SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-11, 09:06 AM   #646
doppleganger
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
SH3 Commander does NOT go inside SH3. It goes into Program Files. Did you not follow the instructions?
Yup, I follow instructions.

Taken directly from SH3 Commander manual:

"SH3 Commander can be installed anywhere and is totally independent of Silent Hunter III. "
doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 09:11 AM   #647
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppleganger View Post

"SH3 Commander can be installed anywhere and is totally independent of Silent Hunter III. "
Then you're on the right track,

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 01:04 PM   #648
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:

But I don't think it was meant to be installed inside of the game it controls, or else it can't control it. I could be wrong, but I've never had the problems you describe, so one of us is doing it wrong.
Old 03-27-11, 07:53 PM   #649
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
But I don't think it was meant to be installed inside of the game it controls, or else it can't control it. I could be wrong, but I've never had the problems you describe, so one of us is doing it wrong.
Not to get all 'right and wrong here', but the meaning of "anywhere" seems to be pretty unambiguous...

While individual experience may vary, I've run the same setup for years and never experienced the 'rollback' issues doppelganger originally reported. Take that for what it's worth, but for my money, I'd be looking elsewhere for the probable cause.
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 04:47 PM   #650
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

SH3 Commander is a standalone programme and as such should be treated the same as with similar applications....it is rare that you would install an additional programme within an existing one...'normaly' you would point/indicate the programme you require it to interract with.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 04:48 PM   #651
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Then you're on the right track,
Nope

Old 03-28-11, 04:50 PM   #652
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Nope
Please explain, thanks!

Marie Curie

Old 03-28-11, 07:07 PM   #653
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Please explain, thanks!
Well obviously not if he is still experiencing difficulties....could be in the interpretaion or execution of the actions.

Old 03-28-11, 07:15 PM   #654
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Well obviously not if he is still experiencing difficulties....could be in the interpretaion or execution of the actions.
PM sent!

Marie Curie

Old 03-29-11, 03:31 PM   #655
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
PM sent!
Responded

Old 03-30-11, 07:33 AM   #656
doppleganger
Nub

Downloads: 2

For those interested, I uninstalled SH3Cmdr from within the Silent Hunter 3 folder and then re-installed elsewhere. No change in behavior. The explanation about some weird interaction with Steam seems reasonable, so for now, I just wont use the rollback option and do it manually. No Biggie!

Thanks!
doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 05:16 PM   #657
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162
Default Starting a career Sept 39

In SH3C I choose september, II Flotilla, VII sub. But when I actually go to start a career I can only get that config if I start from Kiel, If I start from the other 2 bases I get the tiny sub (cant remember the make) and start in August ??
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 05:33 PM   #658
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

That's weird, I've always started in the 2 Flotilla with a Type VII and it puts me in Wilhelmshaven. That's in August 39 but it should be the same in September.

But your choice of flotilla will determine which base you start from - the flotillas are assigned to a particular base which depends on the date, in September 39 the 2nd is based at Wilhelmshaven. If you are in 2 Flotilla, you will start and end your patrol there; if you start from a different base, you're not in the 2 Flotilla.

When you select the 2 Flotilla in Commander to start a career, and then load the game and select that kaleun's names to start a new career there, and get to the screen where it shows the little map with the different bases marked up in the top right - there's a section to the left where you have to click on the forward or back arrows until it shows the flotilla that you selected in Commander. It won't default to it, you have to make sure you go through the list and select the same one.

If you have 'historical u-boat availability' checked in Commander then you can't start in Kiel (2 Flotilla) and get a VII, as 1 Flotilla out of Kiel only has Type IIs. If you are telling Commander to put you in 2 Flotilla but not also selecting that flotilla once you get into the game, I don't know what it does...
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:02 PM   #659
Chubster
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

When you select the 2 Flotilla in Commander to start a career, and then load the game and select that kaleun's names to start a new career there, and get to the screen where it shows the little map with the different bases marked up in the top right - there's a section to the left where you have to click on the forward or back arrows until it shows the flotilla that you selected in Commander. It won't default to it, you have to make sure you go through the list and select the same one.
Hmm....When in Commander there is no option of what base to start in just flotilla...so when I start game I choose the player name I created. Then a screen loads and I am already assigned to the correct flotilla. (The forward and backward arrows just change base) I then have a choice of three bases to choose from. Choosing any of then does not change the flotilla so I assumed I could start at any of those bases ?
Chubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:44 PM   #660
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubster View Post
Hmm....When in Commander there is no option of what base to start in just flotilla...so when I start game I choose the player name I created. Then a screen loads and I am already assigned to the correct flotilla. (The forward and backward arrows just change base) I then have a choice of three bases to choose from. Choosing any of then does not change the flotilla so I assumed I could start at any of those bases ?
No, no, and no.

The flotilla you select in Commander is assigned to a particular base; you must start from that base to be assigned to that flotilla in the game. The base you choose in the game will determine your flotilla. A flotilla is assigned to a particular base for a particular date range; you can't mix and match.

If you told Commander you wanted the 2 Flotilla but select Kiel as a base in the game, the game will assign you to 1 Flotilla because that is the flotilla that was based at Kiel (when the war started). To start in 2 Flotilla, you must select Wilhelmshaven as a base because only 2 Flotilla is based at Wilhelmshaven in Sept 1939.

When you look at that screen in the game, the bit above the "selectable" bases that says what flotilla you selected? That is there to tell you that *this* is the flotilla you told Commander you were going to start in. You still need to use the backward/forward arrows to tell the game that you are selecting it.

Commander allows you to "pre-select" a base/flotilla; it assumes you will make that same selection once you get into the game. But Commander won't force the game to put you in 2 Flotilla if you tell the game you want to be based at Kiel. If you tell the game to base you at Kiel, it will assign you to 1 Flotilla no matter what you told Commander.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh3 commander