Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-18, 02:11 PM   #1
TonyPet
Nub

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default What is the best configuration?

Hello,

I've been using WoS on Steam and it works great but I see some very vivid and much improved configurations on YouTube. (Example: )

Apparently the above setup does not use WoS and seems to be much improved from a user interface and graphics perspective.

I know you need to be careful in adding mods to WoS and it appears to be more or less trial and error.

I'd like to hear some recommendations or at least point me to a good post for more information.

Thanks

TonyP
TonyPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-18, 02:41 PM   #2
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPet View Post
Hello,

I've been using WoS on Steam and it works great but I see some very vivid and much improved configurations on YouTube. (Example: )

Apparently the above setup does not use WoS and seems to be much improved from a user interface and graphics perspective.

I know you need to be careful in adding mods to WoS and it appears to be more or less trial and error.

I'd like to hear some recommendations or at least point me to a good post for more information.

Thanks

TonyP
What you are seeing is an SH5 movie when it first came out .. this is the reason WHY WOS & other MODS were created. I Suggest Enjoy without tinkering

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-18, 03:39 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

TWoS is likely the best mod for SH5 done to this day, but it does not reflect what the game was when it came out.
It starts with the tutorial that has been taken out, the progress bar system taken out so you don't have to sink x tonnage to advance, the in-game map looks different, there are menu dialogues for the crew etc. etc.

So if you watch old videos just remember there was a time without these improvements...Just a basic hull...

Currently I'm putting together some minimal mods just to see what this basic hull was about...Some gaming archeology if you want...Nothing to write home because CTDs will end my journey fast as soon as I add interesting stuff...A reason why a good modlist for SH5 should contain about 30-40 entries (to respond to your title question), a paradise for mod addictors, a nightmare for gaming archeologists

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-31-18 at 04:10 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-18, 08:50 PM   #4
TonyPet
Nub

The subject video was has an attached mod list in the author's comment section which led me to believe this was a "highly modded" version of the original game without WoS. I was in the process of downloading the mods in his list in an attempt to duplicate this video. But if I understand your comments this is a waste of time? Your recommendation is to stick with WoS.

Thank you for the quick responses.
Old 07-31-18, 09:24 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

If you install TWoS you will save a lot of trouble and can start to play.
Otherwise the alternatives are very complicated but will include important mods that correct bugs in the game.

Here is a rough modlist order that you could use:

Accurate German Flags
No_Damn_Bubbles_No_Damn_Halo_Mod

... (other realism mods that don't interfere in campaign or gui)

FX_Update_0_0_22_ByTheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_22_Torpedoes (modified for torpedoes failure patches)
TDW_NewUIs_7_5_0
TDW_NewUIs_7_5_0 (dependent mods)

... (try to pick complete automation features for TDW_NewUIs and all the Sjizzle's Charts)

OPEN HORIZONS II v2.5
OH II v2.5 Grid Request fix Patch SH5
OHII v2.5 - No Stupid Tonnage Bar_Free Style Campaign v0.1_NewUIs v7.5.0

----------------------
All this should work decently, the last mod (no stupid tonnage bar) is important because as for my current testing OH2 is not working good without it.

I hope this helps, cheers,
Old 07-31-18, 10:40 PM   #6
TonyPet
Nub

I will try your mod list.

I assume this is to a clean install without WoS installed?
I assume this will work on a Steam install?
I assume the list addresses all the known bugs?
Thanks again for taking the time to explain all this.
Tony P
Old 08-01-18, 06:54 AM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Icon11

Quote:

Tony P

Yes, without TWoS. But before installing these mods via JSGME you must:

Update your installed game to version 1.2.0 if not done already;
Apply the TDW Generic Patcher as for Peter THEBERBSTER's Tutorial #2 (see sticky posts). This one is a MUST-DO, but Steam installs may have trouble with this one, there are workarounds, one is this (Only Steam installs!):
First install TWoS which will do this TDW patch correctly, then take all the files described in Perter's tutorial and save them on your HD somewhere safe. Now if you insist to play without TWoS you would have to re-install the game, start with v.1.20, copy the backup files, then installing the mods I talk about.

After applying the TDW Generic Patch, you can install these mods. The TDW NewUIs is optional, but highly recommended for a much better game interface.

"Adresses all the bugs"? Dear, I wish it was so
I would say my rough mod list is 95% stable, you won't get CTDs all hours around.

Then, apart TWoS there is another megamod: It's Sober's Megamod which has a complete campaign. Read the sticky thread for it.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 08-01-18 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 09:12 AM   #8
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

Quote:

Tony P

It is awesome that you are willing to duplicate what you have seen. however, I still advocate using something as simple as using WOS . to this date since installed and I have been playing for a very long time with a huge menu of mods before. WOS has never CTD my game. WOS is an executable file one click and you have a few things to do afterward and yes it will work with a steam version, but you must read carefully. actually, since many mods were built on a non-steam version copy OF sh5. Unless you read direction.s carefully you will have issues -- ENJOY !!

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote