SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-15, 06:11 PM   #1
Reinhard Hardegen
Raiders of the Deep

Downloads: 255
Uploads: 0
Default I shed a tear or two

A sad day in the U-Boat history...

Operation Deadlight - German U-Boat Fleet Surrender 1945 - Derry/Londonderry N.Ireland
A quote from Donitz; “The reason that the American Navy does so well in wartime is that war is chaos, and the Americans practice chaos on a daily basis.” “For the lessons one fails to learn during peacetime, one pays a high price in war.”

Last edited by Reinhard Hardegen; 09-23-15 at 06:20 PM.
Reinhard Hardegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-15, 08:49 PM   #2
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Follow the other links from this one on You Tube. Some amazing videos to be found on U-boats of all Types.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-15, 05:40 AM   #3
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard Hardegen View Post

A sad day in the U-Boat history...

Operation Deadlight - German U-Boat Fleet Surrender 1945 - Derry/Londonderry N.Ireland
And a very sad day in European history. England and France have committed their biggest mistake by declaring war on Germany. Churchill himself recognized this fact after the war. USSR was the true enemy to fight. Shame a thousand times on plutocracies !
Fahnenbohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-15, 08:31 AM   #4
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

That video looked like it was made with me in mind!

It featured quite a few shots of "my" boat, U-802, which yes, was a type IX, so it's nice to see the game designers got it right.

It's also nice to see that the real U-802 survived to the end, to be scrapped.
But what I liked the most was how the German and British officers were standing around on the pier, chatting and laughing, like they were old friends popped by for a visit.

Can't stop watching this kind of stuff!
Old 09-24-15, 10:03 AM   #5
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKönig View Post
But what I liked the most was how the German and British officers were standing around on the pier, chatting and laughing, like they were old friends popped by for a visit.
Yes, me too. The second world war was a gigantic mess, and a massacre of innocents.
Old 09-24-15, 10:32 AM   #6
UKönig
Captain

The video that made me shed a tear or two was this doco. It's 2 hours and 34 mins long and highly informative!

Old 09-24-15, 07:05 PM   #7
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

And this one.....

WWII Iron Coffins..... radar interception.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 12:45 AM   #8
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

That was a great document. Nice to see Kretschmer, Topp, Hardegen, Werner not to forget all the other interviewees from the allied side , including Walker's subordinates .
Old 09-26-15, 12:20 PM   #9
UKönig
Captain

I learned a great deal (and I know a lot about this subject already).

I enjoyed most the interviews of the ex-captains and crews. I found out that they used 4711 as the cologne to help kill the smell on board, and my wife has a bottle of the stuff (nearly full) in her collection. Now I can smell like a barely washed U-boat crewman too! I love her even more after finding that out.

I loved it so much that even though it's 3 or so separate episodes rolled into one and over 2.5 hrs long, I watched it twice!

Last edited by UKönig; 09-26-15 at 12:25 PM.
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 04:30 PM   #10
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn View Post
And a very sad day in European history. England and France have committed their biggest mistake by declaring war on Germany. Churchill himself recognized this fact after the war. USSR was the true enemy to fight. Shame a thousand times on plutocracies !
What? The USSR(under Stalin as it kinda mellowed out after he died) was bad yes but the Nazi's were a a million steps above them.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-15, 02:54 AM   #11
Fahnenbohn
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
What? The USSR(under Stalin as it kinda mellowed out after he died) was bad yes but the Nazi's were a a million steps above them.
Please, explain yourself. Seems that you are considering the third reich like the devil !
Old 09-28-15, 11:51 AM   #12
UKönig
Captain

Speaking as someone whose relatives fled Nazi Germany (and those who could not and suffered under its jackbooted heel), I can say that they were a very nasty bunch. Russia under stalin was little different, and it would be like forcing people to choose between the horrible and the terrible.
We know the majority of the crimes the nazis carried out on their own citizens, and we know that Russia was under an iron curtain, thus concealing a lot of their own, but, neither one was the model of good government.
Old 09-29-15, 01:32 AM   #13
ratatoeskr76
Watch

Downloads: 82
Default Hi Ukönig

I respect and understand your feelings, since my family was driven out of their home in 1945 and from the stories my grandmother told me I can imagine how bitter it must be to have to leave your home.

But speeking of Soviet Russia I have to add the following: The western allies knew, that the Soviet leaders were a bunch of murderers. They knew of the war the bolsheviks waged against their own people (before WW2 started) in the 1930s which resulted in millions dead Russians. The bolsheviks killed their own people with pistols, gulags and hunger.

But this didn't mattered to the US government then, Roosevelt saw Stalin as good old uncle Joe.

You can read this for instance in Victor Kravchencos book "I chose freedom" (1946) or in Orlando Figes, A People's Tragedy. After defecting to the USA, Kravchenco didnt understand why the US were not interested in the suffering of the Russians. In Figes book you can read that the USA exported corn to the USSR in the 1930s to help the starving Russians but eventually found out that Soviet government was exporting their own corn in the same time to buy weapons.

The western allies knew that they were teaming up with murdererers.

All you always wanted to know about SH3 and never dared to ask:
The Silent Hunter III Guide - by BL!TZKR!EG
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=212323
ratatoeskr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 02:50 AM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default a Monkey to a Mousetrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
It depends where you start the body count...I'll call it near even as Soviet records are...spotty. http://necrometrics.com/20c5m.htm#RCW Russian Revolution 1917-1922: 9 million; Stalin 1924-1953: 30 million. 28M civilians and 14M soldiers died in the European War. That's 42,000,000 deaths which can probably be blamed on Hitler to one extent or another..not including the 6 million of the death camp holocaust. With those numbers there are no 'good guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahnenbohn
Please, explain yourself. Seems that you are considering the third reich like the devil !
CLOSE but opposite: Churchill: “If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil (Stalin) in the House of Commons". http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/churchills-deal-with-the-devil/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukonig
Speaking as someone whose relatives fled Nazi Germany (and those who could not and suffered under its jackbooted heel), I can say that they were a very nasty bunch. Russia under stalin was little different, and it would be like forcing people to choose between the horrible and the terrible.
We know the majority of the crimes the nazis carried out on their own citizens, and we know that Russia was under an iron curtain, thus concealing a lot of their own, but, neither one was the model of good government.
Rule 4 of war: the enemy of my enemy ...is my friend...actually helps rule 1: "In ALL things be strong!" obviated any morality; the creation of a two-front war and the acquisition of a huge fighting force (increase'd firepower)... of endless Russians made for perverse wartime political bedfellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatoeskr76 View Post
But speeking of Soviet Russia I have to add the following: The western allies knew, that the Soviet leaders were a bunch of murderers. They knew of the war the bolsheviks waged against their own people (before WW2 started) in the 1930s which resulted in millions dead Russians. The bolsheviks killed their own people with pistols, gulags and hunger.

But this didn't mattered to the US government then, Roosevelt saw Stalin as good old uncle Joe.

The western allies knew that they were teaming up with murdererers.
Churchill in defense of the pact with 'Uncle Joe': "No one has been a more consistent opponent of Communism for the last twenty-five years. I will unsay no word I have spoken about it. But all this fades away before the spectacle which is now unfolding. The past, with its crimes, its follies, its tragedies, flashes away.… The Russian danger is therefore our danger, and the danger of the United States, just as the cause of any Russian fighting for hearth and house is the cause of free men and free peoples in every quarter of the globe.” Roosevelt was as cunning as Churchill and under no illusions about ol' Joe. He'd learned much from his cousin Teddy....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-29-15 at 03:15 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 09:09 AM   #15
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 69

As far as I know the Soviets never rounded up ethnic groups or other races with the sole purpose of exterminating them like rodents. The millions of deaths attributed to starvation are a result of poor collective farming ideas and wasn't done to purposely wipe out a group of people.
U505995 is offline   Reply With Quote