SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-15, 10:30 AM   #1
qmuddy2
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default enemy ship icon gets lighter ?

the closer i get to a red square (enemy ship), it gets lighter, i can't find these ships; on 4th patrol of career mode; also, do i have to do that geometrical target solution deal ? or is there some auto-targeting facility ? thanks
qmuddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 10:42 AM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

If you are referring to distant contacts that pop up on the map, those are radio contacts. They only show the contact's position as of the time of the report (which you can find out by clicking on the contact), and they get lighter as they age. When you get a contact like this, you find it not by going to that spot on the map, but by figuring out where it will be by the time you can intercept it. Use the map plotting tools!

It's a dynamic campaign, so ships and convoys all over the world are moving all the time. Just because a contact was revealed to be in one spot doesn't mean it will stay there and wait for you to sink it

If you're talking about nearby map contacts, then is the same - a contact is solid colour only when you have direct visual on it, and as soon as you lose sight of it, it starts "aging" and getting lighter. Get closer or make periscope observations to update it.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 11:41 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

qmuddy2!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 12:10 PM   #4
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

CCIP said it perfectly.

I used to make the mistake of assuming that the target contact location was where I had to go if I wanted to find it. Almost never did. Until I realized that yes, it's a radio report position, and I had to figure out approximately how fast it was going, how fast I could go to intercept. My odds of finding merchant ships had improved dramatically after that...
Old 04-24-15, 02:45 PM   #5
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Wellcome qmuddy2
Old 04-25-15, 04:38 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
If you are referring to distant contacts that pop up on the map, those are radio contacts. They only show the contact's position as of the time of the report (which you can find out by clicking on the contact), and they get lighter as they age. When you get a contact like this, you find it not by going to that spot on the map, but by figuring out where it will be by the time you can intercept it. Use the map plotting tools!

It's a dynamic campaign, so ships and convoys all over the world are moving all the time. Just because a contact was revealed to be in one spot doesn't mean it will stay there and wait for you to sink it

If you're talking about nearby map contacts, then is the same - a contact is solid colour only when you have direct visual on it, and as soon as you lose sight of it, it starts "aging" and getting lighter. Get closer or make periscope observations to update it.
Top answer

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote