SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-12, 06:20 AM   #1
Pappy55
Engineer

Downloads: 173
Uploads: 0
Default Editing Renown?

I am using GWX 3.0 + SH3 Commander

I edit the basic.cfg for renown rewards but every time I run the game they get set back to the old values.

Whats going on? Is there anyway I can set higher renown rewards so I can play around with different boats and equipment easier?

I want to get a new command in a type IX ready for 'Operation Drumbeat'

Pappy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 06:37 AM   #2
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156

I also use the excellent mod GWX and was wondering the same. I am using fairly high realism settings.

On my last patrol where I hunted and hunted at low speed and regualar sound checks all I came across was single small tonnage targets. Two convoys reported were just too far away and one I did encounter in a gale was a nightmare with dud torpedoes and misses and I only managed to sink one 10,000 ton target. In real life I just would not have even got that as the tower was frequently under water and so there could have been no surface attack.

At this rate I will never earn enough renown for a type IX or will I?
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 07:17 AM   #3
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Uploads: 7

Well, one thing you could try is editing basic.cfg with Notepad. There is a value for Allied ships, which should currently be 1. If you change this 1 to for example 10000 you should get so much renown from the next ship you sink that it should be enough for all time.

You could also edit your save game files and change your current renown there. I don't remember which file you need to change and am not currently at my home computer.

The third way is to edit the files that give values for equipment. I changed acoustic and FAT and LUT torpedo values to zero, so I could get the loadout BdU stated in his orders for 1943 and 1944. Again I can't right now give you a hint where to find those files, but the file names for IX type submarines begin with "IX", IIRC.

Come to think of it I think I'll change my allied ship value from 1 to something like 1.3 because I like to sail with a type VII with a third less torpedoes than a type IX and can't possibly sink as many ships as I could with a type IX. I've never ever been promoted Kapitänleutnant although I've sink more tonnage than Kretschmer did (that was when I used automatic targeting - now I seldom get many ships sunk) and I think the game engine does not compensate for me patrolling in a less potent boat than a IX.

I think I should get more renown killing Goliath with a slingshot than killing him with a Predator drone.

Anyways, back to your problems. I hope someone points you to the right files and if not, I'll try to look the right files up when I get the time and my own computer.
Old 08-01-12, 07:40 AM   #4
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

You could always go into My Documents/SH3/data/cfg/Careers/(Your captains name here), and open the file Patrols_0 with notepad, scroll down to the bottom, find the entry DeltaRenown=, (should be the third from the bottom), and change the number to say 25000, and save. This should give you enough renoun to do what you want.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 07:59 AM   #5
Mowgli
Sparks

Downloads: 156

This is a difficult one. Part of the fun of the game is trying to earn the renown to upgrade weapons and systems.
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Mowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 10:46 AM   #6
zygoma
Loader

Downloads: 66

I had the same lust to try out fancier boats and ammo, and I pored through the various config files. I was able to make torpedoes drastically less expensive (like 40 renown points for a Type XI experimental eel) and happened upon the points rewarded for arrival at, and completion of, my patrol zone. In that career, I earn 4,500 for reaching my patrol zone and another 6,500 for completing it.
Accurate? Geez, no, but it's pretty easy to have a renown over 100k after just a couple of patrols, making it possible to get the latest and greatest stuff, even if it's just to be able to try out the "big boys' toys".
I stopped feeling guilty after my first 45,000 renown patrol. That's just one of my 8 characters; I leave the others at stock reward levels, but it gives those guys an idea for an upgrade path.
Zygoma (the perpetual n00b)

7/5 of adults don't understand fractions.

I'm told that two things can be reliably predicted to fail with increasing age. The first is memory. I can't remember the other right now.
zygoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-12, 12:09 PM   #7
Pappy55
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
This is a difficult one. Part of the fun of the game is trying to earn the renown to upgrade weapons and systems.
I would generally agree, but after 5 patrols with 66,000-ish tones to my name (Leader of the Aces so far) and little renown to show for it.

Never seemed to be an issue in the stock game SH3 commander + GWX 3.0 reverts any changes i make to the basic.cfg so I will try editing my save game files. (with a backup first of course)

There would be a bigger help but THAT would be cheating
Admiral Donitz: "I'm here to hep anything you need.."
Me "Give me an Akula class nuclear sub?"
Pappy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 12:45 AM   #8
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
You could always go into My Documents/SH3/data/cfg/Careers/(Your captains name here), and open the file Patrols_0 with notepad, scroll down to the bottom, find the entry DeltaRenown=, (should be the third from the bottom), and change the number to say 25000, and save. This should give you enough renoun to do what you want.
Thanks.. I just did this.. after 5 patrols with the type IIA , I was losing my mind going through the straights.

Needless to say, I'm early in the war, really early 39, but I wanted the type VIIB

so I just edited enough for that and still want to earn renown for equipment and stuff..

with me editing that, will it still give me renown?
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 01:22 AM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

Yes you will continue to get your normal renoun for your sinkings.

Old 02-15-13, 03:52 AM   #10
Gustav Schiebert
Sparky

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
I agree, it is fun to try and earn all the upgrades through the renown system. But I changed the basic.cfg file to make all the subs/upgrades cost 1 renown for two reasons:
  • I have realistic, real-world crew rotations (I do them manually and voluntarily), which means I have to spend large amounts of renown replacing officers)
  • Also I think it's less realistic to have to 'earn' your upgrades like that, they would be fitted as they became available with no regard to a commander's tonnage or 'renown'. Even the ultimate SH3 reward, the Type XXI, was not given to the top aces. The only operational cruise was carried out by Adalbert Schnee, who sunk about 90K tonnes and was 37th on the list of aces - he probably wouldn't have had 20K renown on SH3.
But that's just my two cents - I play for a realistic game, and people who are more interested in the fun experience might well use the renown system as an extra dimension to add a bit more reward into the game.

GWX 3 + OLC Gold + 100% Realism + Commander

"Attack! Always attack!"
Gustav Schiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 09:22 AM   #11
HW3
Navy Seal

Another thing is your kaleun's promotion is tied to how much renoun you have. If you get promoted and then buy some equipment, you might find yourself being demoted if your renoun falls below the promotion number. Not very realistic in my opinion, and one reason I edit my renoun in the patrol_0 file.

Old 02-15-13, 09:43 AM   #12
Gustav Schiebert
Sparky

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Another thing is your kaleun's promotion is tied to how much renoun you have. If you get promoted and then buy some equipment, you might find yourself being demoted if your renoun falls below the promotion number. Not very realistic in my opinion, and one reason I edit my renoun in the patrol_0 file.
I was just about to start another thread asking why I hadn't been promoted past Oblt after 4 years and 300,000 GRT, and 100% realism!

This would probably explain it. Is there any way to edit the values for new crew members as well?

Then, I could spend tiny amounts of renown on replacing my crew, spend tiny amounds on sub upgrades, then accrue the renown for ships naturally and get promoted? All else fails I'll seek out this patrol_0 file and edit it manually.

GWX 3 + OLC Gold + 100% Realism + Commander

"Attack! Always attack!"
Gustav Schiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-13, 10:30 AM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Schiebert View Post
But I changed the basic.cfg file to make all the subs/upgrades cost 1 renown for two reasons:
I play for a realistic game, and people who are more interested in the fun experience might well use the renown system as an extra dimension to add a bit more reward into the game.
I always find it entertaining that two people can both play for "realism" and yet have such different ideas about what is realistic.

I edit my awarded renown to give 0 for neutral ships and -1 for friendlies, on the principle that kaleuns were not penalized for sinking neutrals, but I didn't want to get rewarded for them either, and every single instance of sinking a friendly led to a court-martial that invariably concluded that the kaleun was not at fault.

I tried having realistic crew rotations, but in SH3 when you hit a storm their stamina gives out after only two hours, and in a Type II you just can't do it. So I set my Commander for 'No Fatigue' and don't worry about it, as in real life they rotate themselves and it's not the captain's problem.

And yet we both consider our attempts to be "realistic".
Old 02-15-13, 10:36 AM   #14
HW3
Navy Seal

Quote:
Is there any way to edit the values for new crew members as well?
I've got to go out for awhile, I'll look when I get back.

Old 02-15-13, 02:08 PM   #15
HW3
Navy Seal

I'm back and had a look. It's going to take someone smarter than me to find it because I couldn't find it.