SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-08, 06:09 PM   #1
Karsta
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Player and AI sub co-operation

I was wondering if this could be done: I'd like one side's AI subs to surface at certain predetermined times in order to share their link data. Of course it would be nice if AI commander could judge the situation and not surface during a battle or when near hostile surface units. Main reason for this is to make it look like there's at least some co-operation between player and AI subs.

Thanks in advance.
Karsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 10:56 AM   #2
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

When the times are predetermined it's pretty easy. Just use an automatic trigger to mark the time and tie it to a script that sets the depth for a couple minutes. As a precaution, you may also want to have doctrine language tied to the trigger that tests for weapons in the water, or any other conditions under which you think the AI subs should not link.
Old 05-19-08, 12:21 PM   #3
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsta
I was wondering if this could be done: I'd like one side's AI subs to surface at certain predetermined times in order to share their link data
Did you check out, if you really need this? I think, at least LWAMI, has a built in doctrine that let the sub go to comms, if there's no (detected) enemy in the area.
Old 05-20-08, 07:12 PM   #4
Karsta
Nub

Downloads: 0

Thanks Molon Labe. Getting subs to comms depth at certain intervals proved rather easy as you said. Problem is that subs don't necessary link even when in surface. I tried it few times (with Victor III) and sometimes it worked and sometimes not. Any idea what could cause this?

Also I didn't find any doctrine command that allows testing for weapons in water. I just recently started playing with mission editor, so it might be that I'm missing something completely obvious, but please bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66
I think, at least LWAMI, has a built in doctrine that let the sub go to comms, if there's no (detected) enemy in the area.
I'm not sure if that is enough. My reasoning is that they should go to comms even when in contact so they can direct other subs to target. Scenario is about Russian subs operating without any surface support, so they must go to comms at the same time.
Karsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:23 PM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

If you're trying to get AI to link to each other, they are actually on the link persisetently, even when underwater. Yeah, I know. I don't know what would cause them not to link normally to a human player though, except if they're not shallow enough. It generally works (I've definitely done it successfully with AI 688Is and Delta IVs).

You can find the weapons in the mission editor under the "Civilian" category, in triggers such as approach triggers.