SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-24, 01:08 PM   #1
Napoleon_bonata
Nub

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 FOTRS crashes on entering mission

Hello, I have been having a problem, I am new to SH4, coming from SH3 OneAlex, and I have been trying to get the FOTRS mod to work, however it always crashes on mission start, I can get thru the setup and the initial career creation fine. I believe I have the file in the right spot, and LAA is applied as shown in the attachment, I have changed the windows compatibility settings and DPI, and read access is allowed to the file, I really cannot figure out why it is crashing. I anyone has any ideas I would be open to them!

I am on windows 10 with an Intel I7 7700K cpu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4Cap1.jpg (9.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SH4Cap2.jpg (11.3 KB, 8 views)
Napoleon_bonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 01:38 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, I cannot get your 1st image to open, and the 2nd is quite small, but is somewhat legible. You could try clearing the tick in Run as admin and then try clearing the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" and see what happens. You will almost always have to use the "Change high DPI settings" button, and then "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and set to Application.

Also, you mention FOTRS, which is an AOTD_MadMax mod. There is also the FotRSU Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate edition that is a combination of all of MadMax's version of FOTRS into one, and more added to it. Most of the mods require Silent Hunter v1.5 aka: Gold Edition aka: U-Boat Missions. Only FOTRS v2.x will run on SH4 v1.4. All others require v1.5 of the game. Plus, you cannot have the game installed in a Program Files folder. You can run JSGME, click on the "Tasks..." link in the middle of the app, and "Export activated mods list to" and choose Clipboard or Text File. Paste the information into your next post, and someone can possibly get you further along.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 02:05 PM   #3
Napoleon_bonata
Nub

Yep, sorry meant FotRSU, I have the 1.5 version of the game, here is my mod list directly copied from JSGME:

''''''
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8

''''''
Enabling Full screen optimizations did not help, neither did running as an admin
Old 03-20-24, 03:10 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Napoleon_bonata !

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-20-24 at 10:29 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-24, 06:26 PM   #5
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_bonata View Post
Yep, sorry meant FotRSU, I have the 1.5 version of the game, here is my mod list directly copied from JSGME:

''''''
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8

''''''
Enabling Full screen optimizations did not help, neither did running as an admin
OK, newer mod, good SH4 version, and good install path. Since you did a Steam install, that would have already done the DirectX v9.0c install and set-up for you automatically, so we can rule that out. Next would be to be certain you deleted the Save folder, which normally defaults to C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4, but since you are on the E: drive, you might find an "SH4" folder right on the E root, unless you changed it with MultiSH4. Either way, you want to make certain your Save folder is empty after you activate FotRSU, or any major mod for that matter. The game actually runs off of a lot of the data in that Save folder, which is created when you first run the game. If you delete the data, the game will re-create it with the newly modded data in the game folder.

If you have already cleared the Save folder, and you are certain that the 4Gig Patch or LAA are properly applied, then it would probably fall to the SH4.exe "Properties" settings, with those various settings in there. On one of my computers, I do not have any of the options checked. On another, I have about half of them used. It all depends upon your computer and its config. If you want, let us know what LCD display you are using, what video card you have, and what you have Windows set to use. It is best if you use the "Default" setting for the video display. You might not be able to match it in the game, but if you have a 16:9 display, use a 16:9 choice in the game. I really like 1920x1080 the best, since it offers a good layout on-screen, and the text, for the most part, does not get too small for my old eyes.

Old 03-26-24, 10:38 PM   #6
Napoleon_bonata
Nub

I have made sure that my save folder is cleared, however I am not 100% sure LAA is applying correctly, when I get a fresh install from steam LAA says it is already applied to the game, I have tried both leaving it as is, and unapplying/applying it, along with that I have tried using the 4gb_patch. None of these work, I have tried changing all of the properties, running on Windows Vista (service pack 1,2) and Windows Vista without the service pack along with windows 10, windows 7 and windows 8. SH4.exe has full permission to be written over by every user on my computer along with system and admin, I have tried running the game as an administrator and as a regular user, and have tried with and without full screen optimizations. I have tied setting program DPI to be both application, and whatever windows wants it to be. I almost always get past the initial loading screen, which says it is Fall of the Rising Sun 1.8 and has the quote from Yamamoto at the start, however the game always fails on trying to start the first mission. I have also tried re-downloading the 7zip file from the website. I have also tried running it in 640x480 mode.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080.
I am using a dell monitor.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-24, 10:42 PM   #7
Napoleon_bonata
Nub

Ok, running it in windowed mode I managed to get the error that was causing the problem, which is "unknown error"
Old 03-29-24, 01:14 PM   #8
propbeanie

hmmm... as my doctors say to me: "Interesting...", which I don't like to hear... You could try to re-do the DirectX v9 on your computer by using the MS End User DirectX Runtime Download, and see if that helps. I'll throw more question your way:
  • Is your Steam install for SH4 the only installation of the game you have on your computer?
  • Had you copied the SH4 game folder to that library folder from another location?
  • Have you attempted to use MultiSH4v1.5 yet to try to create a 'new' Save folder? You could download that to your computer, extract the exe file, copy it to your "E:\SteamLibrary \steamapps \common \Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific" folder, run it, and then type in any 3 characters you want (no special characters) for a new Save folder, such as FRS or whatever you want.
  • Does the Stock game run OK at 1024x768, or 1920x1080, or whatever resolution your monitor is set at in Windows??
  • Have you tried all of the various settings in the SH4.exe "Properties" windows? Refer to Post 216 of Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10 for more on that, or several other posts in that thread. Windows 11 is basically the same.
  • What resolution are you running your Windows desktop at? What are you running your SH4 game at?
Let us know please. We do have another option if you can't get things this way.