SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-11, 06:59 AM   #31
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Dark Wraith:

This is a very imaginative mod - great work! - and I have downloaded it for testing.

Quote:
Now what I'm really curious to know is the result of using this with a mod that has improved the damage model (like NYGM, GWX, etc.). The reason is because of the way I made it work should cause flooding on the vessel also besides damage (HP loss). In theory a couple large fires in SH3 with improved damage model could cause the ship to sink due to flooding over time. Can anyone confirm this?
I tested it in a standard NYGM test single-mission, June 1945, surrounded by stationary merchants of different types. Unfortunately, in June 1945, even the IXD2 lacks a deck-gun. However the ships can be torpedoed without ever firing back.

It is very difficult to be sure whether a torpedoed ship, which has been set on fire, sinks slowly due to torpedo damage, or due to the added effect of your fire mod. What I found was that only three burning ships (out of 8 survivors; another four sank quickly anyway) sank between 24 and 72 hours after being torpedoed, while one burning ship had not sunk after 5 days afloat. I would expect in this test that most ships would sink within 01 - 36 hours as a result of slow sinking. Survivors after 36 hours would not sink at all.

So the results are very ambiguous. Essentially two burning ships sank when I would not have expected them to do so, and one burning ship survived five days without sinking.

I think the only way your question can really be answered is by long experience, to get a statistical averaging effect.

Great mod, though, even if it only reduces hit-points. I would regard it as an essential mod, in fact. I hope you don't mind me adding to the next update for NYGM?

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 07:44 AM   #32
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
Great mod, though, even if it only reduces hit-points. I would regard it as an essential mod, in fact. I hope you don't mind me adding to the next update for NYGM?

Stiebler.
There is randomness built into the fire damage so it's possible that some ships succumb to fire damage and some don't. It's even quite possible that some succumb to fire damage very quickly and some very slowly while some may have some quick spurts of HP loss, followed by slow or even no HP loss, followed by ?? The point is it's completely random and you never know what the outcome will be.

Go right ahead
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:10 AM   #33
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
There is randomness built into the fire damage so it's possible that some ships succumb to fire damage and some don't. It's even quite possible that some succumb to fire damage very quickly and some very slowly while some may have some quick spurts of HP loss, followed by slow or even no HP loss, followed by ?? The point is it's completely random and you never know what the outcome will be.

Go right ahead
Hi mate,

Really impressive work and for the randomness it is exactly what it is expected in such a situation kudos mate

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 11:38 AM   #34
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Dark Wraith:

Yes, the randomness is certainly a beneficial feature, but makes testing the effect on flotability even harder!

Many thanks for your kind permission for me to use your mod with NYGM.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 12:18 PM   #35
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

This is some really nice turn of SH3 events!

Major kudos to youzzz TDW

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 12:32 PM   #36
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Uploads: 12

Great work, TheDarkWraith! Thanks a lot!

Does it also affect planes? The heavily burning aircrafts flying on forever are even more ridiculous than the burning ships.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 12:40 PM   #37
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
Great work, TheDarkWraith! Thanks a lot!

Does it also affect planes? The heavily burning aircrafts flying on forever are even more ridiculous than the burning ships.

Cheers, LGN1
Unfortunately no it won't work on planes due to the way I made it work. You make a good point though so I will have to see if there's a way to make it work on them too
Old 03-05-11, 02:25 PM   #38
A6Intruder
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Unfortunately no it won't work on planes due to the way I made it work. You make a good point though so I will have to see if there's a way to make it work on them too
Would be very appreciated!!
Best regards
A6Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 05:04 AM   #39
Jankowski
Frogman

Downloads: 17

And they said this wasn't possible................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhB8_kvT9ms
Jankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 08:00 AM   #40
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi guys,

Cheers to all !

This is just brilliant! Thanks TDW for more this awesome mod. This is a good motivation to come back again to Sh3. I'm really without free time but more 2 or 3 months ahead and I will go back here.

This TDW's mod and his mod approach opened a new door to some old "impossible to do" mod ideas.

Yesterday I tried the planes fire damage: works flawless!

And the most good news: also that old wanted mod - depth charges making noise allowing you to escape (bold like effect) - seems to work ok too using the same TDW's mod approach. It need more tests and this is my problem now - free time. I will post more info as the mod goes ahead.

Kudos to TWD!
Old 03-14-11, 09:43 AM   #41
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Yes this opens the door to many other possibilities. I'm working on fire damage to airplanes in SH5. Adding damage to my secondary explosions FX mod for SH5 also (can be done for SH3 also via my SH4 effects for SH3 mod)
Old 03-14-11, 03:26 PM   #42
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Uploads: 12

Hi Rubini,

great to see you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post

Yesterday I tried the planes fire damage: works flawless!

And the most good news: also that old wanted mod - depth charges making noise allowing you to escape (bold like effect) - seems to work ok too using the same TDW's mod approach. It need more tests and this is my problem now - free time. I will post more info as the mod goes ahead.

Kudos to TWD!
You got planes damaged by fire? That sounds great! The second issue with the depth charges seems even better! I'm looking forward to seeing your results Thanks again to TDW for sharing his great idea!

Cheers, LGN1

PS: If you need a beta tester, just let me know...
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:31 PM   #43
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Hi Rubini,

great to see you again!
Yes, I seconded this !!!
Old 03-14-11, 03:49 PM   #44
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Hi Rubini,

great to see you again!

You got planes damaged by fire? That sounds great! The second issue with the depth charges seems even better! I'm looking forward to seeing your results Thanks again to TDW for sharing his great idea!

Cheers, LGN1

PS: If you need a beta tester, just let me know...

Nice to "see" you guys too!

Yeah, my main problem is to test all the hole thing just because i don't have, for now, the necessary time. Can you help me making some beta test? Anyway, I will need 2 or 3 days just to activate all my work space for sh3 again, to organize my files and so on!

Also TWD said he is working on Sh5 version of this. I can see very good new mods on the horizon very soon.
Old 03-14-11, 05:17 PM   #45
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Nice to "see" you guys too!

Yeah, my main problem is to test all the hole thing just because i don't have, for now, the necessary time. Can you help me making some beta test? Anyway, I will need 2 or 3 days just to activate all my work space for sh3 again, to organize my files and so on!

Also TWD said he is working on Sh5 version of this. I can see very good new mods on the horizon very soon.
Hi Rubini,

Great to see you in a come back to your old loveThe community is booming again.

Good thing never get old welcome back

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote