, per your response earlier, you advise that I use the GWX customized h.sie patch that you linked. I presume I would be installing the linked custom h.sie patch in place of the "standard" h.sie patch, then apply the Stiebler patch, correct?

EDIT: Okay, I re-read your response and would be applying the custom patch in place of the stock Stiebler patch. Stock SH3 -> GWX -> H.sie -> Custom Stiebler patch
Old 05-04-19, 06:36 PM   #10
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
John Pancoast: Additionally, per your response earlier, you advise that I use the GWX customized h.sie patch that you linked. I presume I would be installing the linked custom h.sie patch in place of the "standard" h.sie patch, then apply the Stiebler patch, correct?

EDIT: Okay, I re-read your response and would be applying the custom patch in place of the stock Stiebler patch. Stock SH3 -> GWX -> H.sie -> Custom Stiebler patch
Correct; it replaces the "regular" Stiebler with all the necessary file editing already done.
It's plug and play for all the items mentioned in his patch read.

In terms of mods, best to go:

- SH3, v1.4
-GWX
etc.
Hie
Stiebler

* = any other mods.