SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-10, 10:26 PM   #931
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

They will get the bugs worked out just take some time they do one heck of a job. RA Mod Developers you rock
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 10:47 AM   #932
Woodylepic
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default SFX.agg emty in RA V1.1 ! !

I have instaled RA V1.1 yesterday and suprise there no voive sound in heach interface vessel ?

i have decompresse SFX.agg and all RA V1.1 SFX.agg was emty and have only 15.6k weight ? Only the Bear plane seem to be ok whit a 6 mg sfz file ?

What going on ?
Woodylepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 12:28 PM   #933
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

Try reinstalling over a fresh clean copy of dw and patch to 104 then do the RA mod
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 10:53 PM   #934
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

If the RA Mod team is looking for its next big challenge, I have a few ideas.

#1. Improved aircraft and carrier behaviors: Currently aircraft carriers (Kuneztov, Nimitz, Invicible, Charle de Gaulle, etc) don't sortie as they should, don't utilize AEW efficiently, and don't land aircraft correctly. Launching/landing seems a bit random and sporadic. It would be nice to have a improved behavior for those combined arms scenarios.

#2. Make the Sovremenny Class playable: The power of the Sunburn missile would be nice.

#3. Voice trigger to annouce when the sub reaches its assigned depth, similar to the annoucement when it reaches its assigned course. For example "Steady on depth XXX meters (feet)? I think it would add a bit of realism.

#4. Realistic turn radius for SSKs: I see alot of the smaller SSK have equal turn radius as the larger. Can they be modified to turn more realistically?

#5. Convert UUVs for countermine warfare only: As they are used in real-life.
Old 03-22-10, 05:46 AM   #935
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
#5. Convert UUVs for countermine warfare only: As they are used in real-life.
Edit : I think you could be right.
But on the other hand limiting uuv in DW to countermine warfare makes them useless for 90% of the games people play most of the time. And its a really big asset in terms of sonar detection right now.

Last edited by goldorak; 03-25-10 at 04:17 PM.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 02:08 PM   #936
ashepherd316
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

is there any way you can change the russian navy to the soviet navy and have the soviet flag aswell also would be good if there was a cold war campaign.
ashepherd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 06:25 PM   #937
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Edit : I think you could be right.
But on the other hand limiting uuv in DW to countermine warfare makes them useless for 90% of the games people play most of the time. And its a really big asset in terms of sonar detection right now.
My issue isn't whether or not UUVs with ASW or ASuW capability are plausible. They obviously are. Its whether or not they actually exist in RL currently. Even the US Navy UUV Master Plan from 2008 (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/technology/uuvmp.pdf )states that it may be possible in the future for UUVs to have these capabilities, but currently they do not. Having UUVs in the game is the equivalent of having Rattlrs or hypersonic jets or laser point defense systems. They are all purely hypothetical currently. So IMHO its a deviation from RL tatics for players to be using them in the sim and represents a point of fantasty instead of simulation.

Quote:
also would be good if there was a cold war campaign.
There is a DW conversion of the old SubCommand 688/SW and Akula campaigns floating around somewhere. Its quite good, but may require some fine tuning as it does not convert 100% with some minor bugs. Not sure where its hosted at the moment though.
Old 03-30-10, 07:03 PM   #938
dd149
Soundman

Downloads: 183

The campaigns are included in the RA DWX mod, and are converted, don't know if there are some bugs.
dd149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 07:42 PM   #939
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
My issue isn't whether or not UUVs with ASW or ASuW capability are plausible. They obviously are. Its whether or not they actually exist in RL currently. Even the US Navy UUV Master Plan from 2008 (http://www.navy.mil/navydata/technology/uuvmp.pdf )states that it may be possible in the future for UUVs to have these capabilities, but currently they do not. Having UUVs in the game is the equivalent of having Rattlrs or hypersonic jets or laser point defense systems. They are all purely hypothetical currently. So IMHO its a deviation from RL tatics for players to be using them in the sim and represents a point of fantasty instead of simulation.

Trying to keep the game assets in some way synchronized with "reality" is like chasing a moving target. There is always going to be a new capability that is not simulated in the game, or vice versa some aspects of game that are "forward looking" with respect to reality. These forward looking choices are arbitrary but still they may exist purely for gameplay purposes.
Insofar as UUVs are concerned, the real problem as I see it is the ability they have to use a passive sensor which up to now had more or less the same capability as a towed array. Which all other considerations aside is pretty much preposterous even in the game world. The choices we had were twofold : either eliminate completely the passive sensor capability, or leave it in but reasses the maximum range of the sensor so that it doesn't compete with the towed arrays performance. The choice was to go with the second option. So from now on, players won't be able to use uuvs as secondary towed arrays. With the new performance profile they are much nearer to real world uuvs than ever before. Even if we still retain a passive sensor capability (which has been pretty much gimped although not completely neutralized).
If you're thinking of using 2 uuvs to intercept incoming torpedoes from far away, that won't be possibile anymore. Or use a towed array and an uuv to triangulate a contact at 10 nm. These are great improvements as far as "realism" is concerned. And the game as a result is a little bit less arcade.
Old 03-30-10, 10:55 PM   #940
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
Trying to keep the game assets in some way synchronized with "reality" is like chasing a moving target. There is always going to be a new capability that is not simulated in the game, or vice versa some aspects of game that are "forward looking" with respect to reality. These forward looking choices are arbitrary but still they may exist purely for gameplay purposes.
I disagree. Every other aspect of the game is modeled according to historical or existing platforms and systems. Nothing else in the game is futuristic, so in so much UUV with ASW/ASuW are out of place.

Cutting the sonar performance is a step in the right direction. However, if I recal correctly when this was tried in the past, a glaring bug was uncoveraged in that the UUVs sensor range would not respond to capping or reductions and would retain maximum detection capability. (on a side note, I think torpedo feedback had a similar bug).
Old 03-31-10, 03:07 AM   #941
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Cutting the sonar performance is a step in the right direction. However, if I recal correctly when this was tried in the past, a glaring bug was uncoveraged in that the UUVs sensor range would not respond to capping or reductions and would retain maximum detection capability. (on a side note, I think torpedo feedback had a similar bug).

I think the modders are well aware of the bug that afflicted the uuvs in Lwami, and it seems they somehow managed to overcome it. When the 1.1 version is re-released we will have to test it of course but it all seems pretty good.
Old 03-31-10, 01:36 PM   #942
ashepherd316
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

thanks ill look for them but is there anyway i can change the ukraine and russia into the soviet union and have the soviet flag
ashepherd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 09:35 PM   #943
Lane
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 36

Has R A V 1.1 been fixed?
and were can you download it?

Thanks for any info.

Lane
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 12:06 AM   #944
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hi Lane they are fixing some reported bugs besides fixing the sound bug that made the release retracted.

I don't know when they will re-release DWX 1.1. I'm hoping soon enough
Old 04-01-10, 09:33 AM   #945
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

The RA 1.1 "beta" version is perfectly playable, except for the sound bug in Russian units and some other problems. That problems don´t make greats mistakes to the playability in the default units of DW and playable american units. (if you aren´t very exquisite with the sim...).

I´m testing and playing regurarly with RA 1.1 (only with american subs), and it is great!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinforce alert