SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-01-18, 06:36 PM   #1
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Downloads: 169
Uploads: 0
Default Mods not working with JSGME

I'm having some trouble getting mods to work in SH4, as the title suggests. I only have one mod folder inside of the JSGME MODS folder. The mod is supposed to reduce the time it takes to load the deck gun. However, when I go in game, the stock time it takes to load the gun is still in place. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.
StickMasterSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:54 PM   #2
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Hi, a couple of things to check:

1. Have you "activated" the mod using the JSGME application?

2. Check the folder structure of the mod. It should start: "name of mod"/data. If it's different it usually won't work.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 02:36 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi SMS
Open the mod and see if you can see the data folder.
You do not say what the mod is you are using.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 09:24 AM   #4
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMasterSteven View Post
I'm having some trouble getting mods to work in SH4, as the title suggests. I only have one mod folder inside of the JSGME MODS folder. The mod is supposed to reduce the time it takes to load the deck gun. However, when I go in game, the stock time it takes to load the gun is still in place. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.
C:\
.... make a folder on your C:\ or D:\ drive to install SH4 into:

C:\GAMES\
.... install SH4 in here:

C:\GAMES\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific
.... put JSGME, & its MODS folder in here where sh4.exe & Data folder are:
C:\GAMES\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\JSGME
C:\GAMES\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS <--- Mods go in here

C:\GAMES\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data
C:\GAMES\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\sh4.exe
-
The Mod should go in the MODS follder.
Its file structure should look like this:
Mod name: 'Faster Deck Gun' or whatever:
\MODS\Faster Deck Gun\
\MODS\Faster Deck Gun\Data
.... Inside the Mod's \Data folder are the folders & files that make the Mod work.

Be sure the Mod is un-zipped so it is just the Mod folder; Faster Deck Gun
Un- zip it to your desktop and drag the 'Faster Deck Gun' folder into your MODS folder.

In the 'Faster Deck Gun' folder should be a Data folder. In some rare cases the Mod is double wrapped:
\Faster Deck Gun\Faster Deck Gun\Data
If it is, just open it and drag the Faster Deck Gun (in bold above) that has the Data folder in it.

If the mod is not zipped but is a RAR or 7z archive you can get 7z for free. It will unzip Zip's, RAR's & 7z archives:
https://www.7-zip.org/7z.html

If you didn't install SH4 to a folder other than Program files(86) you should re-install or copy the entire install to a folder on the C: drive you make.

If this is a Steam install there are instructions on Peter's pages that explain how to configure SH4 on Steam:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=219029

Be sure to learn about using JSGME and make a 'Snapshot' before you install any Mods.

Hopefully you have the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific v1.5 U-Boat Missions add-on or Gold edition.

Good luck & Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 07-02-18 at 09:43 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 08:40 AM   #5
petros13
Swabbie

Downloads: 143

This is no Abracadabra or Hocus Pocus, and it has been described dozens of times.
Disk "C" is basically a system disk, so you should rather leave it for the system and he already knows what to install and what to reject ... =?
I installed it: SH 4; UBM 1.5; great "http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=5298" and necessarily laa - I had graphics problems without it

Here in PDF my wonderful installation: "https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18kaabeEgFbcXe7VrOr2anF9dIC-DL8Un?usp=sharing" - of course without (")

Regards,
Piotr First
Nervous
PS. I apologize for the British hopeless scribbling, my native rustling tongue is really difficult for translation heheheheeeeeeeee!

Last edited by petros13; 07-06-18 at 09:07 AM.
petros13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 02:45 AM   #6
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Restarting this thread because I just got back into this game but am still having the same problem. Followed all instructions, Faster Deck Gun mod is in JSGME's MODS folder (also unzipped), appears in the JSGME program, activated, doesn't work.

One thing to note is that I did have to disable high DPI scaling to get the game to work properly (not sure if this would have an effect on mods but I put it here anyways).

Sorry for the abruptness of this post. Please ask if you need any more details.
Old 02-16-19, 03:00 AM   #7
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Restarting this thread because I just got back into this game but am still having the same problem. Followed all instructions, Faster Deck Gun mod is in JSGME's MODS folder (also unzipped), appears in the JSGME program, activated, doesn't work.

One thing to note is that I did have to disable high DPI scaling to get the game to work properly (not sure if this would have an effect on mods but I put it here anyways).

Open JSGME and post here please..
Read here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...75&postcount=9
Old 02-16-19, 07:07 AM   #8
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:

Be sure that all folders, sub-folders, and files are not set to Read Only. Right click on the base folder where you installed the game (i.e. Silent_Hunter_IV or whatever you called it). Select properties, UNCHECK the Read Only box, then CHECK the "Subfolders and Files" box. Click on Apply. It will take a few minutes to complete the process. That should allow JSGME to apply the mod properly. Worked for me, anyway. Good Luck.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 11:29 AM   #9
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

I'm sorry ... Forgive me StickMasterSeven
But you asked a question any days ago .. We/Other users have been answered because want help you..... we asked for more information but..then you disappeared OK no problem....real life is real life.... But now you came back .. again same question ... again from our specific requests .... again you disappear .........
Old 02-16-19, 11:59 AM   #10
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Here's the mod list I tried using:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5 (1)
Websters_Selected_New_Sou.5 (1)
Real_Environment_mod
Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun for v1.5

On the read-only solution (posted by torpedobait):

I click each mod folder and un-check read-only. However, if I go back to the SH4 install folder and go back to the folder that I just un-checked as read-only, the box is re-checked.

To show you what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/nnOJSgr

These pictures should show you what I'm going through. Again, if more details are needed, please ask.

Last edited by StickMasterSteven; 02-16-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 08:53 PM   #11
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're copying the \Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun for v1.5 folder into the \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\MODS\ folder, then changing the read/write permission in THAT folder?

FYI, the way JGMSE works is;
1. Read the files in the mod folder.
2. Make a backup copy of all the files in the \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\ folder that will be overwritten by the files in the mod that's being activated.
3. Copy the mod files into the game folder, overwriting the original files with the new ones.

When you deactivate a mod, it merely copies the backup into the game folder, overwriting the current files with the copies of the original files, restoring the default.

So if there's an actual problem with read/write privilege, you need to disable read-only from the folders JGMSE is copying the mod INTO, not the folder it's copying the mod OUT OF.

I suspect your actual problem is understanding what it does and what's needed - the description says it changes the load time from 4 seconds to 2 seconds, and the fastest load speed is dependent on having the crewmen in the slots for that gun, and the crew has a reasonably high gunnery skill.

A quick check, browse to your \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Library folder, set the folder to View, Details, Choose Details, check the box for "Date Modified" on. If the JGSME transfer is working, some of the file dates should change when you activate/deactivate that type of mod (most of the weapons data is in the \Library folder or one of the subfolders in that, check the mod folder itself to find the actual path and filename if it isn't obvious).

Another option is to download Silent 3ditor;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4489

and make your own mod, setting the reload time in the (for example) Deck_Gun_5_25.sim from 2.0 seconds to 0.1 second or whatever feels crazy.

What I do is copy the original file to a backup, then mod the file in the game folder so I can leave the S3d utility open while testing the settings in the game. When it looks good, I copy the changed file to a mod folder, and the original from the backup to restore the default.

Always make backups before modding anything, I've been playing with computers for 40 years so I hardly ever use JGSME myself - I'm so used to making backups and moving files around manually I generally do it that way without thinking about it.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-19, 09:32 PM   #12
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Yeah I'm not terribly smart when it comes to these things. The MODS folder wasn't within the data folder though.

I'm just going to reinstall the game and JSGME instead of fooling with it trying to get it to work when in reality I'm probably just making the problem worse.
Old 02-17-19, 04:59 AM   #13
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi SMS
With Webster's mods he often uses a lot of folders in folders.
When you unzip the file the folder you are looking at is not the mod folder, this is because he often has options for the mod or maybe different versions for SH4 v1.4 and v1.5.
With his deck gun mod when you open this first folder you will be presented with another 2 folders which are optional choices.
These folders contain the mod and only one of these should be enabled in JSGME.

When you have mods disabled in JSGME just right click on each one and select explore.
If you can see the data folder then you know that this mod will work once it is enabled.
If you cannot see the data folder then then go to the mods folder, open the mod, cut and paste the mod, delete the original folder.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 01:50 PM   #14
StickMasterSteven
Watch

Thanks. I'll have a look at reinstalling the mods when I get a chance.
Old 02-17-19, 02:31 PM   #15
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Here's the mod list I tried using:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5 (1)
Websters_Selected_New_Sou.5 (1)
Real_Environment_mod
Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun for v1.5

On the read-only solution (posted by torpedobait):

I click each mod folder and un-check read-only. However, if I go back to the SH4 install folder and go back to the folder that I just un-checked as read-only, the box is re-checked.

To show you what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/nnOJSgr

These pictures should show you what I'm going through. Again, if more details are needed, please ask.

One thing to note is that even after unchecking the Read Only box as you have done going back to the properties page will always show a shading in the Read Only box. That does not mean the files are again set to Read Only! If you get the message that the file or folder status has been reset, it has been.

Did you try reactivating the desired mods after running the Read Only reset? That's the only way to know it worked.

You are getting a lot of info from people who want to help, and I certainly don't want to add to any confusion. If it is of any use, these are the basic steps I use for a new SH4 v1.5 (with UBoat missions) install:

1. Delete the existing game folder;
2. Delete the SH4 folder from "My Documents";
3. Reinstall SH4 v1.5 to any folder other than Program FIles (I use D:\Ubisoft\Silent_Hunter_IV);
4. Add a folder named "MODS" to the base SH4 folder (see #3);
5. Change the Properties of the base SH4 folder, including all sub-folders and files), to turn off Read Only;
6. Make a JSGME Shortcut for your Desktop and change its Properties to show the Target Location is where your JSGME.exe is located, and change the Target to start in your SH4 base folder, where the MODS folder is located;
7. Extract the mods you want to use into the MODS folder; to be safe I also undo the Read Only feature on all mods;
8. Run JSGME (which should now show the available mods you extracted) and activate the desired mods.

It should be ready to go at this point. I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote