SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-21-15, 09:51 AM   #1
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default War of Rights

War of Rights is a multiplayer game set during the perilous days of the American Civil War, in the Maryland Campaign of September, 1862

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../war-of-rights

I think it looks quite impressive and come first of the month, I'll be making a contribution.

Anyone else interested?
Old 10-21-15, 12:52 PM   #2
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Interesting idea, and a good idea for schools, but FPS style games of pre-WWII may struggle to adapt the FPS mentality to the tactics of the time.

Take for example Napoleonic Wars, a mod for Mount and Blade, a lovely mod, but unless you form up an online squad the likelihood of you engaging in a Napoleonic era line battle is incredibly low. It does sometimes happen, I recall an excellent defence in a 'Capture the Fort' map which involved a room of British soldiers in a two rank line which worked brilliantly until a well aimed howitzer shell killed us all.

But, if they put in a single player side to it then it will work out well.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 01:50 PM   #3
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Interesting idea, and a good idea for schools, but FPS style games of pre-WWII may struggle to adapt the FPS mentality to the tactics of the time.

Take for example Napoleonic Wars, a mod for Mount and Blade, a lovely mod, but unless you form up an online squad the likelihood of you engaging in a Napoleonic era line battle is incredibly low. It does sometimes happen, I recall an excellent defence in a 'Capture the Fort' map which involved a room of British soldiers in a two rank line which worked brilliantly until a well aimed howitzer shell killed us all.

But, if they put in a single player side to it then it will work out well.
I think something you're overlooking is that this game is designed from the get-go to be what it is - it's not a mod. Plus, people going into it know what it's about - they're playing it because they want to play that kind of thoughtful FPS. So I don't see a problem at all with that happening.

You might also have noticed there appeared in the game some sort of indicator ala the Total War games of a formation placed on the ground by the Officer when they engaged the formation of Rebels on the hill. So it appears there may be game mechanics in-place to facilitate Napoleonic tactics.

I, too, played that Mount and Blade mod - which is what has me interested in this as it was quite fun!
Old 10-21-15, 02:55 PM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

It really depends on the game's community. I've played a Half-Life 2 mod based on the Napoleonic Wars once where people did in fact go into servers, line up in ad-hoc formations, fired a few volleys and then charged with bayonets. The amount of players in that was much fewer than M&B's hordes of uncoordinated masses, of course, but it's theoretically possible for a game to develop a community that plays it...err, as it should be.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15, 03:05 PM   #5
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I've had my eye on War of Rights for sometime now and it looks really good, considering the massive lack of Civil War era third/first person shooters, there was at one point a mod for Mount and Blade Warband called North and South which was quite good but it's dead. @Oberon There is a single player mod set during the Napoleonic Wars called L'Agile (The Eagle), it's still in the Alpha stage of development but I've tried it out and it's much better then NW.
Old 10-22-15, 06:08 AM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
@Oberon There is a single player mod set during the Napoleonic Wars called L'Agile (The Eagle), it's still in the Alpha stage of development but I've tried it out and it's much better then NW.
Danke for the heads up and link, I shall have to have a looksie.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-15, 10:50 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

I can see this as a platform on which clans can go up against each other, but on public servers I can't see this working very well.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-15, 01:45 PM   #8
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
I can see this as a platform on which clans can go up against each other, but on public servers I can't see this working very well.
I agree with this 100%.

The best thing about playing online is you get to play with other people. The worst thing about playing online is you have to play with other people...

As for the actual game, the graphics look fantastic and if people were doing proper re-enactment type battles I would be quite interested.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-15, 06:50 PM   #9
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

+1
It could be great... but people are people.
Old 10-26-15, 09:56 PM   #10
AngusJS
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 62

Thanks for sharing this. I might have to put up some money for this.

I loved Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars, and I hope this will be even better.
AngusJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 01:30 AM   #11
Highbury
The Old Man

Digging up an old thread here, but I see no need to make a new one.

It seems like my pessimism about people playing a game like this online was unfounded. This game seems to be shaping up pretty well with a community that likes to play it "properly".

Footage is still Alpha.

Has anyone here taken the plunge and supported this title?

Last edited by Highbury; 03-20-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 08:15 PM   #12
zachanscom
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 2

i always support titles like this because unlike the ****tards who blab on and on about how games are being watered down and pandering to the masses, i don't then turn around and spend money on garbage like battlefield, call of duty, assassins creed, etc. i put my money where my mouth is. supported this, don't regret it one bit. but it has a long way to go. the movement and animation transitions are way too stiff for playability, they will also need to ananchor the view when moving from standing to crouching because it makes no sense as the head can still move independently when crouching or kneeling.
zachanscom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 04:54 PM   #13
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

That is one of the problems with multi-player cooperative games. They require a level of cooperation, coordination, and team work that may not be common with video game players.

The common denominator in a lot of video games is that the player is the hero, not one of the nameless minions. That's why I prefer single player games.

IF you can get a group of friends to commit to the game
IF you can garner a teamwork relationship where not every one is the hero
IF you can agree on a chain of command
IF you can practice tactics

It might work out

IF you can find an opposing team that does the same

A lotta IFs

But it can happen. When it does happen, it must be awesome. I fear that it does not happen often. At least not in my experience with MMORPGs
Old 04-16-18, 11:45 AM   #14
Highbury
The Old Man

The mechanics of the game do promote team play. There are no individual scores or ranking, you win or lose as a team. Staying in formation gives a minor bonus to things like rifle-sway. It also uses a "ticket" system, and dying in formation costs your team less tickets than it does if you are alone.

You of course still have people who don't pay attention, but for the most part people do work together.

Alot of the videos you see are from staged events for filming, but this one is from last night in a public battle (although there are large parts of II Corps CSA and my unit, 1st Texas Infantry.) Shows a bit more what actual gameplay is like.

It is still very early Alpha, and it is fairly expensive to buy your way into playing at this time ($69 USD) so server populations can be quite small other than peak times for Eastern/Central NA.