SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-03-18, 11:05 AM   #5746
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Does anyone know if any environmental mods or ship physics were added to this mod and if so which ones?
Sorry merc4ulfate... I forgot to mention that earlier. "Yes" on both accounts, but in the original versions of Fall of the Rising Sun mod. The environmental changes are from W_Clear's Environmental Color Mod 5, re-worked by MadMax, and some Capntain Cox, Carotio and Sober mods for different parts of the environment. The ship physics (also in the original FotRS) was WernerSobe's Natural Sinking Mechanics v3.1, probably re-worked by MadMax also.

Some of the trouble we are experiencing with the mod is the combining of ships from all the different authors, and the different methods of configuration they used, as well as some of them not being in the NSM mod. We are still in the process of attempting to "standardize" all of that (well, CapnScurvy and s7rikeback are), but keep finding little nigglies and nargles...

... and cdrsubron7 is just too fast for me...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-03-18 at 11:09 AM. Reason: cdrsubron7 :salute:
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 12:44 PM   #5747
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

In the past I always enjoyed the Improved Ship Physics made by TorpX

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4580

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 04:43 PM   #5748
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

What's going on here....

BTW, isn't it a Matsu class DD? This screenshot was taken in march 1943... As far as know the first ship of this class was completed in April 1944...

Last edited by yyzBegonia; 02-03-18 at 04:53 PM.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 06:29 PM   #5749
propbeanie

OK, like with some of merc4ulfate's issues, bad dates can also cause bad spawns... I'm not an expert on ship rec by any stretch of the imagination, and would have to find the Museum to compare shots - but like you say, if that's a ship that's supposed to show later, could well be the issue. The other "accoutrements" of course aren't dated as narrowly. Dates that overlap can also do that. At least it's sitting in the water properly... However, do you happen to know where you were, were you came from, and the date? Was the DD part of a convoy, Task Force, Troop Ship group, carrier group, etc.?

Edit: ... and lest I forget - if you use the external camera and travel over say 15-20k, the textures sometimes don't render correctly, especially terrain. Leave Pearl sometime from outside the harbor, and then use the external camera, and travel back behind and to your right (135-ish) to go back to Pearl, and you'll see the facing side of the hills, but not the backsides. Go a little further, and there will be no docks or land at all...

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-03-18 at 06:34 PM. Reason: backsides...
Old 02-03-18, 07:37 PM   #5750
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK, like with some of merc4ulfate's issues, bad dates can also cause bad spawns... I'm not an expert on ship rec by any stretch of the imagination, and would have to find the Museum to compare shots - but like you say, if that's a ship that's supposed to show later, could well be the issue. The other "accoutrements" of course aren't dated as narrowly. Dates that overlap can also do that. At least it's sitting in the water properly... However, do you happen to know where you were, were you came from, and the date? Was the DD part of a convoy, Task Force, Troop Ship group, carrier group, etc.?

Edit: ... and lest I forget - if you use the external camera and travel over say 15-20k, the textures sometimes don't render correctly, especially terrain. Leave Pearl sometime from outside the harbor, and then use the external camera, and travel back behind and to your right (135-ish) to go back to Pearl, and you'll see the facing side of the hills, but not the backsides. Go a little further, and there will be no docks or land at all...
Ummm... It should be around mid March of 1943, hundreds nm away south east of Kyushu. The TF was only consisted of 2 DDs, one old, like momi class or something, and one Matsu. I don't think it was because of external camera's long travel since the another one's texture is normal. Also, in periscope view the Matsu's texture still blacked.

BTW, I sunk the black Matsu but then I was killed by another one's depth charges! Honestly it is my first time been sunk by DD's depth charge. Alright, my first career in FOTRSU just ended...
Old 02-03-18, 07:38 PM   #5751
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

After a ~5ish year break from Silent Hunter I decided to install it again. In the past I mostly did RFB or TMO runs so I decided to spice it up a little and give FOTRS a go and so far I'm having a blast! My first patrol ended early because I decided to test out the 'flak shells' on the 20mm, missed horribly, and got a large bomb shoved where no submarine wants a bomb shoved.

The only thing that caused me any grief was the weird sound where the audio of my guns jumps up and down. I remember that being a bother back when I played with different mods way back though and it's really not that serious. Anyone know about that? I'm still getting used to using Subsim again; I tried looking around for info about it but couldn't find much. Apologies if this is one of those common easy to fix issues that get asked about every day
Old 02-03-18, 09:05 PM   #5752
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzBegonia View Post
Ummm... It should be around mid March of 1943, hundreds nm away south east of Kyushu. The TF was only consisted of 2 DDs, one old, like momi class or something, and one Matsu. I don't think it was because of external camera's long travel since the another one's texture is normal. Also, in periscope view the Matsu's texture still blacked.

BTW, I sunk the black Matsu but then I was killed by another one's depth charges! Honestly it is my first time been sunk by DD's depth charge. Alright, my first career in FOTRSU just ended...
OK, you found one of the few sub hunter groups we left in there (they're tough cookies!)... There should not have been an issue with it, other than like you say, maybe the wrong ship on the wrong date, and it's set to be the leader, so it tries to spawn. I'll look into that one closer

If it's for certain that you had a Momi (set to DE in FotRSU) as one of the two ships, then you encountered the "42b_Jap_Subhunter_151" RGG. But that one is down by Truk... Another thing is, all of the Sub Hunter groups are set to GENERIC, which means the game should only pull what's available for the time frame the game is in. So I dunno... Here's what the Matsu looks like:

... and it is available from January 1, 1943 on, one skin... There is a "Tachibana" load-out that we'll have to look at also.

Was there a lot of other traffic in the area? Did I ask you if you had LAA enabled on the SH4.exe file?...

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-03-18 at 09:37 PM. Reason: picture... ooh.
Old 02-03-18, 09:14 PM   #5753
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Creeper View Post
After a ~5ish year break from Silent Hunter I decided to install it again. In the past I mostly did RFB or TMO runs so I decided to spice it up a little and give FOTRS a go and so far I'm having a blast! My first patrol ended early because I decided to test out the 'flak shells' on the 20mm, missed horribly, and got a large bomb shoved where no submarine wants a bomb shoved.

The only thing that caused me any grief was the weird sound where the audio of my guns jumps up and down. I remember that being a bother back when I played with different mods way back though and it's really not that serious. Anyone know about that? I'm still getting used to using Subsim again; I tried looking around for info about it but couldn't find much. Apologies if this is one of those common easy to fix issues that get asked about every day
Glad you like it Soviet Creeper. I've not experienced any sound issues myself lately. Did you change any of the game settings for sound? Also, it "sounds" (bad pun) like you are referring to your own 20mm gun's sound effect going up and down in volume rather abruptly? Were you at the gun emplacement yourself, or were you on the bridge, and hearing the change in level as the gun rotated? It's a 3D FX sound, so that might be an issue for us to look into...

Do you have the LAA enabled on the SH4.exe file? See CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install thread. He wrote it specifically for Win10, but it'll work all the way back to Vista 64-bit with slight instructions alterations...

Old 02-03-18, 09:57 PM   #5754
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Quote:
... and it is available from January 1, 1943 on, one skin... There is a "Tachibana" load-out that we'll have to look at also.

Was there a lot of other traffic in the area? Did I ask you if you had LAA enabled on the SH4.exe file?...
So that's a problem... Matsu shouldn't appear until April 44 but now we have it since Jan 43...

I've no idea because this hunter group was encountered on my way to the ordered area near Osumi Strait. I didn't got any contacts before this one. And I'm sure that I've enabled the LAA on game's exe file.
Old 02-03-18, 11:46 PM   #5755
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

Quote:
Glad you like it Soviet Creeper. I've not experienced any sound issues myself lately. Did you change any of the game settings for sound? Also, it "sounds" (bad pun) like you are referring to your own 20mm gun's sound effect going up and down in volume rather abruptly? Were you at the gun emplacement yourself, or were you on the bridge, and hearing the change in level as the gun rotated? It's a 3D FX sound, so that might be an issue for us to look into...

Do you have the LAA enabled on the SH4.exe file? See CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install thread. He wrote it specifically for Win10, but it'll work all the way back to Vista 64-bit with slight instructions alterations...
So I went to go and reproduce the bug... And it's gone! The first couple patrols I did without LAA but then I remembered its a thing and I should go get it so I did. And now I'm blasting all my Narwal's guns with beautiful, consistent audio! So yeah I guess LAA is a lifesaver in more ways than one.

Appreciate the response though. For now I'm going to get back to lobbing torps and remembering diving a better option than fighting aircraft.
Old 02-04-18, 12:00 AM   #5756
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

I wanted to note on my first campaign patrol there were no air planes.

I deleted the first campaign patrol from the game and started over hoping to get to Kii Suido and find those half sinking ships. My words the planes were out in force this time.

I do wish to note on this new campaign patrol the flag on the fantail disappeared under water and was only visible above the surface. The planes did 50% hull damage before making it to Kii Suido. I paused the game for 45 minutes and winodws logged me out and it caused the game to crash and stop working so when I logged back in windows had a prompt about the crash.

I should have remembered to turn off the auto log off in windows.

By the way I thought "C" was the key binding to crash dive. I was wrong and the planes made sure I'd remember.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 02-04-18 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-04-18, 11:10 AM   #5757
propbeanie

Yeah... I've still got those "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" files printed out on a sheet of paper by my computer...

So it sounds like something was off a pinch on your first run merc4ulfate... Do you have any ideas, other than deleting the Save folder again? Some of those planes are piloted by none-other than Superman, able to see from 20km beyond the horizon, and drop a bomb through your periscope tube...

Old 02-04-18, 12:18 PM   #5758
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Yeah... I've still got those "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" files printed out on a sheet of paper by my computer...

So it sounds like something was off a pinch on your first run merc4ulfate... Do you have any ideas, other than deleting the Save folder again? Some of those planes are piloted by none-other than Superman, able to see from 20km beyond the horizon, and drop a bomb through your periscope tube...
Nothing changed between run one and run two except the name of the boat. I will say the first patrol was at a different location. The second was a bit more north east along the coast but I went to Kii instead in hopes of finding the half sunk freighters. Why the flag suddenly disappears under water is a mystery but the eye issue of those on deck is still there. Those inside the submarine do not suffer from the missing or sunken eyes.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-07-18, 05:40 AM   #5759
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi guys
Might be useful to someone.
Can be found in my tutorials.

Download link to these and full Tables
http://www.mediafire.com/file/flga1e...26%20Hours.zip

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-18, 10:48 PM   #5760
propbeanie

Very nice, Peter!

We've been busy trying to iron-out some "recently" discovered issues (well, within the last year anyway), and I've been doing some "testing" of different set-ups, while CapnScurvy and s7rikeback do all the heavy lifting. We're trying to get some AI subs to sink, so to speed things along, for the target practicing, I've gone the auto-targeting, quick reload route, with no duds. Well, all that doesn't stop this:

That's #6 tube coming back to gitt me. it missed me here... No more than 10 degrees of angle on the shot either... I dived after I heard the screws getting louder again (I at first thought it was gnats buzzing in my ears), and then I looked on the attack map, and there it is, coming after me!...

But this one did things a little different from any I've watched before, and that is that it spiraled down...

didn't miss me there... I'm down at 110 or so here...

... got hit, and we were on our way down for good. Notice the depth there... Couldn't maintain, even at Ahead Flank after the impact, and a blow ballast after this shot didn't do a thing. Boat was laying kind of sideways and trying to corkscrew itself down. Would not right itself... wow.

A target practice mission, and I sank myself (agaiin)... It circled around me I'll bet six times or more. You could hear the thing circling, as it acted like a homing torpedo. It turned real sharp a couple of times. It was a Mk14, btw... mid 1944. This was one of those times I wish I would have had the video on recording...