SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-17, 12:01 PM   #31
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Well... it looks as though he was still trying to make trouble as recently as April this year:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...424-story.html
Old 11-27-17, 04:52 PM   #32
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

An update/FYI about the nurse, Alex Wubbels, who was assaulted in the video and the disposition of the matter:

Alex Wubbels, Utah Nurse Arrested For Doing Her Job, Reaches $500,000 Settlement --

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00c6145e290da

Quote:

Payne was fired from the Salt Lake City Police Department last month. His supervisor, James Tracy, was demoted for the role he played in the nurse’s arrest.

No charges were ever filed against Wubbels.

On Tuesday, the nurse’s attorney, Karra Porter, said Wubbels would not be filing a lawsuit following the settlement with the city and the University of Utah.

Other than using part of the settlement to help others access police body camera clips, Wubbels said she planned to donate some of the $500,000 to the Utah Nurses Association and to support the national #EndNurseAbuse campaign.

Nurse Wubbels could have taken the PD and city to the cleaners for what happened, so its good to see she didn't try to take advantage and settled for what seems to be an appropriate offer. Its also good to see her putting the money to good use...

<O>
Old 11-28-17, 05:36 AM   #33
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
An update/FYI about the nurse, Alex Wubbels, who was assaulted in the video and the disposition of the matter:

Alex Wubbels, Utah Nurse Arrested For Doing Her Job, Reaches $500,000 Settlement --

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00c6145e290da

Nurse Wubbels could have taken the PD and city to the cleaners for what happened, so its good to see she didn't try to take advantage and settled for what seems to be an appropriate offer. Its also good to see her putting the money to good use...

<O>
That is one classy lady

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 06:53 AM   #34
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

As stupid as the cops move was and as much as I appreciate compensation for the nurse 500,000$ is completely excessive. That's tax money after all. Over here she would most likely have gotten 5,000$ if that much. Seriously half a million for being wrongfully arrested?
Old 11-28-17, 06:58 AM   #35
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yeah, legal damages here are crazy, they throw numbers around like they don't really mean anything.
Old 11-28-17, 08:06 AM   #36
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
As stupid as the cops move was and as much as I appreciate compensation for the nurse 500,000$ is completely excessive. That's tax money after all. Over here she would most likely have gotten 5,000$ if that much. Seriously half a million for being wrongfully arrested?

I think there is more to it than than that. The police violated the law they are sworn to uphold in falsely imprisoning and detaining her. I say that as she had to sit in a police car for 30 minutes or better while the police were figuring out what to do. The police disrupted hospital operation to a large degree and it's in that chaos that lives, including other hospital patients could have been lost.

The nurse ( Alex Wubbels ) who was detained was balancing 8 or more patients. Was the hospital able to divide her patients among the other nursing personnel who were there or did they have to pull another nurse from somewhere else ? The nurse herself could have seriously injured herself in the melee that followed. Did anyone consider the nurse could have been on blood pressure medication or statins which would reasonably preclude her from stressful situations like the encounter with the police. Could she have had a CV episode ( stroke ) ? The nursing duties she has are already stressful enough.

Half a million is not enough in my opinion but the money should come from the overly generous police pension fund. That is also payed by the taxpayers. It would hurt them where it counts. I'm sure if the police were paying for their stupid decisions themselves, they would start policing their own ranks and encounters like this would be a rarity.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 11-28-17 at 08:21 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 09:07 AM   #37
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
The nurse ( Alex Wubbels ) who was detained was balancing 8 or more patients. Was the hospital able to divide her patients among the other nursing personnel who were there or did they have to pull another nurse from somewhere else ?
Has nothing to do with the personal compensation of Mrs Wubbels and is a different subject.

Quote:
The nurse herself could have seriously injured herself in the melee that followed. Did anyone consider the nurse could have been on blood pressure medication or statins which would reasonably preclude her from stressful situations like the encounter with the police. Could she have had a CV episode ( stroke ) ? The nursing duties she has are already stressful enough.
Indeed, she could also have been struck by a meteorite in the police car or been abducted by aliens...Get real. As far as I know people don't get compensated for things that could have gone wrong but for those that did go wrong. Every time you drive your car things could go wrong yet we don't charge you for them because they didn't go wrong.
So what damage was done to Mrs. Wubbels? She went through the shock of being wrongfully arrested, was wrestled down without serious injury and spend half an hour in a police car. That has to be compensated for sure but is that worth half a million? Hell no. 50,000 would already have been too much IMHO. 5,000$ would be a real number for that in my books.
Old 11-28-17, 09:37 AM   #38
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Has nothing to do with the personal compensation of Mrs Wubbels and is a different subject.

Indeed, she could also have been struck by a meteorite in the police car or been abducted by aliens...Get real. As far as I know people don't get compensated for things that could have gone wrong but for those that did go wrong. Every time you drive your car things could go wrong yet we don't charge you for them because they didn't go wrong.
So what damage was done to Mrs. Wubbels? She went through the shock of being wrongfully arrested, was wrestled down without serious injury and spend half an hour in a police car. That has to be compensated for sure but is that worth half a million? Hell no. 50,000 would already have been too much IMHO. 5,000$ would be a real number for that in my books.
I'm not sure if you watched the video that I did. Something did go wrong. Alex Wubbels was assaulted and the police engaged in reckless endangerment, false imprisonment, aggravated assault and official oppression and that's just for starters. These acts were committed by individuals being paid a generous salary to protect individuals from acts such as these.

You get real. we're not talking about meteorites falling out of the sky . Those are things that are beyond anyone's ability to control. We are talking about the felonious assault of a valued heath care worker, captured on video and being perpetrated by a sworn police officer. This is not the random acts you describe but rather premeditated acts by law enforcement officers who by definition, should know the law. There is a difference. Ironically, the individual that the police wanted the blood sample from was a fellow officer from another jurisdiction.

Further, Alex could have sued for far more. Remember, the half a million dollars being paid to her is a settlement. The city realized it would have lost far more in court. It is also an admission that the police and the city violated the law.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-17, 05:52 PM   #39
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
perhaps, but you're looking at it from the wrong end.

truth is, settlements save money leaps and bounds above and beyond their own funds.

the city would have spent anywhere from 5 to 10 times that amount defending the officer in a drawn out battle in court.

If anything, the half million dollar settlement potentially saved the tax payers several million dollars