SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-13, 04:35 AM   #31
igorlikespike
Helmsman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 1

Hi LGN1!

Congratulations on a great idea, it surely adds a lot of realism to the whole SH3. - after reading about u-boat inshore campaign around UK coast, a lot of kaleuns made some terrific claims based on just the sounds of explosions.
Anyway I tried using your mod, put the JGSME ready map files in the proper mod map, put the executable SH3Log in SH3/data/cfg, enabled the log through JGSME - a lot of conflicts with comannds and Stiebler mod - ran the game and then I get a CTD! What am I doing wrong?

Good hunting!
igorlikespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 05:40 AM   #32
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorlikespike View Post
put the executable SH3Log in SH3/data/cfg
Did you put the SH3Log.exe in the save game folders? As in .../Documents/SH3/data/cfg.

I understand that if one wants to evaluate the program one does not need to go through with the whole installation process - the exe being the only obligatory file. I didn't do anything with JSGME and the program seems to start alright. I haven't yet had the time to actually make a complete sinking report yet, though.
Old 10-19-13, 04:14 AM   #33
igorlikespike
Helmsman

I did that and tested it straight away.After completing a patrol in the Med, I managed to sink just one Small Merchant, so there was no problem with the confirmation. It seem s that the exe.file does alter the game somewhat, because I cannot see my medals anymore and the renown points are altered also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Did you put the SH3Log.exe in the save game folders? As in .../Documents/SH3/data/cfg.

I understand that if one wants to evaluate the program one does not need to go through with the whole installation process - the exe being the only obligatory file. I didn't do anything with JSGME and the program seems to start alright. I haven't yet had the time to actually make a complete sinking report yet, though.
Old 10-19-13, 01:28 PM   #34
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi igorlikespike,

I'm sorry about the CTD. In order to help you I need more information.

My current understanding:
You installed the mod on NYGM(?) and got conflicts, but continued anyway. You made one patrol without any problems sinking one ship. You finished the patrol, used the exe while in port, and then wanted to start a new patrol. However, you got a CTD when loading the game(?).

Can you please tell me which mod you are using? Can you also please tell me where the game exactly crashes (while loading the patrol, still in the main menu, while loading the 3d part,...)?

Can you also please try to start the next patrol without the jsgme part? As pointed out earlier, this is not neccessarily required (without it no game files are changed at all, only the save-game files).

It would be also great if you could post the latest log_X.cfg, careers.cfg, careers_0.cfg, patrols.cfg, and patrols_0.cfg files from the save game folder since these five files are the only files changed by the exe. A CTD due to the exe must be related to an error in these five files.

Regards, LGN1

Last edited by LGN1; 10-19-13 at 01:47 PM.
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 08:48 PM   #35
igorlikespike
Helmsman

Hi, LGN!

Thank you for your quick reply and offerig to help me. I spent a whole of my sick leave playing SH 3 and thoroughly tested the Log mod, and IT WORKS!!! The trick is like Sublynx said is that one needs just to put the exe file in My documents SH3/data/cfg folder. I am using GWX 3. gold and SH 3 commander - so far only problems i get is that when i want to click update personal file in CH3 Commander, the program refuses to open (but I can still acess the logs, crew and nightclub).

Anyway, I'm really glad that mod works fine and I think now is the time to turn that event camera off and focus just on what information can be gathered by hydrophones, visual sightings and assumptions, and put all of that in my new log.

Thank you again

Example of the last patrol log

[Log Entry 0]
Type=0
EntryText=Patrol 7|U-74, 23rd/29th Flotilla|Left at: October 25, 1942, 04:31|From: La Spezia|Mission Orders: Patrol grid CJ88
Date=19421025
Time=431
Categ=0

[Log Entry 1]
Type=0
EntryText=Ship sunk!|Grid CN 55|SS Ada (Tramp Steamer), 2610 BRT|Nationality: Australian|Torpedo hits: 1|Deckgun hits: 0|Comments: General cargo|Cargo: General Cargo. Crew: 31. Crew lost: 14
EntryTitle=November 2, 1942, 11:55
Date=19421102
Time=1155
Categ=0

[Log Entry 2]
Type=0
EntryText=Warship sunk!|Grid CH 84|HMS Leeds United (ASW Trawler), 1100 BRT|Nationality: British|Torpedo hits: 1|Deckgun hits: 0|Comments:|Crew: 38. Crew lost: 23
EntryTitle=November 15, 1942, 22:03
Date=19421115
Time=2203
Categ=0

[Log Entry 3]
Type=0
EntryText=Ship sunk!|Grid CH 76|SS Perterton (Medium Merchant 08), 5250 BRT|Nationality: British|Torpedo hits: 1|Deckgun hits: 0|Comments: General cargo|Cargo: General Cargo. Crew: 52. Crew lost: 7
EntryTitle=November 22, 1942, 14:27
Date=19421122
Time=1427
Categ=0

[Log Entry 4]
Type=0
EntryText=Ship sunk!|Grid CH 76|SS Chippewa (Tramp Steamer), 2610 BRT|Nationality: British|Torpedo hits: 0|Deckgun hits: 50|Comments:|Cargo: Coal. Crew: 30. Crew lost: 2
EntryTitle=November 22, 1942, 15:58
Date=19421122
Time=1558
Categ=0

[Log Entry 5]
Type=0
EntryText=Patrol results|Ships sunk: 4|Aircraft destroyed: 0|Patrol tonnage (claimed/confirmed): 11570/11570 BRT
Date=19421127
Time=258
Categ=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi igorlikespike,

I'm sorry about the CTD. In order to help you I need more information.

My current understanding:
You installed the mod on NYGM(?) and got conflicts, but continued anyway. You made one patrol without any problems sinking one ship. You finished the patrol, used the exe while in port, and then wanted to start a new patrol. However, you got a CTD when loading the game(?).

Can you please tell me which mod you are using? Can you also please tell me where the game exactly crashes (while loading the patrol, still in the main menu, while loading the 3d part,...)?

Can you also please try to start the next patrol without the jsgme part? As pointed out earlier, this is not neccessarily required (without it no game files are changed at all, only the save-game files).

It would be also great if you could post the latest log_X.cfg, careers.cfg, careers_0.cfg, patrols.cfg, and patrols_0.cfg files from the save game folder since these five files are the only files changed by the exe. A CTD due to the exe must be related to an error in these five files.

Regards, LGN1
Old 10-20-13, 05:33 AM   #36
CaliEs
Loader

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Interesting. Will download & install.
Old 10-20-13, 12:39 PM   #37
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi igorlikespike,

I'm glad that it works now. The jsgme files are just there to hide the information in SH3 (I must confess that I'm always tempted to bring up the in-game patrol log to check whether a ship is sunk )

If you only change your *_menu.txt file (like explained in my earlier post), you are already hiding most information.

Concerning your problem with the personal file in SH3 Commander: I tried it on my installation and everything works fine And honestly, I have no idea what in the mod could cause such a problem. Have any other players this problem?

Regards, LGN1
Old 10-20-13, 02:08 PM   #38
periunder
In the Brig

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEs View Post
Interesting. Will download & install.
I'm looking forward to your disappointing review.
periunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-14, 11:11 PM   #39
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Downloads: 124
Default Question

Just downloaded this log editor, very cool.

Got it to work correctly after a few goes I was stuffing up the times in the log and I couldn't get the SH3 commander file to update my personal file but its all good now.

Just one think I am running with merchant fleet mod and there are some ships like the M30B and M40B which are not in the drop down box but when I look in the stock GWX game they are in there to so I just use the medium merchant instead, am I missing something here, how do I get those ships in the drop down box ?

Cheers
Eastwa
Eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 05:03 AM   #40
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwa View Post
Just downloaded this log editor, very cool.

Got it to work correctly after a few goes I was stuffing up the times in the log and I couldn't get the SH3 commander file to update my personal file but its all good now.

Just one think I am running with merchant fleet mod and there are some ships like the M30B and M40B which are not in the drop down box but when I look in the stock GWX game they are in there to so I just use the medium merchant instead, am I missing something here, how do I get those ships in the drop down box ?

Cheers
Eastwa
In the instructions it says to copy your EnglishNames.cfg file from your data/Sea folder and paste it in the same folder as the Log .exe. That way the log will read it and all your in-game ships will be in the log.

However, this is not always so. I hope LGN1 realized this. But not all ships are placed in the EnglishNames file, especially if the ship was added individually and the modder forgot to add it in the englishNames.cfg file, or cared not to do so, like some modders have done over the years. So that method that his .exe uses isn't full proof. A better way would have been searching all the ship .cfg files in the Sea folder and grabbing all the class IDs that way, then extending the list from the EnglishNames.cfg file ships and the ones that are not included in that list, that show the ship class instead of the alternate name. Therefore, he would have all ship title possibilities used in the ship sunk patrol log.

But I did not code it, LGN1 did. So it may be better to ask him. Perhaps v0.6 is to be expected.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-14, 02:23 PM   #41
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi,

areo16 is correct, the names are read from the EnglishNames.cfg file (or GermanNames.cfg depending on the language you use in the editor). Thus, if the file does not include all the ships in your installation, you will not find all the ship names.

When I coded this part I thought about getting the names from SH3 (This would also have the advantage that the corresponding tonnage could directly be inserted and thus, the player would not have to check the tonnage of the ship). However, I decided to leave it like it is now because
  • I wanted to keep it simple. Currently the user does not need to provide the SH3 path, but just has to copy a file
  • I thought everyone has a correct *Names.cfg file
  • The correct ship name is not crucial for the program to work. Your input is judged based on the tonnage and not the ship names (it's only important for SH3 Commander's ship name feature).
Actually, the current way allows a player to add generic entries (small merchant, medium merchant,...) if it is desired (except SH3 Commander's naming would not work properly, s. posts above).

Regards, LGN1
Old 01-20-14, 12:32 AM   #42
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Hi,

areo16 is correct, the names are read from the EnglishNames.cfg file (or GermanNames.cfg depending on the language you use in the editor). Thus, if the file does not include all the ships in your installation, you will not find all the ship names.

When I coded this part I thought about getting the names from SH3 (This would also have the advantage that the corresponding tonnage could directly be inserted and thus, the player would not have to check the tonnage of the ship). However, I decided to leave it like it is now because
  • I wanted to keep it simple. Currently the user does not need to provide the SH3 path, but just has to copy a file
  • I thought everyone has a correct *Names.cfg file
  • The correct ship name is not crucial for the program to work. Your input is judged based on the tonnage and not the ship names (it's only important for SH3 Commander's ship name feature).
Actually, the current way allows a player to add generic entries (small merchant, medium merchant,...) if it is desired (except SH3 Commander's naming would not work properly, s. posts above).

Regards, LGN1
It's understandable how you thought these things. However, this still does not consider the ships that are added to the Sea folder and not the *Names.cfg file.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 02:23 PM   #43
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264

I start to use this program!
But there are still access to captain's log, from 3d interior:

And to protect myself from temptation to look there, I fixed it with s3d:

Now I no longer have access to captain's log.
Old 10-31-14, 04:32 PM   #44
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264

Some observations from me:

Don't type symbol = in comments field! Well, don't put = in any fields. Result is that entirely EntryText will be missing:

When a ship sunk, the navigation officer informed me. But from installation instructions I replace "She's going down!" with "Following plotted course!" to hide the fact of sinking. Well, in every situations by now, this is noticeable for me.
But if I don't have navigation officer in his station, then I don't have any message for sinking ship.
Old 10-31-14, 04:48 PM   #45
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Hi Tycho,

thanks for the feedback. In my private version I also removed the access to the log via the 3d interior. However, in order to avoid compatibility issues with different mods, I did not include any interior files in the mod.

Thanks for the comment about =. How did you find this out? Was there any reason to include =? I guess there are a few characters that can cause problems, e.g., \ / .... You can test this by editing the save-game files directly.

Thanks also for the tip with the navigation officer. Unfortunately, removing him from his station is also annoying. How do you give course and speed commands without him? I use the "Following plotted course!" command quite frequently so in many cases it properly 'hides' the sinking. However, not in all situations Well, it's not a perfect solution, but the best I can think of.

After reading some more historical accounts, my feeling is that the current 'BDU' is quite strict. What are your experiences? Should the 'BDU' be more tolerant concerning over-claiming?

Cheers, LGN1