SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-14, 06:28 PM   #46
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
Some observations from me:

Don't type symbol = in comments field! Well, don't put = in any fields. Result is that entirely EntryText will be missing:

When a ship sunk, the navigation officer informed me. But from installation instructions I replace "She's going down!" with "Following plotted course!" to hide the fact of sinking. Well, in every situations by now, this is noticeable for me.
But if I don't have navigation officer in his station, then I don't have any message for sinking ship.
I found that having the Nav say "Returning to course." for no reason was a dead giveaway. It's just as easy to null out 4140, 4141, and 4142 with semicolons in en_menu.txt. This doesn't cause any problems and doesn't result in an empty line, so I get no indication of a successful sinking. I use h.sie's and Stiebler's patches, so I can get some idea of how well I am doing from how happy BdU sounds, but I'm never sure till I turn in my report.

Thanks, LGN1, for this mod, which adds a lot of fun and feel to the game. Because of the need to report sinkings, I find myself keeping more notes on patrol events and making a more detailed patrol report. Nice! It's mods like this that add to the sense of immersion in the game, not finger-walking up ladders.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 07:01 PM   #47
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
How did you find this out? Was there any reason to include =?
In second screenshot I was typed: "Torpedo run: 71sec = 1460m"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
After reading some more historical accounts, my feeling is that the current 'BDU' is quite strict. What are your experiences? Should the 'BDU' be more tolerant concerning over-claiming?
I don't have feeling how strict program is. I'm very accurate with my claims.
Problems are only when in the RecManual have two ships that looked exactly the same, but for example one is 11000 and another is 9000.
In this cases I always claim one with less tonnage.
Happens that BDU correct my tonnage from another source, but never to reject my claims.
Well, in my next patrols I'll try some over-claiming, to see what happens.
Old 10-31-14, 10:32 PM   #48
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
In second screenshot I was typed: "Torpedo run: 71sec = 1460m"
I don't have feeling how strict program is. I'm very accurate with my claims.
Problems are only when in the RecManual have two ships that looked exactly the same, but for example one is 11000 and another is 9000.
In this cases I always claim one with less tonnage.
Happens that BDU correct my tonnage from another source, but never to reject my claims.
Well, in my next patrols I'll try some over-claiming, to see what happens.
BdU has given me leeway of almost 20%. I wouldn't want more than that. But I would prefer that they correct my misidentifications, rather than rejecting them. I have had confirmed sinkings rejected because I was wildly off in my ID. (OK, I went in and checked the saved logs.) If I sank something in BE17 on August 10, and BdU knows it was only a tramp freighter and not a Liberty ship, then I would like them to credit me with the known tonnage. From what I have read, this was commonly done.

On rereading, that sounds like a strong complaint. I am really quite pleased with this mod and what it adds to the game. But, since you asked what I want from Santa....
Old 11-01-14, 08:39 AM   #49
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi BigWalleye & Tycho,

thanks for the replies! The idea with the semi-colon in front of the numbers is great. However, I thought this would lead to some problems , but I will test it again (years ago people tried to get rid of the 'The enemy is pinging us' comment and IIRC, no one had a good solution. But your method should also solve this give-away).

I will think about your suggestion that BDU will correct your claims. However, I think this would require quite some work. In addition, in most cases BDU would not know more than you do (except in the early-war period). So, I'm not sure about a good solution.

Personally, I always interpret the rejection as a very poor report/briefing to the BDU so that he is very upset with the poor quality of my report no matter what my actual performance was.

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 12:03 PM   #50
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Here's the info on C2 cargo in the version of NYGM (TMT, NYGM version) I'm playing:

[Unit]
ClassName=KLS
UnitType=102
MaxSpeed=15.5
Length=140.5
Width=19.5
Mast=22.6
Draft=7.8
Displacement=14225
RenownAwarded=4770

There is a huge difference between Displacement and RenownAwarded. Which number should I report, Displacement or RenownAwarded?
Old 02-11-15, 02:30 PM   #51
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Here's the info on C2 cargo in the version of NYGM (TMT, NYGM version) I'm playing:

[Unit]
ClassName=KLS
UnitType=102
MaxSpeed=15.5
Length=140.5
Width=19.5
Mast=22.6
Draft=7.8
Displacement=14225
RenownAwarded=4770

There is a huge difference between Displacement and RenownAwarded. Which number should I report, Displacement or RenownAwarded?
Since NYGM counts only tonnage, not "renown", and displacement, while not exactly GRT, is a close measure, I would certainly use displacement.
Old 02-12-15, 09:40 AM   #52
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

I'll try displacement then. We'll see how that works.
Old 02-12-15, 11:31 AM   #53
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
I'll try displacement then. We'll see how that works.
I use the BRT numbers right out of LGN1's Color_RecManual_V2, available at Plissken's (natch!). They match the numbers which NYGM posts to my .clg file closely enough that SH3Log (another LGN1 product) is happy with them. Sometimes, BdU says that they have "corrected" my estimates using "other sources", (Abwehr presumably) but they don't throw them out. BTW, I seldom get the ship ID right. Since I use Hitman's GUI, I don't need an accurate ID to get a firing solution, so I usually ID after the fact. (This was certainly done often RL, to judge by the first-person accounts.) With 100+ ship classes in MFM and periodic changes in ship skins, I can seldom guess the right class. One Medium Merchant looks pretty much like another. I'm sure this was true RL, as well. But, since one Medium Merchant also displaces pretty much like another, the numbers are good enough to satisfy BdU, as represented by SH3Log. After I have submitted my report, I do peek in the saved .clg file just to score myself, and the tonnages are within 20%, while the ship classes are all over the park. But I have just finished Volume 1 of Blair's book, and I do better than the historical Kaleuns!
Old 02-12-15, 12:48 PM   #54
sublynx
Sea Lord

That's true with me as well. I don't often id my targets either. It's not necessary while manual targeting. (I sometimes don't hit my intended target either. The last sinking I did was revealed to me when I saved the game and exited. Suddenly it said 9000 tonnes sunk. I had missed my target and hit a troop transport ship of sorts. A long range night surface attack in NYGM and a visibility of max 4000 meters. I only saw some of the ships in the convoy's fringes. I did see some fire but I thought it was some of the smaller ships that were on fire because of the stormy seas.)

I love SH3
Old 02-12-15, 02:40 PM   #55
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

[Unit]
ClassName=KLS
UnitType=102
MaxSpeed=15.5
Length=140.5
Width=19.5
Mast=22.6
Draft=7.8
Displacement=14225
RenownAwarded=4770

Hi sublynx,

sorry for the late reply. SH3 Log uses the displacement value for judging the 'quality' of your report. Thus, you should use this value.

Since the C2 is quite common, I'm surprised that the difference has not been corrected before. Maybe you should post it in the NYGM thread so that Stiebler can fix it in the next update.

Regards, LGN1

PS: @all: Thanks for your kind words about SH3 Log. I'm happy that you like it.
Old 02-13-15, 09:57 AM   #56
sublynx
Sea Lord

No problem LGN1!
I'm looking forward to start using your mod. I'm in the process of slowly modifying my game and with limited game time - as always - and that has slowed me in trying many cool mods but I'm finally in the process of starting of first trying SH3Log and then modding it in my system.
Old 02-14-15, 10:44 AM   #57
sublynx
Sea Lord

Can I start using SH3LOG with an old career or do I have to start a new career?
Old 02-15-15, 04:19 PM   #58
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Can I start using SH3LOG with an old career or do I have to start a new career?
Hi sublynx,

you can use an old career and don't have to start a new one.

Regards, LGN1
Old 02-15-15, 11:58 PM   #59
sublynx
Sea Lord

I see. Then I'm having some kind of trouble. (I'm also having problems with some CTD's that happen suddenly amidst playing - not while loading a game. I'll have to solve that first and then get back to SH3Log.)
Old 02-16-15, 03:25 PM   #60
sublynx
Sea Lord

I get this warning:

"Patrol 0 not yet finished or wrong name."

My commander is named Heinz Wähling. Could the letter "ä" cause problems? Finnish keyboard (or is it Swedish).