SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-14, 04:37 PM   #1
glassbottom
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default New to the forums and Silent Hunter 3, couple concerns....

I recently bought SH3, after getting the strange, and immediate need to pretend to be a German submarine captain. After looking into the available options I downloaded and installed GWX gold with little to no problems.

Everything was working fine, but having played for a little bit, I found the tools that assist with manual targeting to be lacking, and so am now looking for a solution.
I gather, MaGui, or OLC are my best options?
What do I need to download to get either one of those Mods working with GWX gold?

I also wanted better audio. I found the Thomsen sound Mod and installed it with JSGME, but I have run into a few hitches.

The first issue will probably get a couple laughs around here, as I'm hoping it is merely a in-game/Mod joke, and not something more insidious. The main menu scrolling banner now says "I need hot girls".

Please tell me this is nothing more than the modder taking the piss, and isn't a sign that I've downloaded an infected/malicious version of the Thomsen sound file.

My second issue, is that all of the buttons and gauges are now labeled in German, where before applying the sound Mod they were in English.
How do I correct this?

Thanks, for any assistance.
glassbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 05:38 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
The first issue will probably get a couple laughs around here, as I'm hoping it is merely a in-game/Mod joke, and not something more insidious. The main menu scrolling banner now says "I need hot girls".

Please tell me this is nothing more than the modder taking the piss, and isn't a sign that I've downloaded an infected/malicious version of the Thomsen sound file.
It is a joke by the modder. You can change it to whatever you want by opening the folders data/Menu, and opening the file en_menu with notepad. The line you want to change is 13.

P.S. Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-14, 06:09 PM   #3
glassbottom
Swabbie

Well that's a load off.
So one concern down, a couple to go.
Does anyone know why my buttons, and gauges are now labeled in German, when they used to be in English?
How do I change this back?

Finally where do I find MaGui? I'm I correcting in thinking this will help me with manual targeting, or is there another Mod I should be looking at?

Last edited by glassbottom; 08-27-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-28-14, 02:10 PM   #4
glassbottom
Swabbie

Still hoping someone might tell me how to get English text back in the game.
With the introduction of the Thomsen's sound mod all of the buttons and gauges are now labeled in German.
Despite setting the text language to English in the options menu, nothing seems to revert the text back to how I had it before applying the Mod.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-14, 02:49 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Magui:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166320

It does away with the stock notepad manual targeting method, and replaces it with a emulation of periscope functionality that was atleast present on some Uboats at that time. So it can also allow you to measure AOB. It is based on the OLC gui mod, so both work similar. But Magui has other tools too to help do various manual targeting and tracking tasks.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 03:34 PM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbottom View Post
Still hoping someone might tell me how to get English text back in the game.
With the introduction of the Thomsen's sound mod all of the buttons and gauges are now labeled in German.
Despite setting the text language to English in the options menu, nothing seems to revert the text back to how I had it before applying the Mod.

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you download this mod from this place?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1311

I don't have this mod installed myself. But judging from it's contents it should not show any German text labels. I can't be 100% sure though as I haven't tested it. If you did use this file, and still get it, then likely it must be because of a mod that was installed after it making these changes to german. Did you enable it with JSGME?
Old 08-28-14, 04:23 PM   #7
glassbottom
Swabbie

Yes, that is the exact file I downloaded from the provided link.
It is the only mod I've downloaded other than the GWX gold mod that I had installed already.

I downloaded the .RAR and extracted its contents into the SH3 MOD folder.
I then activated the Thomsen mod via JSGME.

It stated there was a conflict with Integrated Orders, but other than that I'm without explanation.
Old 08-28-14, 05:44 PM   #8
glassbottom
Swabbie

I've gone and removed the Thomsen mod and loaded the game up, and the text is back to English.
I've then re-installed the Thomsen mod, and the text changes to German again.

So the problem is definitely with the Thomsen sound mod.
The link that you provided was where I downloaded it from.

Any ideas?
Old 08-28-14, 05:45 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

[EDIT] Disregard.

In the Thomsen mod folder in \data\menu\en_menu.txt there are still some strings at the end that are in German. Maybe those are the ones you see. Most of them should still be English. Can you confirm that? Or is every text string in the game in German?
Old 08-28-14, 06:22 PM   #10
glassbottom
Swabbie

In the game only certain words are in German.
All the dials are in German, but the messages are in English.

Similarly, the pre-mission info is all in English, but the previous/next tabs to change pages is in German.

So, there is a mixture of German and English text.

Just looked through the menu, and items 245 - 256 are the labels for the dials in game. The menu has them in their German names, and I see no English option.
Is this the case with all versions of Thomsen's download, or just the one for download via SubSim?

Last edited by glassbottom; 08-28-14 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 05:48 AM   #11
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I don't know. As I said, I don't have experience with this mod myself. Just downloaded this mod file to try and help you out as best as I could. Looks like this mod is just a partial translation, or a patch work of both the German an English text string files.

As for the installing of the mod, this seems to have gone as it should. It just is not so usefull if you do not know how to read German. Or I am missing the point of these inconsistancies. Hopefully someone else can shed more light on this.
Old 08-29-14, 02:42 PM   #12
glassbottom
Swabbie

Thanks for the help, it certainly looks like a frankenstein text file, as there seems to be little rhyme or reason as to what is in English and what is in German.

The good thing is I've downloaded and installed Magui, which overwrote a lot of the German text I was having issue with.
However, the speed charts are all written in German. Is this for effect, or should there be an English version of these charts available?

I also installed MEPS 4.3 which seems to be working.
I wanted to know whether installing the SH4 effects would conflict with MEPS, or do they augment different things?
Basically, will the SH4 effects help the game visually above and beyond what MEPS has already improved?
Old 08-29-14, 03:15 PM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Sorry, don't know much about those mods either. I'm not so fond of mod-soups. I stick to green pea soup.

[EDIT] Did you enable the "German Images for MaGui F" sub mod of Magui? You do not need it. If would have overwritten the English ones. Don't forget to take a look at the various text files in the modpack on how to install and use all the things. Makman94 did an extensive job of documenting it. But it can be a puzzle to find what you need.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-29-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 03:38 PM   #14
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Quote:
I also installed MEPS 4.3 which seems to be working.
I wanted to know whether installing the SH4 effects would conflict with MEPS, or do they augment different things?
Basically, will the SH4 effects help the game visually above and beyond what MEPS has already improved?
A quick look through the respective mod files shows that they do not change any of the same files. The SH4 mod does change some sound files though, so it would conflict with the Thomsen Sound Mod.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote