SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-08, 06:53 PM   #181
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht Von Hesse
I tried to PM you CCIP but your box is full. Mikhayl and I are playing some MP missions with the S-boots. Want to join? It's awesome with two, and the more we get it should get even more insane! :p
Oh, thanks for the heads-up! I didn't know it was full.

And I'd love to join, but unfortunately my time's a bit short right now. But what config do you guys use? I'm a bit worried about going MP since my GWX 2 setup is a little customized.

By the way, one mod that this one has no trouble with: Sergbuto's cameras. It's really cool to wander around the S-boat deck - if only we could get those railes fixed up a little

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:04 PM   #182
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Quote:
I tried to PM you CCIP but your box is full. Mikhayl and I are playing some MP missions with the S-boots. Want to join? It's awesome with two, and the more we get it should get even more insane! :p

And I'd love to join, but unfortunately my time's a bit short right now. But what config do you guys use? I'm a bit worried about going MP since my GWX 2 setup is a little customized.

By the way, one mod that this one has no trouble with: Sergbuto's cameras. It's really cool to wander around the S-boat deck - if only we could get those railes fixed up a little
That's why I've always duped my GWX/SHIII folder/installations. I have basically four SHIII folders on my rig: one stock, one stock that I use to play with (creating mods and messing with files), one for GWX and one for GWX MP. That way I don't worry about accidentally messing up my GWX install . . . or my careers! :p It makes it very easy to play or host MP games that way.

I'm off all this week so it's no big deal to stay up late or be on during the day. So if you (or anyone else) wants to give this a go just give me a holler. Until you've played an MP game with these you've no idea what a hoot, or how insane, that is!
Old 02-06-08, 07:07 PM   #183
Gewehr98
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's why I've always duped my GWX/SHIII folder/installations. I have basically four SHIII folders on my rig: one stock, one stock that I use to play with (creating mods and messing with files), one for GWX and one for GWX MP. That way I don't worry about accidentally messing up my GWX install . . . or my careers! :p It makes it very easy to play or host MP games that way.

I'm off all this week so it's no big deal to stay up late or be on during the day. So if you (or anyone else) wants to give this a go just give me a holler. Until you've played an MP game with these you've no idea what a hoot, or how insane, that is!
Is your stock folder stock+1.4b or just plain old out of the box SH3? I'm gonna do your multiple install thing and I wanna get my barebones install straight before I start copy and pasting!
Gewehr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:18 PM   #184
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Quote:
Running a career - so far no problems, even got it successfully added to the med

The only problem, I guess, is incompatibility with SH3 commander

Oh, one nitpick about the model - looking from the bridge view, some of the railings on the aft of the boat are invisible or floating in the air. I guess it's cause the model is meant to be viewed from the outside originally.
I'm slowly working on a new damage screen/upgrade screen to fit with the campaign game. For SH3 commander I didn't try yet because I only ran test games, but JScones seemed interested in the mod, I'll PM him as soon as I have a "campaign worthy" version of the mod :hmm:
Your guess is right about the model, the railings are flat 2D shapes and turn invisible depending of the angle at which you're looking at them, that's good for the FPS and for an AI boat but now ... This will be improved sooner or later
I'm interested about the campaign bit, especially about the ennemy trafic. I wonder if the current campaign layer (at least the GWX 2.0 one) would fit the very short range of the boat or if you would just run 700nm at 25 knots and get back home without seeing anything . If you play some patrols please post your findings :hmm:
I'm trying one right now. I think as long as the boat is in the North Sea, Black Sea or Med - it's good! I set the in-port delay to 1 day right now - in this one it's wise to take advantage of friendly ports; and having designed most of the Med ports seen in GWX myself way back in the day - I can tell you they all have safe re-start positions for boats
I can't speak much traffic-wise, but you do have the advantage that you can chase down contacts a lot more effectively based on reports - and besides, in career mode you don't have to get the big prize every time.

The boat does 2000km at 18kt, which is a pretty respectable range for it. And with a theater like the Med with lots of friendly ports to supply from - should be a breeze!

An oh, in terms of SHIII Commander - I think that's definitely something that needs to be looked into from Commander itself. Great if JScones can indeed do something; While it can be worked into existing campaign structure, it would be great if S-boats could be a commander option where Commander could overwrite S-boat files needed for careers, and likewise bring back U-boat files when needed.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 02-06-08, 07:28 PM   #185
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr98
Is your stock folder stock+1.4b or just plain old out of the box SH3? I'm gonna do your multiple install thing and I wanna get my barebones install straight before I start copy and pasting!
I bought my copy online; no box, and no need for the CD/DVD. My stock folder is vanilla SHIII patched to 1.4b. I don't touch that any more; it's basically my 'safety backup'. All I did to install GWX was create a new folder alongside the SHIII one. The original folder I renamed SHIII vanilla, and the new folder GWX (C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/SHIII vanilla and C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX). Then I copied the entire contents of the SHIII folder and pasted them into the empty GWX folder.

Once that copied over I installed GWX, selecting the C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX path as the location of the Silent Hunter files.

Now, once you have error-free installed GWX, before doing anything else, create another new folder; mine is named GWX MP (path is C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX MP). This time, copy the entire contents of the GWX folder and paste it into the new GWX MP folder. Then go get some coffee and smoke a few cigs, cuz it's gonna take a long while to copy 'em over.

I then install JSGME into the root folder of each one. Just make sure that they are set to modify the correct folders; the one in C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX must only modify files in that folder, and the one in C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX MP must only modify the files in that folder.

Then just copy the S-boot mod and paste it into the MOD folder in the C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX MP folder. Run JSGME and install the two S-boot mods.

I find this --once done! -- to make playing MP games very easy. It never affects my primary GWX game settings, and it also makes it impossible to accidentally screw that up.
Old 02-06-08, 07:33 PM   #186
Gewehr98
Mate

Quote:
Quote:
I bought my copy online; no box, and no need for the CD/DVD. My stock folder is vanilla SHIII patched to 1.4b. I don't touch that any more; it's basically my 'safety backup'. All I did to install GWX was create a new folder alongside the SHIII one. The original folder I renamed SHIII vanilla, and the new folder GWX (C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/SHIII vanilla and C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX). Then I copied the entire contents of the SHIII folder and pasted them into the empty GWX folder.

Once that copied over I installed GWX, selecting the C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX path as the location of the Silent Hunter files.

Now, once you have error-free installed GWX, before doing anything else, create another new folder; mine is named GWX MP (path is C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX MP). This time, copy the entire contents of the GWX folder and paste it into the new GWX MP folder. Then go get some coffee and smoke a few cigs, cuz it's gonna take a long while to copy 'em over.

I then install JSGME into the root folder of each one. Just make sure that they are set to modify the correct folders; the one in C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX must only modify files in that folder, and the one in C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX MP must only modify the files in that folder.

Then just copy the S-boot mod and paste it into the MOD folder in the C:/Program Files/Ubisoft/GWX MP folder. Run JSGME and install the two S-boot mods.

I find this --once done! -- to make playing MP games very easy. It never affects my primary GWX game settings, and it also makes it impossible to accidentally screw that up.
Okay, that explains it. I'm doing it a tad different, though, I'm not making a new folder to copy n paste the new stuff in, is that okay? I plan to have:

.../Ubisoft/SHIII stock
.../Ubisoft/SHIII GWX
.../Ubisoft/SHIII GWX MP

...is that ok?

I've got a MODS folder I got out of my old SHIII install, can I just drop that back into my GWX SP folder, JSGME em and go? And only take the S-Boot mod into the MP folder?

Once I start copy and pasting the GWX MP folder over I'm gonna go run downstairs and get something to eat...something to look forward to
Old 02-06-08, 07:43 PM   #187
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Here's a S-100 picture that would be up to par I think, I'll post it in .tga and .jpg.

I'm not too sure Akella would approve of you texturing your S-boat in a Ubisoft game with a skin from their as yet unreleasd game! watch your copyright.

A very very cool mod though!

Last edited by Sonarman; 02-06-08 at 08:30 PM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 07:45 PM   #188
CCIP
Navy Seal

A couple of cool deck views of it courtesy of Sergbuto's cam mod

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 02-06-08, 07:54 PM   #189
Paajtor
The Old Man

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 1

work of art

Paajtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 08:19 PM   #190
CCIP
Navy Seal

Alas, my first "career" ended sadly.

I ran into a merchant very quickly just south of greece, and it being 1941, it was naturally armed. It was A LOT of fun dodging its shots - the accuracy/risk seemed just right! The damage balancing so far seems fantastic. Extremely fun.

I fired off my torpedoes, scored a hit, and proceeded to try and finish it off with my gun. Unfortunately while manuevering around the ship's bow to stay out of its gun's firing arc, I really misjudged something and rammed the ship squarely in the engine compartment. We both died in a fiery explosion :rotfl:
(btw, at those kinds of speeds, collision modeling seems quite realistic!)

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 02-06-08, 08:33 PM   #191
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I will, always and forever, be a U-boat Commander first. But these S-boots . . . hoooo! ::grins::

I'll have a GWX MP game up at 20:40 Eastern. Same server name and password as usual.
Old 02-06-08, 08:34 PM   #192
Gewehr98
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman
Quote:
Here's a S-100 picture that would be up to par I think, I'll post it in .tga and .jpg.

I'm not too sure Akella would approve of you texturing your S-boat in a Ubisoft game with a skin from their as yet unreleasd game! watch your copyright.

A very very cool mod though!
Yeah, I'm weary of that, but it looks like it meshes perfectly with the damage control and crew management shots of the U-Boats, and I'm also pretty sure that PT Boats: Knights of the Sea is heading flank speed into the Vaporware Sea, if it hasn't already started a patrol there.

It's there if you want to use it, but I'd probably clear it with the Akella folks first.
Old 02-06-08, 08:43 PM   #193
Gewehr98
Mate

Quote:
I will, always and forever, be a U-boat Commander first. But these S-boots . . . hoooo! ::grins::

I'll have a GWX MP game up at 20:40 Eastern. Same server name and password as usual.
Ok, I'm starting to feel like a blithering idiot, but is there a 3rd party utility to do the MP or do I just use the LAN Game option?
Old 02-06-08, 08:47 PM   #194
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I'm starting to feel like a blithering idiot, but is there a 3rd party utility to do the MP or do I just use the LAN Game option?
Forgot that part.

To join an MP game you have to select the "play on ubi.com" option. That requires you to have an account with ubisoft. That's easy to do if you don't already have one. When you select "play on ubi.com" when that page loads you'll see an option to create an account. Once you've created one you just use that username and password to log on to play online multiplayer games.
Old 02-06-08, 08:49 PM   #195
Gewehr98
Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Forgot that part.

To join an MP game you have to select the "play on ubi.com" option. That requires you to have an account with ubisoft. That's easy to do if you don't already have one. When you select "play on ubi.com" when that page loads you'll see an option to create an account. Once you've created one you just use that username and password to log on to play online multiplayer games.
Helps to search the "MP Matchup" forum's stickies!