SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-18, 11:09 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Do you play SH5, and what are you doing?

Hello,
I see a lot of posts with problems for SH5 in which there are ugly words like U-Play, black screen, tonnage bar and other bugs and malfunctions.

But I see no real reports about playing the game successfully. What's about you? Are you playing? Stock game? Mods? And what are you doing currently, are you enjoying the game?

Thanks a lot for some non-trouble but *playing* feedbacks

As for me:
I'm currently playing with TWoS without any bug and no crashes whatsoever. Currently I'm trying to meet some 'famous' historical battles out there, but with little success. I have tried to intercept the Bismarck when he leaves Gotenhaven at the right date, but nope, nothing in sight, not in the port and nothing spawning afterwards, at 40 feet depth my hydrophones remained obstinately mute, you should be able to hear a warship within 30 km, no?
Also I wonder if the SH5 game engine does simulate some bombardments of ports, e.g. the Tirpitz bombimg in the Tromso Fjord (Norway), or if this never happens anywhere because of engine limitations. I know that in SH3 a couple of mods do simulate this, and you also get to meet these famous battleships. But what about in SH5 outside of a mission?

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-22-18 at 11:18 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 02:46 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

No one? Everyone is modding but no one is playing?
Old 01-23-18, 08:15 PM   #3
Weasel665
Watch

Downloads: 404
Uploads: 0

Playing Steam version with WoS 2.1.1.

SH5 installed in E:/steam/steamapps/common/

PC Specs
WIN 10 Home v 1709
i5-4570 @3.2ghz
GTX 970-Driver 390.65
16 GB RAM

No game issues just me try to get the hang of the UI, changed to SH3 UI being long time player of that version. Started new career from the beginning, Baltic Ops. Reported Polish Task Force but sank nothing. Currently in Costal Waters- Jan 40. Not ready for Real Nav but would like to get there. Thanks to all the modders and those that provide all the detailed tips and tricks, wouldn't be playing this game without you. Also Steam versions seem to get a bad rap but by following the detailed instructions my Steam versions (SH3,4 & 5) work.
Weasel665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 09:15 PM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

SH5 TWoS mod 2.1.0 In the Indian Ocean summer of 1943 headed for port after a long patrol with 2 resupplies. Been out so long vecko has released 2 updates while I've been on patrol. I use the DVD version with no issues. Started career in 1939.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-18, 08:31 PM   #5
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348

I am at the bottom of the Irish Sea after running into 5 Destroyers 2 Corvettes and a Black Swan Sloop

Only 60m of depth tried quick sharp left ahead full 4 seconds to get away from pings all directions

Maybe should of stayed on silent running who knows

RIP Me

Silent Hunter 5 Wolves of Steel
Old 01-24-18, 09:28 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thank you very much folks for your feedbacks, I really appreciate reading your stories, also I'm glad to hear that Steam versions can work perfectly, so I can continue to give responses in the Steam forum knowing it's not in vain.

I must say the TWoS mod makes the campaign play very realistic, even without Real Navigation and only with Auto TDC. I'm playing 2 different careers, 1 special where I 'spawn' in game to meet historical events (I have even made a guide for it), and 1 regular campaign where I didn't get very far: 2nd mission, British Coastal Waters, I found a small trawler and had the VERY bad idea to engage it with my deck gun in rough sea, not only that I didn't manage to sink it, but soon after I was chased down by 3 patrol boats...40 minutes later: end of the story

My impression is the AI is far more aggressive than in SH3, and I'm playing on easy settings for the moment...