SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-07, 10:48 AM   #1
U-Schultz
Medic

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default Graphics problem....

Running SH3 w/GWX...all patched and updated.
Intel 3.6, 2 gig ram, Nvidia 7950GT video card.

Searched the forum and found no answer so before I do a reinstall I thought I would throw the question here. I think the answer is simple but I'm stumped.

Problem: Smoke from deck gun is blocky (big squares) and the edges of torpedo explosions are blocky/jagged. No other graphics issues observed.

Have tried all Nividia graphics setting (AA, AF, all on, all off, etc) and have tried two different drivers (3rd pending) with no luck.

I think the answer is simple. Help please!
Old 07-12-07, 10:55 AM   #2
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Not come across this before.

Check that you have particles set to 100% in the SH3 Options Menu.

The only other thing I can think of is GFX Card Driver issues. Have you recently changed anything? Has this suddenly happened to your previously working install or was it evident from installation?
Old 07-12-07, 11:13 AM   #3
U-Schultz
Medic

I am ashamed to admit that I have been away from SH3 (campaign-wise) for 2 months ( ) so the card is new as is the extra gig of RAM but it seems like the problem just started very recently but I can't swear to it. I believe it played fine post new card. Every other simulation I have runs fine. Could it be my new card? I wouldn't think so. Using the newest drivers for Nvidia.

I remember goofing with a particle.dat mod recently (a new smoke mod) but I thought I went back to the GWX one. My SH3 is heavily modded but I had hoped this would be a simple graphic setting fix.

Thanks for the help and look forward to any other ideas
Old 07-12-07, 11:19 AM   #4
danlisa
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Schultz
I remember goofing with a particle.dat mod recently (a new smoke mod) but I thought I went back to the GWX one. My SH3 is heavily modded but I had hoped this would be a simple graphic setting fix.
I think that's your problem right there. I remember seeing one of the 'smoke' mods causing 'blocky' graphics on some installs. Can't remember which one though but there were screenies from a few people with the same problem. I think Anvart hinted at a fix for it but it never was fixed.

If you can, swap out the modded version with the default GWX one (from a clean duplicate install or file extraction).
Old 07-12-07, 11:32 AM   #5
The Milkman
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 69

No No NO!!! They are all wrong. That is how it was in real life. Perfect squares I mean. Just look at some old photos of torpedo impacts, you wil clearly see big square explosions.

:rotfl:
The Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 11:54 AM   #6
U-Schultz
Medic

Thanks danlisa. I think before I panic further and waste time goofing with drivers and restarts I try a clean install of, at least, the particle.dat to see if this helps.

Milkman- pass whatever your smoking this way.
Old 07-13-07, 07:40 AM   #7
U-Schultz
Medic

Well a complete reinstall did the trick so it was something that got dinked in SH3 and not my hardware or drivers....whew! Thank goodness I back everything up on CD's.

Kinda confused since, though my SH3 install is heavily modded, I use JGME to install and remove them but I guess over dozens of times of "add/remove" something can screw up.

Thanks danlisa for the advice.
Old 07-13-07, 08:05 AM   #8
danlisa
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Schultz
Kinda confused since, though my SH3 install is heavily modded, I use JGME to install and remove them but I guess over dozens of times of "add/remove" something can screw up.

Thanks danlisa for the advice.
No problem, anytime.

With any heavily modded install, it's always worth checking JSGME's backup folder, if there are still files left in there after all mods are deactivated, then there has been a 'mod crossover' and modified files are still present in your install.
Old 07-13-07, 08:28 AM   #9
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I installed the same Particles file (smoke mod) & noticed that the sky was overcast but nav officer reported clear skies, I thought that I'd done something to my scene.dat file, fiddled for ages but couldn't find the problem! At a last ditch effort I disabled the smoke mod containing the particles.dat file as this was the last mod I had installed & fixed the problem! I didn't think this was tied in but it must be! I was also fiddling with the lightning tga files that are effected by the scene.dat file! Amazing how the various files are tied in and can easily fix one thing & wreck another!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-07, 10:21 AM   #10
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece
I installed the same Particles file (smoke mod) & noticed that the sky was overcast but nav officer reported clear skies, I thought that I'd done something to my scene.dat file, fiddled for ages but couldn't find the problem! At a last ditch effort I disabled the smoke mod containing the particles.dat file as this was the last mod I had installed & fixed the problem! I didn't think this was tied in but it must be! I was also fiddling with the lightning tga files that are effected by the scene.dat file! Amazing how the various files are tied in and can easily fix one thing & wreck another!
Oh, yes!!!
And it happens with things you just don't imagine. Had a couple of those experiences myself
CapZap
Old 04-11-17, 12:20 PM   #11
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Schultz View Post
Running SH3 w/GWX...all patched and updated.
Intel 3.6, 2 gig ram, Nvidia 7950GT video card.

Searched the forum and found no answer so before I do a reinstall I thought I would throw the question here. I think the answer is simple but I'm stumped.

Problem: Smoke from deck gun is blocky (big squares) and the edges of torpedo explosions are blocky/jagged. No other graphics issues observed.

Have tried all Nividia graphics setting (AA, AF, all on, all off, etc) and have tried two different drivers (3rd pending) with no luck.

I think the answer is simple. Help please!
You may be pleased to know - albeit 12 years later - I have also begun having this problem. As this problem is over a decade old, I just know I'm going to find the answer below. I just wanted you to know you are in good company. I wonder how many of us are still out there, trawling the Atlantic?
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 12:38 AM   #12
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gad View Post
I wonder how many of us are still out there, trawling the Atlantic?
A lot. But the thread starter hasn't even looked at the forums here in three years.
Old 04-12-17, 04:34 AM   #13
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Gamers do not realize that JSGME can screw up your files.
Before enabling mods use the JSGME Tasks > "Generate snapshot of game files" can be used.
JSGME will then compare that file to "Compare game files to snapshot" when mods are disabled.
This will show you whether any files have changed.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote