SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-09, 11:57 AM   #1
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3
Default How long is the ideal multiplayer mission?

How long does the ideal multiplayer mission last? I'm building a multiplayer mission in a S. American setting that's about 40 by 40 nautical miles of search and destroy area. The sub needs to kill and then escape past a boundary about 20 nautical miles away. Assuming it takes 1-2 hours to make the kill and then another 2 hours to transverse to the finish line we're looking at about 3-4 hours of gameplay... is that too long?

Last edited by LoBlo; 03-01-09 at 01:56 PM.
LoBlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 12:35 AM   #2
gslice2120
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

negative, i played a 6 hour game once
gslice2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:40 AM   #3
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslice2120
negative, i played a 6 hour game once
Yep ... once ... but thats certainly not the rule and most players wouldn't be able to do that, due to RL time constraints.

Generally speaking 3-4 hrs is considered to be tops. Around 2 hrs were most of the games I played ... tho sometimes stretching into the 3-4 hrs range.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 03:55 PM   #4
suBB
Chief

Downloads: 5

Hey,

I dunno if you have seen this or not, but the following are links to public releases(as working examples) since 2007 of what you are doing now… hope it helps…

Conflicting interest v1.00 -

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107019

3MP beta –

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=129357

Conflicting interest was our 1st attempt at dynamic mission objective MP, which includes transiting and the requirement of reaching safe distance unharmed. CI includes(among other things) both directional and two-way transiting, but it sounds like what you are doing is two-way transiting.

3MP beta is part of a 688 strike mission spanning over 3 maps. Basically more of the same w/ variation but the design technique is more refined, simplified and accurate than before. I’m canceling this project for LWAMI and will restart this project to support RA mod only…

After a couple of years of testing, 4.5 hrs does work, but only with the right people involved. The best thing to do is start a poll and find your audience for the design.

Really, you don’t even need to go that far, just ask fellow players their opinion and take it from there. Either way, even a longer scenario wouldn’t be a problem as long as everyone involved are in agreement.

Personally I wouldn’t mind a 6 hour scenario, it’s just that I really don’t have as much time as I would like to have these days. I would even design a 6-hour scenario if I knew people would play it. Hopefully that will change when RA is released.

Good luck, enjoy

Last edited by suBB; 03-11-09 at 06:28 PM.
suBB is offline   Reply With Quote