SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-16, 02:59 PM   #166
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon12 Fake friggin' Blackwalls

An upgrade from 18th century East Iindiamen, armed and painted to look like men o' war, were the lighter built Blackwall frigates and used in the India Australia trade from the 1850's , as the need for heavy armaments declined. Blackwall frigate was the colloquial name for a type of three-masted full-rigged ship built between the late 1830s and the mid-1870's at Blackwall yard on the Thames.. Over 120 Blackwall frigates were built by British and Indian yards. The Blackwall frigate had a single gallery and was so named partly because it was superficially similar in appearance to a frigate of the Royal Navy. With only a single gallery, the hull-lines at the stern could be very fine and combined with relatively fine underwater lines at the bow, Blackwall frigates were fast sailing ships, although not as fast as the clipper ships that appeared in the late 1840s. Another feature of early Blackwall frigates was a highly rounded hull at the bow above the waterline. HMS Nothfleet- note 11 ports on side- some Blackwalls had up to 15 on a side..<enlarges: having already posted an Indiaman in this thread, I tracked this under 'painted gunports on merchantmen' etc> leading, ultimately, to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwall_frigate Essentially an era of evolving mixed design: clippers; Blackwalls Frigates; 'semiclippers'; and 'windjammers'... http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66808.html HMS ‘Seringapatam’ (11 ports-although some etchings show 15?? ) At this scale, the model represents a ship measuring 152 feet in length by 25 feet in the beam and an approximate 900 tons. 'Although the name would suggest an armed fighting vessel, the Blackwall frigates were sailing merchantmen built between 1837 and 1869 for the Indian trade following the expiration of the East India Company’s exclusive charter in 1833.'

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-22-16 at 07:26 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 07:20 AM   #167
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Your alright Aktungbby I don't care what Neal said about you

Thanks for the information, precise and timely
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 04:47 PM   #168
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon8 How did this get left out?!!

Thank's CaptainMurphy! http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=225721 HMS Trincomalee frigate Built of teak due to oak shortages in Britain, in Bombay India,1817, and named for a famous naval engagement HMS Trincomalee holds the distinction of being the oldest British warship still afloat as HMS Victory, although 52 years her senior, is in dry dock. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartlepool%27s_Maritime_Experience Turn-of-the-century British maritime artist, Henry Scott Tuke who's works have come back into vogue, often used the vessel in his works: "All Hands to the Pumps"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-25-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-26-16, 02:02 AM   #169
Delanski
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 116

She's a beauty

Delanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 01:50 PM   #170
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
EASTINDIAMAN GÖTHEBORG III (I hope the bridge-man is on duty)
If you are interested its for sale The Foundation East Indiaman Götheborg have put it up for sale

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 03:33 PM   #171
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

I'm interested but where am I going to find 80 sailors and moor it! My marina(we ran aground a month ago!) is too shallow and she takes 5.2 metres draft!(Sigh) gotta love those well spliced mainbraces!

Old 06-04-16, 06:15 AM   #172
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
The scene depicts a harsh hard life doesn't it? I would've rather ship out and have been at sea in those old days.

I was more interested in what kind of ship she was more than the name.

Three mast with what looks like 11 gun ports ... one clue is that this is now a Russian submarine base. Must have important defense capabilites, uh?
Not actually gun ports, it was an old trick to paint merchants like men of war to hopefully scare off marauders. She looks to be a three masted barque, most likely a whaler or cargo vessel.
U505995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-16, 07:37 AM   #173
Saltback
Seaman

Downloads: 213
Default Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The Dutch vessel Europa
If this was My Ship Them Sails would be nicely pressed.
Old 06-04-16, 10:43 AM   #174
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome back

Saltback!

Old 06-05-16, 07:02 AM   #175
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltback View Post
Best if you address that issue with the wife

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-16, 09:54 AM   #176
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltback View Post
NO Need the wind'll do it!JUST FOR Catfish Seen here on Lake Superior..headed for Duluth MN??!!-one of few tall ships to use 'stud' sails and hit ten knots! JUST looks 'bygone era good!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-05-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-05-16, 10:01 AM   #177
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Oosterschelde three-masted schooner

Old 06-07-16, 06:21 PM   #178
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default This was a pity!

HMS IMPLACABLE Téméraire-class ship-of-the-line & boy's training ship Originally the French 74 ship-of-the-line Duguay-Trouin; Present at Trafalgar, she escaped only to be captured one month later in 1805; and was the second oldest British warship after HMS VICTORY. In 1908 King Edward VII intervened to save the ship. Seen flying Lord Nelson's famous flag signal on Trafalgar Day 1943 >the Admiralty scuttled her by an explosive charge on 2 December 1949. A fireboat towed her to a spot east of the Isle of Wight; A French warship was in attendance to render honours. There were heavy protests against her disposal; however, given the post-War austerity the British decided against the cost of her restoration, which was estimated at £150,000 with another £50,000 for re-rigging. In 1947 they had offered her to the French, who too declined to spend the money to turn her into a museum. Still, her figurehead and stern galleries were saved and are on display in the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich, while her capstan is on display at the maritime museum at Rochefort. Public reaction to the "criminal action against the maritime history of Britain" forced the government to support the preservation of Cutty Sark. Those who wanted to save historic ships saw that they must organise themselves more effectively. A few years later, they managed (yet again with royal help, from Prince Philip) to save the old tea-clipper Cutty Sark and preserve her in a dry-dock at Greenwich. In 1970 the Maritime Trust was founded, followed in 1979 by the World Ship Trust which is now restoring over 400 historic vessels and has three times as many on its books. The motto of the World Ship Trust is “Implacable – Never Again”. wiki

Last edited by Aktungbby; 06-07-16 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 05:15 PM   #179
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Sea Cloud. Built under the Gibbs & Cox brand, it was designed by the naval architect Philip L. Rhodes. The yacht was originally christened as Hussar V in April 1931 in Kiel, Germany during the dephts of the Great Depression, and was a commision of financier E. F. Hutton and his wife Marjorie Merriweather Post. Years later, and after their divorce, Mr. Hutton transferred the ship to his ex wife and it was registered under the new name, Sea Cloud. In the subsequent years the ship served as floating American embassy in the Soviet Union, and in 1942 was chartered to the US Navy. At the end of the war the ship returned to her original owner, and was restored to her original condition. In 1955 Marjorie Merriweather decided to put the ship up for sale. Since then the Sea Cloud has passed through several owners, each time christened with various names until 1978 when she was converted in a small luxury cruise ship and was again renamed Sea Cloud.

This great night photo of the ship was recently taken in the port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, just in the same place where the SS United States was docked on her visit to the Spanish island on December 31, 1968.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 02:13 AM   #180
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon14 Talk about black, white... and gray here

^MS Post was the driving force behind Hussar's décor, furnishing, and favored a black hull;
Quote:
The United States was pulled into the war by the attack of the Japanese on Pearl Harbor at the end of 1941. Shortly thereafter, the Navy started acquiring private yachts to strengthen the fleet and began to outfit them to patrol, search for submarines, and monitor weather.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who was a close friend of diplomat Davies, (Ms post's Husband) at first rejected "military service" for the SEA CLOUD on the grounds that the yacht was too beautiful for such a deployment. But by 1942 the USA could no longer afford this kind of nicety. Symbolically chartered for one dollar, the Coast Guard took over the SEA CLOUD, removed the masts and bowsprit and had the boat painted grey.
Not much was left of the impressive luxury yacht. Outfitted with guns and anti-submarine weapons, she cruised the waters around the Azores and south Greenland under the name IX-99. As a floating weather station, the ship sent current data to Arlington, Virginia every four hours.
USS IX-99 This is an account of the USS Sea Cloud, IX 99, which became an experiment in racial integration aboard U. S. naval vessels from December, 1943 to November, 1944. http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/Carlton_Skinner.asp

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-01-16 at 02:26 AM.