SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-18, 07:53 AM   #1
comradekush420
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Paper Radio Messages

I actually have 2 questions. How can I get my radio messages to show up on paper like on the image rather than the default, and is it compatible with TWoS? My second question is if there are any TWoS-compatible mods that make all of the UI look historical and papery rather than boring and grey?
Old 05-05-18, 08:37 PM   #2
Sone7
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 159
Uploads: 0

As to your second question, have u tried switching to SHIII UI style of TDW UIs in TWoS?

Sone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 01:12 AM   #3
comradekush420
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sone7 View Post
As to your second question, have u tried switching to SHIII UI style of TDW UIs in TWoS?
I did indeed, which was certainly an improvement, but I still wish it went further. Like, I feel that SHIII was so much better about those little immersive details (though I am not sure how much was from GWX and how much from vanilla, admittedly.) In III it felt like every piece of the UI existed in the world, whereas in V it feels a lot like checking an iphone while touring a U-boat museum. But the feeling of being on a boat is captured so much better in 5 that I still find it hard to go back to III, despite how much more aesthetically appealing the look of that game is

Update: It looks like the things I want are within SH5 somewhere? Here is an image from my SH5 data folder that seems to indicate the 3 style is in there somewhere? When I switched to TDW's SHIII style UI it only changed the 3 dials at the bottom, not the entire periscope view.

https://imgur.com/a/39zJOOV

Last edited by comradekush420; 05-06-18 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 05:09 AM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by comradekush420 View Post
In III it felt like every piece of the UI existed in the world, whereas in V it feels a lot like checking an iphone while touring a U-boat museum.
Haha, I'd say that's a bit of overstatement but never mind...

Quote:
But the feeling of being on a boat is captured so much better in 5 that I still find it hard to go back to III, despite how much more aesthetically appealing the look of that game is
Very true...

Quote:
Quote:
Update: It looks like the things I want are within SH5 somewhere? Here is an image from my SH5 data folder that seems to indicate the 3 style is in there somewhere? When I switched to TDW's SHIII style UI it only changed the 3 dials at the bottom, not the entire periscope view.

https://imgur.com/a/39zJOOV
Those files are just leftovers from previous SH games, developers were to lazy to remove them.
There are few old UI mods for Sh5 but unfortunately they are not compatible with TWoS expansion since it's completely based on TDW NewUIs 7.5.0.
Some simple texture tweaks could work but I'm not aware of such mod.

Anyway, I'm pretty much sure that if you concentrate your "immersive details sensors" to some unique SH5/TWoS features like real navigation , M4 Enigma or maybe even full real nautical navigation with built in sextant, you wont care so much about somewhat "modern" appearance of game's UI.

Happy hunting!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-18, 04:00 PM   #5
comradekush420
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Haha, I'd say that's a bit of overstatement but never mind...

Very true...

Those files are just leftovers from previous SH games, developers were to lazy to remove them.
There are few old UI mods for Sh5 but unfortunately they are not compatible with TWoS expansion since it's completely based on TDW NewUIs 7.5.0.
Some simple texture tweaks could work but I'm not aware of such mod.

Anyway, I'm pretty much sure that if you concentrate your "immersive details sensors" to some unique SH5/TWoS features like real navigation , M4 Enigma or maybe even full real nautical navigation with built in sextant, you wont care so much about somewhat "modern" appearance of game's UI.

Happy hunting!
Fair points indeed. And I certainly did not mean to be harsh with the "museum" comment, I just thought it was a funny analogy more than anything. I haven't done the enigma or real navigation, because they both seem really hard, but that probably would help a lot. And considering how well it nails the boat feeling, I guess I will just double down on that. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-06-18, 05:13 PM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by comradekush420 View Post
Fair points indeed. And I certainly did not mean to be harsh with the "museum" comment, I just thought it was a funny analogy more than anything.
I know and I liked it... You are actually quite right in some way...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote