SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-08, 03:21 PM   #16
AlmightyTallest
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Hey Hood, thanks for the suggestion, I had considered the possibility, but I simply didn't have room for another computer.

I did fix the problem however!!! Turns out I needed to use the BETA Windows XP GeForce driver version 177.79 that can be found at the following site:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_177.79_beta.html

Anyone having problems with this sim and using similar hardware to mine may want to try it out.
AlmightyTallest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 03:23 AM   #17
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyTallest
I did fix the problem however!!! Turns out I needed to use the BETA Windows XP GeForce driver version 177.79 that can be found at the following site:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_177.79_beta.html

Anyone having problems with this sim and using similar hardware to mine may want to try it out.
Excellent . I had lost faith in playing again that oldie in my new computer. I was having exactly the same weird problem with the sky textures in a NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT, but hese BETA version seems to have fixed it, after three failed attempts with official drivers. I didn't test it thoroughly, but a quick check showed a clear blue sky over my ships .

Thanks a lot for the tip, AlmightyTallest, let's hope the BETA doesn't break something else .
Old 08-08-08, 11:34 AM   #18
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Well 177.79 didn't solve my problem with SH2 and DC. I still get corrupted 2D overlays. The 8800gt has "broken" four titles I had working perfectly in Xp with the older ATI x850xt. Almost gonna take it out, but not yet.

Buddahaid
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 12:27 PM   #19
AlmightyTallest
Machinist's Mate

Glad it helped you out Japlance, I'm having one more hurdle to overcome though.

I can play the game now, but no matter where I am, after a few minutes into a battle my text starts multiplying until my system bogs down and the game freezes up. I think I've tried just about everything to fix this, but not sure now what to do. I've tried literally dozens of different drivers, graphics card settings, audio drivers, and compatibility modes for older games, but this one is consistent. It even happens wether I use the origional v.1.1 or if I used the patched version with Fighting Steel Projects v.10.43. Anyone else ever run into this problem?
Old 08-09-08, 04:41 AM   #20
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyTallest
Glad it helped you out Japlance, I'm having one more hurdle to overcome though.

I can play the game now, but no matter where I am, after a few minutes into a battle my text starts multiplying until my system bogs down and the game freezes up. I think I've tried just about everything to fix this, but not sure now what to do. I've tried literally dozens of different drivers, graphics card settings, audio drivers, and compatibility modes for older games, but this one is consistent. It even happens wether I use the origional v.1.1 or if I used the patched version with Fighting Steel Projects v.10.43. Anyone else ever run into this problem?

I've also found problems after a longer session. Just about 20 minutes into the game, the display locks. For the moment the only partial solution is setting autosave to every 5 minutes and restart the game where it last saved. Better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid
Well 177.79 didn't solve my problem with SH2 and DC. I still get corrupted 2D overlays. The 8800gt has "broken" four titles I had working perfectly in Xp with the older ATI x850xt. Almost gonna take it out, but not yet.

Buddahaid
No, I have the same problem with SH2/DC since I started with this damn NVIDIA card , and these last BETA drivers didn't help at all. Keep my fingers crossed and maybe a later driver release will fix it.
Old 08-10-08, 07:34 AM   #21
AlmightyTallest
Machinist's Mate

Hey guys, I found a discussion forum moderated by some of the people working on NVidia drivers, there's a thread I posted on in regards to Fighting Steel, if you guys are having problems, maybe you can post there and they might get the issue resolved if it's a driver issue.

I found that Fighting Steel plays fine if I use 163.75 drivers, but the sky textures are corrupted. The Sky textures are fixed in 177.79, but now the game crashes once you get into a battle.

Link to NVidia forum thread is here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=74535
Old 08-26-08, 05:20 PM   #22
pozine
Gunner

Downloads: 26

my computer run with windows vista and it worst than xp...

the ships are sometime invisible, their turrets are missing, the sea is white the sky is... etC etc..

how can i fix that?
Old 08-26-08, 05:31 PM   #23
pozine
Gunner

oh!... does fighting steel is realeased to download for free?
Old 09-01-08, 05:25 PM   #24
pozine
Gunner

UP...:hmm:
Old 04-09-09, 01:58 AM   #25
retnug37
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Enjoying this game for the first time, though i have owned it since it came out. I have followed this forum and got it up and running with the new content here, and as to the issue of it locking after 20 minutes, I use it mostly in 2D and it only lags when it cuts to 3D scenes such as a near miss. This extends it nearly indefinatly.

Now as to my current problem. does this work with the scenario editor? I keep having an issue of it dropping out of the editor when I choose the option of Creating a Division. Any ideas of what I can do to fix this?
retnug37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 01:26 PM   #26
Maverik010
Swabbie

Downloads: 224

sorry for burring old thread, but ive got problem when i want to start game it run correctly but when i choose any scenario it brings me to deskop and say something about decoder - encoder indeo what i must do ? pls help

Greeting Maverik010
Maverik010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 04:15 AM   #27
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

The guys over at NWS (Naval warfare simulations) have quite a large forum on Fighting Steel having developed an extensive mod for the game. There is a page on indeo problems which may help. Note that Indeo is officially not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit although there may be some workarounds using comapatibility modes etc.
Old 08-29-10, 10:10 AM   #28
CTarana
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
From that filename, it looks like you downloaded a Windows ME driver, not a '98 driver.I would suggest making double sure you have the correct drivers, and reinstalling them. If it still doesn't work, either downgrade to an older driver, or install DirectX 9.0c. The latest drivers may require it. Other than that, I'm stumped. Maybe wipe, and do a complete reinstall of your entire system?
I don't recommend anything higher than DirectX 8.1 for ANY brand of Windows98 including SE. I used DX9 on my computer and had so many problems I ended up reformatting and reinstalling Win98. He needs the correct Video Drivers even if it means taking the computer to a local shop who can check the motherboard for him. It sounds like he did download a WinME driver and's probably what's caused the error on startup. Fighting Steel worked perfectly under Win98 for me, only after I got a new computer with WinXP Pro did I have to go to NWS and get the patch.

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:48 PM   #29
marky84
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

aww fighting steel was an awesome game. the anticipation, the wondering what ull run into, and then the pure joy and bloodlust when u find ur battleship force has encountered yamato!!

there needs to be more backward compatibility with new OSs so we can more easily play these old games(at least so the more computer illiterate like me can)
marky84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 02:21 AM   #30
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Sometimes you do. Win7 runs SH2 fine, but my older Xp can't. Best solution is to keep some old rigs if you can.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote