SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sonalysts Combat Sims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
Polak2
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 137
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default Counter detection.

Perhaps silly question, but what is the meaning of "we have been counter detected" in that 1st 688 mission? That is also one of the tasks of the mission.
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 AM   #2
Pirate
Engineer
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oeiras, PORTUGAL
Posts: 208
Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0
Default

It's because you have been detected, discovered...
__________________
Pirate is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #3
Polak2
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 137
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
It's because you have been detected, discovered...
....and that would be one of the tasks of the mission?
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Nippelspanner
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,249
Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
....and that would be one of the tasks of the mission?
No. To stay undetected is, logically.
Nippelspanner is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
FPSchazly
The One and Only
 
FPSchazly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 490
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

I believe it affects some of the following missions as to whether or not you were detected.
__________________
My First Cold Waters Playthrough
All Dangerous Waters Videos

This is my fault, but it's pronounced F-P-S chazly
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Polak2
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 137
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

There are 4 mission goals in this assignment, following by the status of its accomplishments som 2 hrs into the mission:
critical
arrive at finish line:incomplete
go to PD:complete
non-critical
counter-detect:complete
out of Training Area: incomplete

Counter detect mission status changed to complete as soon as i have received message "you have been counter-detected"

so, are you saying that to accomplish this mission fully and successfully that 1st non-critical goal of counter detection should be always remaining as incomplete to the end?
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
Nippelspanner
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,249
Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0


Default

Correct.
I know it is very misleading, but that's how Jane's and later Sonalysts did it, always.
Never liked it either.

The non-criticals are often (mis-)used as a "status" check so to speak.
Nippelspanner is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Polak2
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 137
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Thank you for this clarification. Yes, i also think that this particularly task was little "foggy" .

Anyways, thanks to going through this mission with some attention to detail, I have noticed and now realise that sonar ping from one of the patrolling Spruances has suddenly changed its sound from longer ping to much shorter with some sort of reverb (bounce) on the end. That possibly was the moment they nailed me as it reminded me sound of the torpedo sonar ping just before impact from some other missions played in the past.

DW has some rough edges, but also it is very deep (no obvious pun intended), complex and involving simulation. Just those decade old and by today's standard "outdated" graphics.....
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
Nippelspanner
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,249
Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0


Default

Dangerous Waters can be very deep and demanding, absolutely, especially if one wants to master sonar, TMA and most importantly: Situational awareness.

Are you playing vanilla, or with the Reinforce Alert mod?

In case of RA, be aware that vanilla missions - like the campaigns - are basically broken due to drastic sensor-range changes and other things.
However, the vanilla campaign is silly and boring anyways, in this department the game fails heavily, in my opinion.

Regarding the pings, you observed that right.
The pings will, depending on the source, always sound exactly the same, so you can quickly learn to differentiate them. Torpedo-pings are higher pitched and shorter, surface vessel pings are the loooong ones that will annoy you heavily sooner or later and submarine pings you'll hardly ever hear for obvious reasons, but it can happen and sounds also very different.
Nippelspanner is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #10
FPSchazly
The One and Only
 
FPSchazly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 490
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Dangerous Waters can be very deep and demanding, absolutely, especially if one wants to master sonar, TMA and most importantly: Situational awareness.

Are you playing vanilla, or with the Reinforce Alert mod?

In case of RA, be aware that vanilla missions - like the campaigns - are basically broken due to drastic sensor-range changes and other things.
However, the vanilla campaign is silly and boring anyways, in this department the game fails heavily, in my opinion.

Regarding the pings, you observed that right.
The pings will, depending on the source, always sound exactly the same, so you can quickly learn to differentiate them. Torpedo-pings are higher pitched and shorter, surface vessel pings are the loooong ones that will annoy you heavily sooner or later and submarine pings you'll hardly ever hear for obvious reasons, but it can happen and sounds also very different.
Submarine pings in RA always get my heart racing because something is usually seconds away from going down haha and they have such a drastically different noise from the other pings.
__________________
My First Cold Waters Playthrough
All Dangerous Waters Videos

This is my fault, but it's pronounced F-P-S chazly
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #11
Nippelspanner
Ocean Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,249
Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Submarine pings in RA always get my heart racing because something is usually seconds away from going down haha and they have such a drastically different noise from the other pings.
Same here Chazly. First time I heard it I panicked, but since I'm no scrub/n00b like you, I managed to survive and sink the enemy.

 


Be more aggressive!

Nippelspanner is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
FPSchazly
The One and Only
 
FPSchazly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 490
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Same here Chazly. First time I heard it I panicked, but since I'm no scrub/n00b like you, I managed to survive and sink the enemy.

 


Be more aggressive!

Ouch. Shots fired lol
__________________
My First Cold Waters Playthrough
All Dangerous Waters Videos

This is my fault, but it's pronounced F-P-S chazly
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
Wildcat
Engineer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 214
Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default

Sub pings sure do get your heart rate up, especially if you weren't expecting them.

I'm trying to find a way to make different ping sounds emit from each active sonar array but it seems this aspect is hard coded into the sound engine.

In the meantime though, you can check the active intercept frequency to look up the vessel that just pinged you, sort of like the ESM station's identification mechanism.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 AM   #14
Polak2
Electrician's Mate
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 137
Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
In the meantime though, you can check the active intercept frequency to look up the vessel that just pinged you, sort of like the ESM station's identification mechanism.
Where can I find active intercept frequency data?
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
FPSchazly
The One and Only
 
FPSchazly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 490
Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
Where can I find active intercept frequency data?
The included frequency sheets (Stock, LwAmi, and RA) all have this data. RA has active intercept data that's more specific than just "torpedo, surface ship, submarine".
__________________
My First Cold Waters Playthrough
All Dangerous Waters Videos

This is my fault, but it's pronounced F-P-S chazly
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1997- 2017 Subsim